UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

1908 - A 59 Class Substitution

Things went wrong every now and again on the steam railway.

The usual rostering of a C1 Class 0-6-0 on the 10.22 am working from Harrogate to West Hartlepool has been stymied by a failure. Starbeck shed also had a McDonnell 59 Class 0-6-0 allocated and while not a perfect substitute was pressed in to service since it was both fitted and equipped with a steam heating connection. Therefore, the shed foreman considered it adequate in order to avoid cancelling the train. The District Passenger Superintendant would have signed off on it. This means that it also would have worked the 1.35 pm West Hartlepool to Northallerton stopping passenger train and it is caught on camera approaching Northallerton station.

A WCR railtour on the Swanage Railway:
E2w5B4X.jpg

FRGkWSe.jpg

YXSKIyr.jpg

xhYH32Z.jpg

PUOV25L.jpg

qb2wp0J.jpg

hsZNCwI.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Oh that made me laugh Tanker, -Queen Anne's Revenge, - that was indeed a new one that nobody has passed by me before.

True enough I don't like diesels much, but I will have the occasional green 'Warship' and 'Baby Warship' run by on the mainline from time to time. I'm placing the Ashington Branch somewhere in a fold in the map between Bristol and Bath and that was very much Class 22 'Baby Warship' territory in the later part of the 1950s. I can most probably play 'rescue the broken down DMU with a steam engine' on the branchline from time to time as well.

Thanks, I was really pleased with how No.41202 turned out. No.41202 is the clean one though, the other two have Paul's weathering option so I might have to try something a bit different with them.

Q4mVNH0.jpg

CkbxGjI.jpg

Glad to hear it! It makes me happy to hear I can bring a smile to your face!

I always find myself in the same stance on Dismals as you. I don't particularly hate them but between steam and diesel I will be in the steam camp every single time.

The Western Diesels are a couple of exceptions to this the Class 41 NBL Warships, Class 22 Baby Warships and Class 35 Hymeks looks great operating alongside steam engines and Maunsell and Bulleid's diesel designs are the limit for me.

As for the toothpaste tubes, I have learned to grow rather fond of the early era EMUs and I love to go "rescuing" them when the third rail fails. Heck, that's part of the reason one of my little E2s works an Autotrain service to Worthing and back! :hehe:

#4443. I always felt a bit sorry for McDonnell's Class 59 0-6-0s Frank. They were supposed to be the bees knees, - only they weren't, - and they spent their working lives not being liked much by the footplate crews and being the spare engine nobody wanted.

#4444. Is that the loco and Mk1 coaches bundled with the Looe branch route PLP? Always good to see Swanage again.

#4446. That's a really nice smokey city terminus screenshot from you Ken.

Glad to hear it! It makes me happy to hear I can bring a smile to your face!

I always find myself in the same stance on Dismals as you. I don't particularly hate them but between steam and diesel I will be in the steam camp every single time.

The Western Diesels are a couple of exceptions to this the Class 41 NBL Warships, Class 22 Baby Warships and Class 35 Hymeks looks great operating alongside steam engines and Maunsell and Bulleid's diesel designs are the limit for me.

As for the toothpaste tubes, I have learned to grow rather fond of the early era EMUs and I love to go "rescuing" them when the third rail fails. Heck, that's part of the reason one of my little E2s works an Autotrain service to Worthing and back! :hehe:​

Tanker46

Here's a surprise. A Class 117 3 car DMU set at Ashington. Graham (Euromodeller) put a huge effort into rebuilding and reviving these older Class 117 models so I thought I'd give one a test run. Class 117's were WR DMU's so that was good, but they were introduced in 1960 and the time period I set for Ashington ends at 1959, - not so good. This early plain dark green livery with 'speed whiskers' would be the only version I could run should I go twisting time about any further, - but Class 117's wouldn't be found down any branchlines when they were brand spanking new since they were built for passenger services out of Paddington, - so it's definitely a no go for a WR DMU on Ashington. I do have to say though that Graham's Class 117's are real Rolls Royce quality models and run beautifully.

Soooo the good folk living along the Ashington branch will have to put up with the BR standards for a wee while longer, but hopefully they won't mind too much. My three 3MT Standard tank engines from 71G Bath Green Park have just come out of the paint shop and have had a little light fettling done to them as well. The Ashington branch is still very much the Ivatt 2MT's territory, but the 3MT's will be seen from time to time.

I will be setting up some scheduling for diesel hauled services out on the mainline, but diesels on the branch won't be so common. I found some really nice WR ventilated vans on the DLS so there might be the occasional trainload of Summertime farm produce to be hauled away by a Class 22.

