UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

SdSXX7Bh_o.jpg

As Patrick approached the narrow neck entrance to the coal yard at Dearne on Sea, he was greeted with a mythic labyrinth of crisscrossing tracks and slip-switches. It was amazing that any train managed to navigate this without getting shunted onto the wrong sidings.

0j2YPhwm_o.jpg

He was still seething at the idiot he had for a fireman. Mickey hadn’t said anything further since Lammas Junction, but kept up the coal fairly well and watched the water levels properly. As they passed through the narrow corridor that then opened out into the coal yard, he spotted their siding, right next to the rake of loaded coal wagons.

“Listen, fireman,” he said sternly to Mickey, “You aren’t from around here. You have many years before you can test for driver. If you have any hope of making that, you keep your mouth shut, eyes wide open, learn all you can about how things work here, and go along to get along. Otherwise, you’ll be taking fares as a bus conductor on a two storey local.”

Life on the railroad.

Great shots and stories guys! Apologies I haven't had many if any shots coming out. I'm not 100% happy with the mapping and UTD placement on the NVR/NVLR so nothing interesting (in my opinion) to show. Between work and some testing I do for Star Citizen I don't have as much time as I like. I don't wish for a lockdown, just the spare time I had during it :hehe:

oYVoE3d0_o.jpg

Two freights pass at speed in the Dearne-On-Sea yard, expertly switched by the signalman. Note the passenger coach in the background, slowing as it approaches the main passenger terminal.

re post #3198 Tanker46

Here you go Tanker46, another shot of your excellent B4, I hope you don't mind that I've added a 71A shed plate and changed the lamps to SR discs.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

No I don't mind at all! You're an excellent content creator and I don't mind you tinkering with the model as long as its tasteful! You have my full permission! :)

I really like the second screenshot of the Standard 4 with a mixed goods. The steam effect looks stunning in the snow and I really like the Drummond 700 Class simmering in the background!

Also, excellent screenshots Heinrich! I must take some time to read through you whole story! It looks really interesting! :)

Time for some more Pre-Grouping Dearnby!

In 1900 the GWR began building a class of 2-6-0 locomotives designed by William Dean for hauling heavy coal trains between Swindon and Aberdare. The design was a resounding success and as such the 'Aberdare Class' was born.

When the first locomotives of this class were constructed, they were loaned out to multiple different regions in the southwest to test the viability of the new engine class on other areas of the GWR's network.

Dearnby Central was one of those regions. Although the GWR wouldn't have a permanent MPD presence there until 1925, the Aberdares allocated there were permitted to be roaded in the sheds owned by the LSWR - for a substantial fee of course.

Aberdare No. 2633 was one of the most profitable engines the GWR had at Dearnby and remained in service until it's scrapping in 1949. During it's tenure on the Dearnby District it worked almost exclusively as a goods engine and helped the industries of Dearnby flourish.

m07KKFX.jpg
[/IMG]

On this day, the 2600 class is filling up on coal for a drop-off goods as every coal station between St Bennett and Dearnby Junction is in need of a top up.

Stopped by signals, 2633 waits for a LSWR stopping train to pass by to begin it's journey.

Further down the line, the stopping train received the all clear signal to pass to Dearnby Central. The locomotive in question is LSWR T9 No.703 a "Greyhound" of Drummond's own making.

O0BYCPc.jpg
[/IMG]

wrMeiIX.jpg
[/IMG]

YZXEU5x.jpg
[/IMG]

The Greyhounds were considerably popular and stayed in the majority of the LSWR's main MPDs for express passenger work in and out of major cities. No.703 is filling in for one of Dearnby's P14s as it is due for an annual maintenance check. Many years later Dearnby would become a safe haven for many Greyhounds (including No.703) as they were phased out in favor of stronger and faster locomotives.

aX704fT.jpg
[/IMG]

6T7ItAH.jpg
[/IMG]

As 703 passes with the stopping train, the signalman gives the go ahead and switches the points so that 2633 can head on its way.

