Trs2004 & Trs2006

rainmaster

I bought the very original Trainz. I loved it but gave it up because of strange problems with the programme & went back to MSTS.

I just bought the recent Trainz Collection which includes UTC TR04 & TR06
I installed them in order of disc number. TR2006 is the first disc.
TR06 & Tr04 are both very good.
If you install anything using the Content Manager it only seems to appear in Tr2006.
I uninstalled Tr2006 & by double clicking on the CDP files, the assets appear in TR2004.

Can someone tell me what ius going on, or should I just go back to MSTS

Lance Brown

Lance,

First there was Trainz. Then came UTC (Ultimate Trainz Collection), followed in turn by TRS2004, TRS2006 and Trainz Classics. In the UK TC is called Trainz Railways and in the USA it's called Trainz Railwayz. Trainz Driver is a severely limited demo version of TRS2006. Trainz Routes are add-on routes for TRS2006 (not standalone programs).

I'd advise you to only install one version of Trainz to start with. If I suggested which one then I'd probably spark a riot and a flamewar so I won't! :)

There are ways to have all the different versions installed at the same time and direct downloads to whichever you prefer but it gets a bit complicated. Maybe something to explore later once you gain confidence with the fundamentals.

John

I just bought the recent Trainz Collection which includes UTC TR04 & TR06
I installed them in order of disc number. TR2006 is the first disc.
TR06 & Tr04 are both very good.
If you install anything using the Content Manager it only seems to appear in Tr2006.
I uninstalled Tr2006 & by double clicking on the CDP files, the assets appear in TR2004.
When you download from the DLS Windows runs whatever program (Content Manger or either the UTC of TRS04 versions of Trainzhelper) Windows thinks is the default for that file type (CDP). Each of the programs sets the default to itself when it runs.

Content manager runs automatically when you start but you have to start the Trainzhelper versions manually. They are in the "bin" folder of the main Trainz folder for each version.

Each version of Trainz of course keeps its own set of content. TRS06 has an import option that can grab all the content from earlier versions but it is non-selective. You can pull individual items out of the 06 database using the open for edit - open in explorer option. I think that it may be possible to put selected 04 items in a dummy Trainz directory and have 06 import from there - but I haven't tried it yet.

Don't give up on Trainz even if this is too much work for you. Just settle on one version - any of them are better, for most uses, than MSTS.

I think that it may be possible to put selected 04 items in a dummy Trainz directory and have 06 import from there - but I haven't tried it yet.

Somewhat Off Topic: To import selectively from 04 to 06 I use TrainzObjectz to copy selected files to an archive, then use CMP to import the archive folder.

Back On Topic: Lance I would echo the sentiments above - install and come to terms with one version. I would suggest either TRS04 or TRS 06 and from a fresh start probably TRS06. If you settle on 04 an indispensable freeware third party content management tool is TrainzObjectz referred to above and available here.

Whichever version you choose, I am certain that once you come to terms with it you will find that the MSTS disks make excellent coasters....

Andy ;)

Working it out

Thanks for you replies. I have been browsing the forums & gather one version only is best. I have downloaded TrainzObjects. I have a number of questions at a later time.
I am running TRS2004. I am getting the hang of things slowly. Being able to jump from one train to another is brilliant.
I have been reading the on disc manuals & info on websites.
Thanks again for you help. It looks like the Christmas Trainz collection was a good marketing ploy by some one
Lance

Back