KzWKWef.jpg

mNMpHII.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment Annie :D

Thanks for blowing the cobwebs of the old 117s.
I was planning to give them an update to get rid of the matt finish that TRS19 bestowed upon them and introduce a sheen to the paintwork.
Or maybe I could give them the full gloss Auran treatment like the payware Duchess :hehe:

cheers,

Graham

I was very impressed by how well the Class 117 3 car set ran on the Ashington branch Graham. It's just a pity that it was built too late for my time period. Rob Dee is busy building Derby Lightweight DMUs and I think there are more than a few Uk Trainz folk keeping their fingers crossed that he might build further 1st generation DMUs. There certainly is a lack of the early types in Trainz.
I've been kept busy with putting a bit of a sheen on some of my older engines that TRS19 gifted a matt finish to their paintwork and I'm reasonably happy with the results. As for N3V's melting jelly coat Duchess they can keep it.

Just a quick shot on for KontangaGirl

I rather the 3ft Version myself, After Ashington was closed it was converted to 3ft gauge to be used as a Preserved line, they got their hands on the Irish CDR loco's, rolling stock and Railcars here #17 leading & 18. they don't have MU controls so 18 is in neutral.

The old meat processing plant was replaced with the narrow gauge workshops

Ashington-3ft.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment Annie :D

Thanks for blowing the cobwebs of the old 117s.
I was planning to give them an update to get rid of the matt finish that TRS19 bestowed upon them and introduce a sheen to the paintwork.
Or maybe I could give them the full gloss Auran treatment like the payware Duchess :hehe:

cheers,

Graham

That would certainly be an amazing update Graham! I'm quite fond of your 117s and I have a set on the BR Era Dearnby and District Route. I really do enjoy your reskins both building and rolling stock alike and I am sure such a development would be welcome to everyone for sure!

#4443. I always felt a bit sorry for McDonnell's Class 59 0-6-0s Frank. They were supposed to be the bees knees, - only they weren't, - and they spent their working lives not being liked much by the footplate crews and being the spare engine nobody wanted.

#4444. Is that the loco and Mk1 coaches bundled with the Looe branch route PLP? Always good to see Swanage again.

#4446. That's a really nice smokey city terminus screenshot from you Ken.

Here's a surprise. A Class 117 3 car DMU set at Ashington. Graham (Euromodeller) put a huge effort into rebuilding and reviving these older Class 117 models so I thought I'd give one a test run. Class 117's were WR DMU's so that was good, but they were introduced in 1960 and the time period I set for Ashington ends at 1959, - not so good. This early plain dark green livery with 'speed whiskers' would be the only version I could run should I go twisting time about any further, - but Class 117's wouldn't be found down any branchlines when they were brand spanking new since they were built for passenger services out of Paddington, - so it's definitely a no go for a WR DMU on Ashington. I do have to say though that Graham's Class 117's are real Rolls Royce quality models and run beautifully.

Soooo the good folk living along the Ashington branch will have to put up with the BR standards for a wee while longer, but hopefully they won't mind too much. My three 3MT Standard tank engines from 71G Bath Green Park have just come out of the paint shop and have had a little light fettling done to them as well. The Ashington branch is still very much the Ivatt 2MT's territory, but the 3MT's will be seen from time to time.

I will be setting up some scheduling for diesel hauled services out on the mainline, but diesels on the branch won't be so common. I found some really nice WR ventilated vans on the DLS so there might be the occasional trainload of Summertime farm produce to be hauled away by a Class 22.

KzWKWef.jpg

mNMpHII.jpg

Ah! The good old Standard 3! One of the most reliable 2-6-2Ts to ever have been built! Funny enough, they were the biggest class of suburban tanks in the Ex-LSWR Region during BR Years and a large amount of them were centered around Eastleigh. Just like their big 4MT Cousins that worked out of Brighton, the stout little praries were dubbed "Eastleigh Tanks" by crews that favored them.

That Swindon Works Green is a real beautiful sight too. I will have to remember that one day if I ever get back to the 3MT I was working on.

Ah! The good old Standard 3! One of the most reliable 2-6-2Ts to ever have been built! Funny enough, they were the biggest class of suburban tanks in the Ex-LSWR Region during BR Years and a large amount of them were centered around Eastleigh. Just like their big 4MT Cousins that worked out of Brighton, the stout little praries were dubbed "Eastleigh Tanks" by crews that favored them.

That Swindon Works Green is a real beautiful sight too. I will have to remember that one day if I ever get back to the 3MT I was working on.

