UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Thanks very much Ian and Graham. Little country railways are very much my thing. Doesn't suit everyone I suppose, but I like them.

The 12:30 p.m. Aberdeen to London Kings Cross Express Fish

Some screenshots using Evertrainz rolling stock. His new BR 12T Insulated Fish vans to Diagram 800 and BR 13T Conflat A.
Here, in Scotland on the TRS2019 route ECML - Edinburgh to Dundee a Thompson B1 4-6-0 has charge of the Up 12:30 p.m. Express Fish from Aberdeen to London Kings Cross.
The B1 4-6-0 has the capability to keep the schedule but it is hard work for the footplate crew.

Above, the 12:30 approaches and passes through Broughty Ferry station on the north bank of the Tay estuary between Dundee and Arbroath.

Running along the north bank of the Tay estuary and passing a goods train bound for Aberdeen.

Climbing from Dundee to the Tay Bridge.

Crossing the Tay Bridge with Dundee behind the train on the north bank.

Excellent screenshots Frank. Evertrainz new fish vans are outstanding pieces of work and the attention to detail is incredible.

Good shots Frank, and thanks Annie for the compliment.

I used to think that it wasn’t particularly prototypical to represent the Aberdeen Fish trains with only the Blue Spot vans, but one of the five fish trains booked south from Aberdeen was diagrammed for only the Blue spot vans. Quite a monotonous look! The relief timing train from Aberdeen after the first Blue spot working was more a medley of wagons from MK1s to ex-LNER 12T vans and even Brakevans in the mix.

St_Neots_The_Down_%27Blue_Spot%27_fish_empties_geograph-2338881-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

And I've been inspired :)

This one is supposedly taken at Stafford outskirts or somewhere around there, Aberdeen fish bound for Birmingham Moor St..

Last edited:
Post #2346 - Nice screenshots Borderreiver! You are completely right about these Blue Spot Vans! I am really getting a kick out of Ron's new rolling stock! Out of curiosity, what route is 61018 traveling on? Is that of your own creation? The Tay Bridge looks astounding! :)

bA1sbIl.jpg
[/IMG]

(Please excuse the poor quality of the shot. TS19 did something to the cameras in the SP1 update and I'm struggling to get them right again :( )

Post #2349 - It must make you really happy to see so many people enjoying you vans! You did an awesome job Ron and I want to say thank you on behalf of us all!

Btw, the Black Five is looking spectacular. I'm gonna have to send you some updates on the "4MT" when I get a chance.. ;)

Hi Tanker, thanks! I am definitely glad people are enjoying my rolling stock, more will come once I get a workflow for updating my stuff and doing LODs and things of the sort.

Also is that SnC in TRS19?

King Coal

Tanker, it is the ECML Edinburgh to Dundee route, part of TRS19. I have carefully tried to keep the late 1960s Tay Road bridge and 1970s road traffic out of the shots!

Whilst long distance express passenger trains are the glamour of the steam railway the real money lies in shifting freight, particularly "king" coal. From the single wagonload hauled to a private siding to the heaviest train loads slowly proceeding towards London along the main lines a steady stream of revenue fills the coffers of the railway business.

Here, close by South Pelaw Junctionm which sits astride the original alignment of the former 1830s Stanhope and Tyne route stands Pelaw Colliery. It has a connection to the main line railway and makes its small daily contribution to the river of "black diamond" flowing out of the countryside towards the coal staithes at Pallion, Tyne Dock and Dunston, with other flows to coke works, gas works and industry. An elderly long-boiler 0-6-0ST works both the colliery and the incline down to the exchange sidings.

The 0-6-0T crosses the Pelton Road with a short loaded rake of 20 Ton P7 Hopper wagons. leading away in the distance is the N.E.R. 1896 diversion route via Beamish to Consett. the industrial plant is the coke works at Stella Gill.

Descending the incline to the exchange sidings which are connected to the main line railway by a track which runs behind the signal cabin at South Pelaw Junction. The brakes would have been pinned down since it is more accurate to say that the rake in pushing the saddle tank loco down the incline rather than the loco hauling the rake down the incline.

Entering the exchange siding. The long boilered type was a very old style of loco, dating back to the days of the Stockton & Darlington Railway. They were well suited to spending long periods idling at collieries and sidings, building up boiler pressure for the time when they would be required to do their work shunting and hauling trains over relatively short distances.

Last edited:
Nice screenshot Tanker. I haven't done much yet with SP1 except scowl at it.

Great screenshots and a informative post to go with it Frank. I have to know where you got that wonderful long boiler saddle tank from though as it looks to be a very nicely made model indeed.

Hello Annie

The 0-6-0ST is a Consett Iron Company "A" Class loco. Paul built a set for me back in early 2015.

The oldest examples were saddle tanks, built for the C.I.C. by Kitson circa 1872, but later examples were pannier tanks. They had a 4ft diameter boiler and operated at 140 PSI.
Paul built both types for me.
Believe it or not but an example of the pannier tank, A No.5 still exists in preservation.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/kitson-2509.jpg

It's nice that one survived Frank. It would be the saddle tank that mainly interests me though. I wonder if I emailed Paul he would sell me one.

Hi Tanker, thanks! I am definitely glad people are enjoying my rolling stock, more will come once I get a workflow for updating my stuff and doing LODs and things of the sort.

Also is that SnC in TRS19?

Yes it is! At the moment the GCR 15 is too much for my laptop to handle so I have combined most of my LNER/LMS stock on the S&C for the most part. Since I typically work farther south I don't use it as much as I should but I couldn't pass up the chance to take your new vans for a joyride. ;)

I sincerely look forward to seeing what else you are working on in the future - the Black Five looks exceptional to say the least. My work on the 4MT hit a small snag since but seeing it inspired me to take another crack at the parts needed to complete it! :)

Thanks Graham. K&SER in Winter by angelah is an old favourite of mine. It was no trouble at all to transfer it over to TS2019 and all I had to change were most of the Winter trees and I also changed the ancient TS2004 track for Winter procedural track.
Where I live in the Waikato we might see the smallest dusting of snow on the highest hills, but it only lasts for barely an hour before the sun melts it. Rain and damp river mists are our usual Winter fare here.

Thanks very much Ian. I have a bit of a weakness for snow/Winter layouts.

A GCR 9J in charge of a fish train at days end on my Norfolk layout. My fish vans aren't a patch on Ron's beautiful models.

7qo56BK.jpg

Back