YoUXwSJ.jpg
[/IMG]

bN2P4B7.jpg
[/IMG]

2e4yUjo.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you both! And that praise really made my day Heinrich! :) I've got a long ways to go with my shots before I come close to Evilcrow's magnificence, but your screenshots are pretty high caliber as well! I really enjoyed the story you told from the perspective of the 5100's crew! And that last shot looks almost like a real photograph! Nicely done indeed! :D

As 2633 makes its way along it's coal run it stops at every station it comes across. Having already made stops at St. Bennet, Badgercombe and Huneaton, the Aberdare slows as it makes its descent into Frowhill Station just a few stations shy of Dearnby Central. 2633's crew love coming to Frowhill as they get the most reactions from the station and passengers.

DHXXU0Y.jpg
[/IMG]

DmkaIyL.jpg

Driver Charlie Starkey wrote about his encounters in his memoirs he published in 1955:

Out of all the stations I visited in my youth, Frowhill was the most welcoming. By the time we got down to the platform every month, they had been running on coal dust for nearly a week! The way they treated us you would've thought we were hauling the Cornishman or the like! :)

CyznNhl.jpg
[/IMG]

CSuFUI2.jpg
[/IMG]

And the people.. Ah! Never will you find a better crop of ladies and gents. A fair young doll named Priscilla would meet me at the end of the platform with a small lunch each time we waited to unload our 'welsh gold' as it were. She was a real church bell when it came to those conversations but to my own surprise I found myself taken by it and before long I was carrying a torch for her. I guess it was to the surprise of no one when we got hammered for life in the spring of 1919 and made a home for ourselves just a stone's throw away from the station yard!

Last edited:
Tanker46,
Thanks for the kind words - always appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the story. I especially liked that vintage screenshot too, taken with the platinum effect prior to early color photos.

As for Starkey's memoirs, that was really masterfully done! :cool: You had me double-checking on Google Earth to make sure there wasn't really a Frowhill, UK. ;) Your set of screenshots really made the vignette.

Heinrich505

Thank you for the compliments; Tanker46, Heinrich505 and Matt.
It's been most enjoyable to see your tasty screenshots for the UK and across the water for Matt's PRR masterpiece.

Cheers, evilcrow

Excellent Screenshots of the N Class Evilcrow! This route is absolutely stunning and I hope I can take my LBSCR locomotives on a run on it one day! :D

I actually wanted to compliment you on your FEF-3 locomotives as I took them for a spin this last weekend on the Powder River Basin! They are incredible designs! :)

As for Starkey's memoirs, that was really masterfully done! You had me double-checking on Google Earth to make sure there wasn't really a Frowhill, UK. Your set of screenshots really made the vignette.

Thank you Heinrich! This is one of the nicest things ever said to me on the forums! I appreciate your support!

That's definitely not the last you've heard from Mr. Starkey. It just so happens that his whole family has a long history of being railway men in the west of England. Here's another excerpt from Starkey's memoirs...

tOmF7IZ.jpg
[/IMG]

feIYCbe.jpg
[/IMG]

YJeFB1l.jpg
[/IMG]

I still remember one of my first spring coal runs in the early spring of April 1913. It was right after I got hired on the GWR at the age of 14. I was just a fireboy then and the run was an industry top off at the powerplant at Dearnby Junction. Fredrick and I were just about to pull up to unload the 40 ton wagons when the switch clicked against us.

"Well that's just tops." He groaned. "The King coming through or suumat?"

My ex-Yorkshire driver had me interested at the prospect of a royal visit, but my hopes were dashed when I heard the familiar whistle of a London and South Western engine.

It was my turn to groan when a blur of sage green appeared out of nowhere and a LSWR P14 bolted into view.

"No, it's just my blasted brother back from London." I spat.

My brother Edward who was two years my senior, had found his way into passenger work on the LSWR. Mum would always rave about the special trains she was allowed to partake in due to his status as an express driver. He's the competitive sort and always sings the praises of the LSWR whenever we meet. Nope. It's the GWR for me until my last day thank you very much.