Once the various classes of GWR Prairies started being withdrawn the 2MT and 3MT tanks started to appear in greater numbers at Western Region sheds as their replacements. From the Shed Bash Uk website it's very noticeable that for my chosen time period the MPD's surrounding my hidden in a fold of the map branchline no longer seem to have any ex-GWR Prairies to be seen on shed.
I had to have a green 3MT (or two or three) since I owned the 00 gauge Triang model during my late teens and it was a firm favourite. While that's 82030 in my screenshot I also have 82004 on the layout, - and that was the engine that Triang modelled their green 3MT from.
I have colour patches for three varieties of GWR green, - 19th century, pre-1928 and post-1928 should you need them.

Just a quick shot on for KontangaGirl

I rather the 3ft Version myself, After Ashington was closed it was converted to 3ft gauge to be used as a Preserved line, they got their hands on the Irish CDR loco's, rolling stock and Railcars here #17 leading & 18. they don't have MU controls so 18 is in neutral.

The old meat processing plant was replaced with the narrow gauge workshops

I found the 3ft gauge version of Ashington before I discovered the GWR original Tom as strange as it might seem. I ran an interesting mix of Colonial export Manning Wardle and Beyer Peacock tank engines on my version, but all that did was make me want to find out if there was a standard gauge version on the DLS.
I had another layout that I built up as 3ft gauge from the start and I ran the Irish railcars on that alongside my big colonial tank engines.

I did always like Ashington though and I'm having a lot of fun with updating it to TRS19 and generally giving it a bit of a polish.

Further experiments with diesel railcars. Somehow I overlooked the most obvious choice, - the GWR AEC diesel railcar. These were in service up until 1960 when the first generation BR DMUs came into use so are perfect for Ashington.

The first experiment was not a success though. The double ended railcar was too short to activate passenger enabled invisible platforms and at West Hatch it completely disgraced itself by running though the station without stopping and entering the dairy factory sidings whereupon it filled itself up with milk (or at least it tried to).
After that I went back to a three car set again which was much more successful. I thought the centre trailer car might be a bit too much, but on the return journey from Castleton to Ashington just about every seat was taken. I'll need to write a schedule for the AEC railcars though as I was using the steam locomotive one for the test and I had to make sure I removed the 'run around' command to prevent any strange behavior at Castleton.

666qTSb.jpg

myE9faM.jpg

gTwYGEL.jpg

6DWAvg8.jpg

Schedules for the mainline are still a WIP. I have it figured out now so that the branch passenger train arrives at Castleton nicely before the mainline passenger trains arrives so there won't be any mad dashing about to get across to the mainline platforms before the train leaves. There will be some steam hauled services by the way, the diesels haven't taken over yet.

1IFSQuf.jpg

Happy memories of the 3MT Triang tank rekindled, thank you Annie.

Lnerlover5's 2MT tanks, very fine machines.

Still in TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Sorry Annie did not think about mentioning those when you made the comments about the class 117's 2 versions by 2 people of AEC's.

Tom

Wow - just wow - beautiful work Ed!

# I know the infrastructure is wrong in the second pic, I probably should have taken the time to swap stuff around....

Andy ;)

Excellent shots Dermmy! Don't worry about the out of era infrastructure! I've taken more pics like that than I can count during my backdating of Dearnby!

kJ808Jj.jpg
[/IMG]

re posts #4456 & #4457
Mighty fine shots, Andy and Alexander.
I really must get to grips with TRS19.

Still in TANE

Cheers, Ken

Ivatt 2MT's hard at work, - I very much approve Ken.

#4456 Now there's a sight Trainz has needed for a long lime, - a Johnston compound at the head of a train of Midland coaches. Nice screenshots Andy.

#4457 Screenshots of 'Paddleboxes' are always welcome Tanker.

Looking over the fence at Ashington MPD. Still a bit WIP, but I'm getting there.

VfDRzye.jpg

re post #4459

Thank you Annie. Nice shed scene.

Still inTANE Latest loco from Camscott/Tanker46. U class.

Cheers, Ken

Looking excellent Ken! You and the rest of our fellows in Trainz are most welcome!

Another update for my LBSCR Locos from Camscott. This time the Billington Radial Cousins E5 and E6 Class! Both have received their Maunsell and Bulleid paintwork and are raring to go!

KGeuF4N.jpg
[/IMG]

While the E5 works a local train to Horsham...

EKerS0C.jpg
[/IMG]

qWUoMti.jpg
[/IMG]

9pwwQlM.jpg
[/IMG]

EmiYmYv.jpg
[/IMG]

The E6 heads a drop-off goods to Hayward's Heath!

j8lfR0c.jpg
[/IMG]

83OgDrq.jpg
[/IMG]

lNXoXfg.jpg
[/IMG]

n9mM2Rn.jpg
[/IMG]

xUWiRmj.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Superb screenshots Tanker & so good to see the ex LBSCR locos out working. Also the shot from the sihgnal box is very good. Thank yuo so much for comissioning the U which is so good & made my day yesterday. Also thanks to camscott for creating suoer model.

Back