So what's so bad about Classics?

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
I've just installed Classics 1 & 2. It runs flawlessly on my system except for the known issue with the sound. I can't complain really about the performance of either the Harlem Line or Modula City. This was with all sliders maxed. I find the graphics to be smoother running and no stutter.

My one complaint is that there are some blips in the Harlem Line. These can be fixed by editing the route in Surveyor. At one point there's a house and shed across the tracks, and at another place the are some trees floating above the terrain. There are a couple of places where the roads float and others where they dig under the terrain, although annoying to me, that's not as bad as buldings on the tracks.

I'm sure there could have been some more buildings and trees here and there, but then again there would be a trade-off for performance on the lower-end machines. So I understand that to keep the module running smoothly, the content has been minimized. If anything, I would have made the distant terrain a bit darker to represent forest-covered hills instead of the light brown dirt.

Anyway, right now as I'm typing this, I'm importing my old TRS2006 content. I did the built-in stuff earlier without a hitch. I'll let you all know how it performs for my personal route that I've worked on since I got TRS2004 back in early 2005.

Full disclosure of the system for those that might ask:

Quad-Core 2.4 Ghz Intel Duo
4Gb RAM 800Mhz
Vista Ultmiate 64-Bit
NVidia 8800 GTS 640 Mb (last year's model)
Dual network Bridged
2x 250 Gb hd
Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Latest motherboard BIOS, video and sound-card drivers.

John

John.

I have had the same experience as you with TC. The only major difference in coimputers is, I have an 8800 GTX video card.

Happy Trainzing.

What's bad is the lack of legacy content. Mind you, about ten seconds after finding out there is no legacy content included I'd worked out what that means for third party routes and I'm no genius. The strange thing is it seems to have caught a lot of people out.

Paul

So you aint getting random crashing???? :eek:

Ive never been able to complete any of the sceneros on the Harlem Line.

But all my routes from trs2006 2004 all work with out any crashes.

Last edited:
Classics experience so far.

Mostly works fine. I don't have the sliders maxed but they are set higher than I had 2004 using.

Routes missing content, I think it depends on the user if it bothers them. I know some users from '04 and '06 who have talked about modifying routes replacing default content with custom, if you can spend time figuring out what to replace what with and how it works out. Anyone who wants to plug in routes with little problem is in the same situation as if you bought something new to the market.

First time I saw Modula City, I'm not much of a tram user, but it looks nice. At some point I might try seeing how subway or North American electric content works with it.

Harlem Line I looked through it but haven't run it yet. Previous video card had a slow load, new one is faster but there still is some load slowdown, mainly apppears to be the stations from when I placed them on blank baseboards, they appeared a bit slower than most other content.

Some 2004 routes had similar things like floating trees and road issues.:eek:

Haven't used speakers much so I don't know what the sound issue is.
Not too concerned with the sky, I've seen times and places where it moves that fast, maybe if it is figured out what changed the speed, a future version could have variable speed setting.

Traffic issue appears limited to when I connect roads with different traffic types, such as a multi-lane freeway that splits into seperate one-way roads, then I get it. If I keep road sections using the same traffic together, I don't see the problem.

There was one road item that looked promising for something like highway exits but has a flaw, the elevated T intersection.

|
|
|--
|
|
|
|

Looks like that when you have the long end down. Connected some roads to it, all traffic coming from the bottom went to the right and all coming from the right went to the bottom. None of the cars wanted to go upward. Presumed landfill there?:hehe:

One crash, happened on previous video card:( , none since.:)
One mystery FPS slowdown, was working on a route, added a Basemap, noticable decrease in performance, closed down. Opened the next day, added the Basemap to the same area, no problem.:confused:

Getting used to CMP since it is my first time with it, just figured out how to do keywords and that some built-in items have built-in keywords I can't change. Stinks because I really would like to reclassify that Retaining Wall to something other than Flora.:n:
Figured out how to change auto-kuid numbering so it won't conflict with something I have.

Did obsoleting items come back? I haven't tried anything to check yet but I know I saw it in the Classics CCG.

Only major issue I have is how Classics is presented from a business standpoint, that's just my opinion for some other place.

I'd say I'm 80% happy.:)

I'm glad to see what the others here are seeing for experience with the product. No problems importing my content, but some is missing in Surveyor. It appears in the list, but doesn't show up when it is clicked on. So appearently there are issues with it even though no errors were reported in CMP.

My old long standy-by route that I've been working on for ages imported fine and I've not had any random crashes. This is the best thing.

I like some of the additional features they've added to CMP like the ability of not updating automatically when connecting to the DLS. There are others, but I can't remember them now (at work and siffereing big-time brain-farts today).

Now I can't wait for TC3 to come out to make the product even better. :)

John

Last edited:
I'm disappointed to learn that there are still problems with sound in TC. I thought they were fixed. Is it any better than the sound in TRS06, which can only be described as atrocious? Well, that's not really true, it could also be described as lousy, pathetic, ludicrous, sucking, etc...... As I said in another post, how any software company with any self-respect could put out that product is beyond me.
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed to learn that there are still problems with sound in TC. I thought they were fixed. Is it any better than the sound in TRS06, which can only be described as atrocious? Well, that's not really true, it could also be described as lousy, pathetic, ludicrous, sucking, etc...... As I said in another post, how any software company with any self-respect could put out that product is beyond me.
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

The sound problem has not been fixed in TC1&2 but has in TC3. Also the LOD mesh problem is fixed in TC3.

The sound problem has not been fixed in TC1&2 but has in TC3. Also the LOD mesh problem is fixed in TC3.

Well, that's really good news. I'm sorry to be so critical about the sound in TRS06, but as a professional sound engineer, bad audio drives me crazy! I'm looking forward to the release of TC3.
Many thanks,
Mick Berg.

To jdenm8

Does the remaining Trainz Team at Auran know that they fixed these items?

It would be beneficial to the Trainz Community if you could provide a confirmed source of your statement.

Have fun,
Ron

I wouldn't assume that anything has been fixed/attended to in TC3 until you have the final build in your hot sticky paws.

Paul

I'm keenly looking forward to TC3, with its many improvements, the Settle-Carlisle route, and I won't miss the lack of content, as 99% of it I don't use anyway. However, I won't buy it until I'm assured that the sound is improved. That will mean waiting a while, and reading the forum avidly.
Mick Berg.

It has been going around for ages and Alan said it in the first place if I remember rightly. The sound problem I was talking about was the steam loco sound. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Back