UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

There's still a lot of content creators using GMax Rutger. If it does what you want and you know how to use it you might as well keep on with it. Sketchup 8 with my 'L' plates on is about my level when it comes to 3D software so I use IM Editor to fix problems with older models. I don't know of any tutorials and I've largely learned to use it by trying things and seeing what happens, but others here might know more.

Lots more detail needed, and still not keen on the trees, but it's starting to take shape. Anyone else old enough to remember the limestone loader on David Jenkinson's original Marthwaite layout?? Thot not, LOL...

On a more serious note, can anyone recommend a Region with traffic, suit rural UK 1930-40ish??

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

I did 3 or 4 Uk 1920s-30s regions located in Norfolk clekev. The main difference is the road vehicles with buses and trucks, no buses, no buses and IC trucks, but steam trucks instead and no road traffic. You will need to have purchased the Potteries Loop Line (PLL) though in order to obtain most of the road vehicles. Other vehicles are by Jay Holland and someone else whose name I've forgotten. An accurate animated model of a McKenzie & Holland point lever is the junction default.
Almost needless to say these are the Uk regions I use on my own layouts.

"Region Uk [1920s] (PLL needed)" <kuid2:768291:10544:2> (has an LMS delivery van).

"Region Uk [1920s] No buses (PLL needed)" <kuid:768291:11896> (no LMS van, but has a green Morris van with wonderful sound effects instead).

"Region Uk [1920s] No buses No trucks (PLL needed)" <kuid:768291:12272> (has steam trucks and steam tractors instead of IC trucks not quite the best one I did, but see for yourself).

"Region Uk [1920s] No Traffic" <kuid:768291:12978> (intended for rural areas with a lot of horse drawn traffic and sorry there's no animated horse drawn vehicles).

I must say I like that road model you are using. As for trees I don't like moving established layouts over to TRS19 because I know I'm going to be messing around changing and adjusting trees for weeks afterwards.

Last edited:
There's still a lot of content creators using GMax Rutger. If it does what you want and you know how to use it you might as well keep on with it. Sketchup 8 with my 'L' plates on is about my level when it comes to 3D software so I use IM Editor to fix problems with older models. I don't know of any tutorials and I've largely learned to use it by trying things and seeing what happens, but others here might know more.

Thank you for your reply! Once i've managed to download IM editor (not working right now, but I will try) I will check how it can help for me. Main concern is the look of the colours and lining on my engines. In some colour combinations (very dark green with black lining) it is not realy visible. I already tried edding env_metal but that was a bit too much :) In the example you and the others are showing, only one added env_metal I guess in order to improve the looks of the engine.

Kind regards,
Rutger

I see you all guys/girls delivering good quality when fixing older contents with newer m.tbumpenv (etc.) textures. Are there any tutorials somewhere how to do it? And maybe easier with gmax compared to IM Editor? I have still stuck to gmax while creating some trains, due to the lack of time and big archive of exchangeable components.

Here's a link to a N3V bumpenv tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGkb6nvg5I

I've changed the material to bumpenv in imeditor and Gmax, and prefer the latter. It's a straightforward process using either method.
I think the thing to watch is the Alpha of the diffuse texture. It's very easy to overdo the strength of sky reflection. My starting point has been an almost black 12,12,12.

If you want any help send me a private message.

Chris.

'Sharpie' No.12 at work at Moxbury. With these old Sharp Stewart tank engines from TS2004 days I had to change 'Reflect' to 'Onetex' for everything except the brass work to stop their textures getting eaten up with a horrible white out effect in TRS19. I gave them a touch of 141,179,226 (light blue) on their ambient, diffuse and specular settings for the main body colour which seemed to perk it up just nicely so it didn't look too dull. They aren't perfect, but they certainly look better than what they did before.

Thanks for the link to the bumpenv tutorial Chris.

t9J0gqR.jpg

6ZuRHA6.jpg

ppH0KEP.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a link to a N3V bumpenv tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGkb6nvg5I

I've changed the material to bumpenv in imeditor and Gmax, and prefer the latter. It's a straightforward process using either method.
I think the thing to watch is the Alpha of the diffuse texture. It's very easy to overdo the strength of sky reflection. My starting point has been an almost black 12,12,12.

If you want any help send me a private message.

Chris.

Thank you Chris. I've tried to follow the tutorial yesterday but it did not work (trying to copy the 3DSmax steps into Gmax). I will contact you, since I had difficulties adding an alpha channel in the first place :)

Kind regards,
Rutger

That's a wonderfully atmospheric sky Ken.

