UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

A Britannia and Scottish Fish

I have decided to take a path I do not often tread and post a screenshot of a BR Standard Class loco at work.

It is a paulhobbs payware item (built in I think) and a venerable 2.9 build. 70019 LIGHTNING finds herself in Scotland approaching Broughty Ferry with the Up 12:15 pm Fish from Aberdeen bound for London Kings Cross. Probably late 1961 or early 1962, since between September 1961 and June 1962 LIGHTNING was allocated to Carlisle Kingmoor shed. It appears that a working or perhaps two has taken her north to Aberdeen and Ferryhill shed has commandeered her to take the up fish, perhaps as far as Dundee but potentially even Edinburgh, where 7F power in the form of an A1 or A2 Pacific can be substituted for the brit. Haymarket will then be left with the job of getting her back to Kingmoor, unless they "slopey shoulder" it off on to Heaton or Gateshead shed at Newcastle Central. It is a shorter run across to Kingmoor from there but a Brit on the Newcastle to Carlisle will have spotters going mad to get her in their Ian Allen book. A Britannia north of York is rare enough but a sighting at Newcastle is the stuff of trainspotting legend, even in 1961.

Last edited:
I'm keen on Atlantics Tanker. I have both the GWR French De Glehn Atlantics and the GWR 'Scott' Atlantics that were later rebuilt as 4-6-0s. The time of the GWR Atlantics was only brief and even after being rebuilt with GWR boilers the De Glehn Atlantics didn't last long.

Your IOW screenshots look interesting, but I see the problem of TS2019's lighting strikes again. I haven't run TANE for a while and it was nice to be able to run trains without having to mess about with fighting TS2019's stupid lighting controls.

EUVWDmn.jpg
[/IMG]

GAjnfJZ.jpg
[/IMG]

MDU4hTZ.jpg
[/IMG]

KNF9IyT.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the support Annie! The IOW rout is something I discovered while I was browsing the DLS today. As far as I know the route should be compatible with TANE and TS19 since it was built for TS12.
But I agree with you - that's why my Southern Region project is being built in TANE!

The lack of a BR E1 haunts me though... Might have to add that to the list in the near future. :hehe:

I do like a de Glehn Atlantic. One of the few GWR locos I'd ever be tempted to do my own model of...

Now that is something I'm sure we'd all love to see! :D

While looking for the IOW layout in Tanker's screenshots I found an updated version of the TS2004 K&ESR route by AngelaH. It's by mrfibble for TS2012 and it was uploaded in April this year and I'm not sure how I managed to miss seeing it. I've loaded the route into TANE SP3 rather than TS2012 because I want to start making a transition away from TS2012.
Mrfibble has done a great job of fixing the various faults with the original layout and he's used a wide variety of billboard trees to great effect. In terms of a variety of types and good appearance it's very much proof that in the right situations billboard trees are much better and look better than speed trees.
I've got my own part built update version of the K&ESR in TS2019, but I've made up my mind to not complete it. TANE SP3 is far more user friendly than TS2019 so I won't try to build anymore routes using it. TS2019 is just a fight all the way when it comes to using surveyor. If it wasn't for the fact that I have 19th century routes in TS2019 that I've put a lot of work into as well as 19th century rolling stock I (foolishly) commissioned for TS2019 I'd be packing it up and sending it off to the archive hard drive of shame. When TS2019 first came out I really liked it, then N3V started messing with it and that was when I started to lose interest.

I did eventually download the IOW route into TANE and it was awfully nice to start up a route for the first time and not have it looking like it's five minutes before the sun went supernova and burned the earth to a crisp.

8XoD1uU.jpg

iP5bmHB.jpg

XoDbro1.jpg

1u4qSRQ.jpg

Last edited:
This is all a bit different...... The IOW route is really nice. Not hyper-realistic or totally fastidious to prototype, but just nicely and carefully put together. The IOW Central Railway Terriers were bundled with my K&ESR ones for some reason so I dusted them off and installed them on the layout. I didn't have a clue what coaches would have been appropriate so my generic teak litho 6 wheelers were pressed into service.

XYnlT3u.jpg

Re posts by KotangaGirl, Tanker46, tailight98, euromodeller and borderreiver, thanks for the shots and the interesting info. The IOW railway and the island is a must to visit, once this dreadful virus is gone.

LBSCR WIP

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

I really do! Thank you Graham! My favorite part of the website is the Locomotive profiles for the IOW's engines. Once the virus lifts I plan on taking a family trip there!

I hope they can restore Yarmouth to steam soon. That little E1 is looking more and more like an interesting Trainz project by the day.

Those look a bit too Star Wars for an old Luddite like me Graham.

#3334. Beautiful atmospheric screenshots evilcrow.

More IOW. The new Terriers for TANE are lovely to drive.

FyvzY6c.jpg

Thanks for all the IOW shots really love the islands railways, never finished my NG version, at NG speeds of 25 MPH on mainline and 15MPH through stations the time matched the original timetable using the DEM I downloaded.

Tom

If you go to the Isle of Wight then you should cross from the mainland on one of these, they stop next to the railway station...

I'm surprised to see the IOW hovercraft is still in service. I made a return trip from IOW to Southsea on the hovercraft way back in 1977 during the Queen's Silver Jubilee weekend celebrations. I was in the RN at the time and off duty so spent a few days on the IOW with a few mates - what a great weekend that was, the IOW was seething with tourists from all over the world, lots of nice young ladies!

Rob.

I'm surprised to see the IOW hovercraft is still in service. I made a return trip from IOW to Southsea on the hovercraft way back in 1977 during the Queen's Silver Jubilee weekend celebrations. I was in the RN at the time and off duty so spent a few days on the IOW with a few mates - what a great weekend that was, the IOW was seething with tourists from all over the world, lots of nice young ladies!

Rob.

I believe its one of only two commercial passenger hovercraft routes left in the world the other is in South East Asia somewhere. It's something I'd really like to do, I've been to the Isle of Wight many times, but always by boat...

Those de Glehn screenshots inspired me to go and find out more about them. I discovered a French train forum which had a whole thread on Atlantic type locos from all over the world, including loads of drawings. I was able to gather enough information for models of several of my favourite Atlantic types plus a few new ones I hadn't known of before.

Those de Glehn screenshots inspired me to go and find out more about them. I discovered a French train forum which had a whole thread on Atlantic type locos from all over the world, including loads of drawings. I was able to gather enough information for models of several of my favourite Atlantic types plus a few new ones I hadn't known of before.

Oh be still my racing heart. As a long time enthusiast for Atlantics I can hardly wait to see what you might build Ed.

Likewise. I know the GWR isn't your favorite road but if you choose to model the GWR Atlantics I am sure EVERYONE will be amazed by them. :)

Back