Upgrading video plus E-Waste recycling question.

StorkNest

Stop that, its just silly
Figuring I will have to change my video card, for several months I have not been able to run Trainz Objectz Explorer due to some conflict with a file in ATI's software. Never had a problem before including with the older ATI card on the previous PC, but that was an XP system. TOE worked fine on this Vista system until I tried to use the card.
Also, my Windows Performance Index scores show Grapics and Gaming Graphics at the lowest 3.5-3.6 while the other areas rate 4.5-5.4 so I think I should boost the graphics score up some.
So my questions are these:

1 - Anyone using an ATI card that is not having problems running TOE?

2A - I contacted the computer manufacturer, they recommended a Verto 8500 GT. Is that good enough? I'm not looking for the latest thing and I haven't found anything indicating its Windows Performance Index score. But the price looks affordable.
2B - Also says this card needs minimum 300W power supply that I have but is minimum enough? I haven't installed anything else internally, only other changes using power are the speakers and the enclosure drive, both have thier own power cords.

3 - What is the difference other than price with some of the companies that sell nVidia boards? eVGA, XFX, PNY, BFG, I'm not familiar with any of them.

4 - And on a different note, anyone know if anyplace recycles video cards? If so are any of them in the New York City area? I've been reading up on E-Waste but have not seen anyplace that does video cards yet, I still have 2 older AGP cards too that I would like to get rid of, don't know anyone who needs them and I'm not in the mood to go through e-Bay nor do I expect to get any return back. But I would rather recycle than just trash them.

Thanks.

Have a look an tomshardware.com under graphics cards. It should give you a score there.

These days many cards are made by nVidia and only the sticker on the outside differs.

I often think we should have a "free to a good home" bit in parts and labour for things like AGP cards etc. Previously I've offered up a 9800pro and some one took it. www.craigslist.org maybe able to find a home for them.

Cheerio John

Problem with the 8800 cards and the 8600GTS is they need a bigger power supply than I have in addition to cost.
Highest I could go would be a 8600GT.
From that Tom's site, looks like the 8600 is better than the 8500, just matters which I could afford and if it matters that my computer uses DDR2 memory where the 8600 uses DDR3.

I'll try those links about the older cards in the next 2 days.
Did you just offer the card or ask for shipping?

Thanks.

Problem with the 8800 cards and the 8600GTS is they need a bigger power supply than I have in addition to cost.
From that Tom's site, looks like the 8600 is better than the 8500, just matters which I could afford and if it matters that my computer uses DDR2 memory where the 8600 uses DDR3.

Thanks.

The type of memory in the computer and the type used on the video card do not need to be the same.

I just mailed the card, cost me about $10 but it would be reasonable to ask for postage.

Cheerio John

Bought and installed a 8500GT today. Looks to be OK so far, TOE runs now :Y: and my Grphics and Gaming Graphics scores have boosted to 4.9 and 5.3. 1 GB Memory is now the lowest score at 4.5 but not far off so I don't see a reason to upgrade for now, I'll wait until cash flow is better.
I'll plan to unload the other cards I have soon.
Now I have to check whether I have to reconfigure some programs including Classics. I think I have to run that diagnostic again when I find where it is.
Thanks.

Bought and installed a 8500GT today. Looks to be OK so far, TOE runs now :Y: and my Grphics and Gaming Graphics scores have boosted to 4.9 and 5.3. 1 GB Memory is now the lowest score at 4.5 but not far off so I don't see a reason to upgrade for now, I'll wait until cash flow is better.
I'll plan to unload the other cards I have soon.
Now I have to check whether I have to reconfigure some programs including Classics. I think I have to run that diagnostic again when I find where it is.
Thanks.
C:/Program Files/Auran/TC/bin/trainzdiag.exe

:)

Thanks.
I got a 7600 GT and the computer techs siad that if I weny any higher the power supply would be changed,then again he didn't look like the computer type of person:confused: :hehe: :eek:

To anyone that has upgraded an older "case/stand", I would strongly recommend replacing the power supply unit with a minimum 450.

I purchased mine from a local comp store for around $40 us.
At the same time I installed a couple of more effecient cooling fans .

My thoughts ---DLR

PS- contact your city waste service regarding disposal of comp components, California recyles and/or resells !

Last edited:
Back