Testing continues on my Norfolk layout with me re-writing and testing schedules (and falling asleep in the middle of it), but I'm making progress.
I caught a snap of MS&LR 9F No.535 pausing at Brenton Wood to pick up passengers.

BrvrUSs.jpg

Excellent screenshots Ken! I'm a big fan of those King Arthurs and Sir Meliagrance looks beautiful coasting along the mainline like that.

Two different eras for these screenshots. tmz06003 finally made a model of the Class 22 "Baby Warship" and I had to try it out. It's an excellent little type 2 and it helps in many many ways. :)

kmsfErs.jpg
[/IMG]

The other shot is from Dearnby 1900-1910s. Camscott just released his new LNWR 2-2-2 Cornwall. It's a beautiful model and I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of LNWR Locos! :D

bZfyiQJ.jpg
[/IMG]

c4K8Z30.jpg
[/IMG]

2txar8s.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
The cab on Cornwall is superb!!

@ KatangaGirl: The roads are old content, Yarn L2 DLO KUID2:124017:26010:2. The original intersections no longer work, but matching textures are on T-Intersection KUID2:95230:101354:2 and X-Road KUID2:95230:101353:2

Can't decide if this route is somewhere in Scotland or the Dales, not that it matters overmuch, it's all pretend anyway, but here we see a heavily overworked K3 deputising for a failed Pacific grinding upgrade with a heavy excursion on a splendid summer Saturday....

Oops on the BR 0-6-0 I'd forgotten was parked outside the shed, and 'people', even good ones, are better not placed where they are likely to be front-and-center of a screenshot....

Andy :)

@clekev or Maybe Far North Line?, looking really nice

Actually downloaded a old route Scotland by Rail even though not accurate as the author says, looks quite good, only 2 missing the Indoor Sauna that come up as :127 and another I don't know what it is yet, of course No procedural track and some of those older tree just don't work in TRS19 either but still ok.

Something else I found intresting. He said it included the Highland line .. think he has got very confused or does not know the area, the highland line starts at Perth not modeled, what I think he is calling the Highland Line is actually the old NBR line.that part of was shared by Caledonian

Tom

Last edited:
#4053. Wherever your layout is in the British Isles clekev it looks good. Thanks for the information about the road models you are using.

#4052. 'Cornwall' certainly looks magnificent on Dearnby Tanker, but I find myself wondering what's wrong with its dome. It seems awfully dull for brass.

I downloaded tmz06003's 'Baby Warship', but I haven't really had a chance to do anything with it yet. I dropped it into the 'Cornwall Mainline and Branches' route since that would have been familiar territory for a 'Baby Warship', but that's about all.

8LWYfri.jpg

Re post #4051 KotangaGirl
Thanks for the compliment Annie. Your route is progressing well.
re post #4052 Tanker46
Thanks for the compliment. King Arthurs magic names and fine machines.
re post #4053 clekev
Another fine set of screenies.

Still inTANE

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken, - yes it's getting there. I'm still at the stage of having to herd about, reposition and adjust hundreds of trees though.
But at least the trains are running reasonably reliably now.

At Great Mulling MPD the inspection coach and it's special engine are being readied for the district engineer.

ZpfxAcy.jpg

.... Regarding your second point about the Hull and Barnsley 6T Vans. They are a new design by my buddy who did the MK1s and the new GWR Stock I've been touting about. They're not available yet but they should be in the near future! They are based off the HB molds Hornby did for OO Gauge during the 80s so there are quite a few interesting livery designs! ;)

IqMvVz9.jpg
[/IMG]

Very interesting to see these versions of the famous Hornby H&B vans. I offered my own versions a few years back utilising Jack Barber's high detailed wheel-base:

51217637015_f62fc5b8a1_h.jpg

Will these be released? (I can feel a weathered reskin coming on!)

Paul

re post #4057 KotangaGirl
Most interesting loco and coach Annie, rare haulage indeed.
re post #4059 Paulsw2
I hope you get your reskin wish Paul.

Still in TANE

Cheers, evilcrow

@ KotangaGirl - Classic!!

@ evilcrow - Nice, I need to go on a mega rolling stock hunt, dls search engine is such a pain!!

Thanks all. I believe the antique single driver well tank I posted a picture of was built by George England & Co and in later years it was rebuilt into an inspection loco with a small carriage section mounted on its rear frames.

Playing trains at Moxbury with Rob Dee's new GER 6 wheel coaches.

T8MBc22.jpg

Back