"Ah! The Strider!" Fredrick said with excitement. "Where's it coming from this time?

From the looks of the headcodes, he was making his way back to Dearnby Central with the Southwest Strider service from Dearnby to Nine Elms via the Guildford line.

My heart sank further as I watched the train reduce speed and glide effortlessly into the station. I had to go up to the stationmaster's office for the drop-off paperwork. No doubt I was in for another career change speech..

Last edited:
Tanker46,
Yep, another really nice excerpt! Thanks for posting. There's just no competing with the glamour of passenger service, heh heh. Then again, when you are running on coal fumes at the house, the grimy old freight pulling in the coal delivery will get a bigger gathering of townspeople than the King and his entourage. :hehe:

Heinrich505

Agreed. I like to think that Charlie chose freight service to set himself apart from his brother. Close but always in competition.

From what my grandfather told me that was a very common way of distinguishing yourself back then. He did the same thing when he joined the Erie Railroad at 15 while his brother worked on the PRR.

Dearnby definitely has a huge appreciation for coal trains though. The entire route is dependent on the stuff so it's no surprise that they get all up in arms about it! :hehe:

Excellent pictures and great storytelling as well. The internet here has been flakey so I haven't been able to keep up with things over the past few days.

Testing on Lickey. My refresh of this old Precursor tank engine has finally passed muster after needing material faults repaired and has been approved for upload to the DLS

9kbr6En.jpg

Your Precursor reskin looks even better in game Annie! I just saw it posted to the DLS so I am going to grab it for myself once I am done here! :)

Another set of Pre-Grouping Shots from Dearnby. Starkey still has more stories to tell...

swRpK2K.jpg
[/IMG]

cePzNUW.jpg
[/IMG]

rST9Y5c.jpg
[/IMG]

Summer 1919: A lot of time has passed since I first began on the GWR. Once a 14 year old fireboy, I was now a 20 year old engine driver with a home and a wife - who was unexpectedly with child! In order to make sure we had the money for the little one I started picking up extra shifts on freight runs with my old partner - Aberdare 2633. This trip was one of my longest - a heavy lumber train to Newton Abbot, far beyond my home.

"Careful there youngster!" I barked. "You're gonna catch fire if you don't keep your wits about ya!"

The Great War had not been kind to old Blighty. So many young Brits were drafted to fight and so few of us came back. My elder brother Edward made it back alive, but he's still struggling with a gimp leg. But Fredrick.. Poor man never made it back from the Somme.. After hearing about it I insisted on becoming 2633's next driver so his lessons would not be in vain. Young Toby was assigned to me as my fireboy in 1917. Just a year older than I was when I joined the railway. A bit clumsy this lad is, but he's determined and a hard worker.

"Sorry gov." He replied. "Was lookin at that saddle tank ahead."

I turned to look in the direction of his gaze. A small Holcroft saddle tank trundled slowly near us as it lined up the reamining macaws for our journey north.

"It's just Burt, Donald and 1365 on his way to finish our lineup." I remarked. "That little saddle tank's been working Badgercombe dock as long as I can remember."

"Must be a boring job." Toby mused. "Running the same stretch of line all day every day.."

Although I didn't reply back then, I actually envied Burt and Donald a bit. The idea of idling trucks around the yard and then going home to the family on time seems like the ideal life to me, but the boy just was too young to get it yet.

"Path's Clear Gov!" Toby called out.

I nodded as I blew one blast on the whistle and moved the regulator backward to bear down on our lumber train. As we passed 1365 one last time, I noticed the new GWR emblem emblazend on the saddle tank of the dock shunter. Surely a sign of change to come..

Bdn9xkO.jpg
[/IMG]

kVGjE80.jpg
[/IMG]

M9yHaVR.jpg
[/IMG]

Tanker46,

"The idea of idling trucks around the yard and then going home to the family on time seems like the ideal life to me, but the boy just was too young to get it yet."

Ah, yes, we get older and wiser as time goes along. Twenty years old with a family coming along - yes, lots of extra shifts in his future. :eek:

Heinrich505

Back