New Computer: Good system or not?

titaniclover

TS2010EE SP3; Build 49933
I just got a new system for Christmas. Suprise gift from parents.:p
I just want to know if its a good system or not.

GateWay FX530XV

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

Memory: 3072MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Moniter: Gateway 24" WideScreen High Def. Performance LCD Display

Hard Drive: 1000GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/16MB cache & Raid 0 (2-500GB Hard Drives)

Video: ATI Radeon X1950 CrossFire 512MB GDDR4 Memory DVI w/HDCP VGA

Chipset (Motherboard): Intel 975X Chipset with DDR2 Support And Intel Core Duo support

Media Card Reader: 9 in 1 Memory Card reader

What you guys think? I know its good but how good? I really dont know what half of this stuff means.:confused:

Merry Christmas Everyone!:wave: :)

Cheers,
Adam
TCS Route Builder

Video: ATI Radeon X1950 CrossFire 512MB GDDR4 Memory DVI w/HDCP VGA
That's all you have to know. It's good enough.

Give it the test. Download a detailed route and fraps and compare to old system and let us know.:wave:

Enjoy your new computer.

Merry Christmas

FYI, if you have good power in your computer, such as what you've picked out, Vista won't make any noticeable performance drops in Trainz.

The only problem I see is the graphics. Go for an Nvidia 8800 model instead, if your budget can handle it. I would recommend the 8800GT. Ati's quality level, performance level and performance/price ratio only spell doom, gloom, and about anything else ending in "oom".

Personally the only thing that I am worried about with that system is Vista, but hopefully with 3GB RAM you may not notice Vista running as it will consume about 1GB by itself.

The Quad Core Q6600 maybe a little overkill right now, nothing really uses it but on the other hand you have 'future proofed' yourself for later on when programs/games start using multi-core processors.

The ATi X1950 will do the job well, ATi was better at handling DirectX then nVidia, up until the 8800 series cards, just keep the drivers up to date and you should not have any real problems.

Thanks for the input guys. It was only about $3,000...:eek:
I dont have it hooked up yet but I will by the end of the week hopefully.

The computer was ordered Dec. 8. Then they kept back ordering it till January 10, 2008!!! We got hold of the VP and she instantly took one off the production line and gave it to a technician there and he built it for me. But I'm still waiting for the moniter and speakers. They will be here soon I hope. :'(

Cheers to all! Hope you had a Very Merry Christmas!:wave:

Adam

It's a superb computer .... the Intel Core 2 Quad Processor is great for movie watching !!!:p

congratulations on your new gift! :wave:

Ishie

PS Hey Adam, stop by Wiley's ... he's leaving!

The X1950 is a great card, and should do you well. If you can afford one, you could also look at one of the HD2600/HD2900 cards. I have a HIS Radeon HD2600 XT 512Mb GDDR3 PCI Express, and thats also a great card.

My next system, which will either be an AMD Phenom Quad, Intel Core 2 Quad or an Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad), will have a Radeon HD3870 512Mb GDDR4.

Chris

Great machine. The only thing I would change is the hard drive setup. Having two 500 Gb drives setup as a raid 0 means that both drives appear to the system as one big drive. Data files may be spanned across both drives. The problem is if one drive fails then the data on the other is useless. Better to have two separate drives with no raid setup. If it is not too late I would have that changed.

Other than that, the thing should be screaming fast.:D

William

Great machine. The only thing I would change is the hard drive setup. Having two 500 Gb drives setup as a raid 0 means that both drives appear to the system as one big drive. Data files may be spanned across both drives. The problem is if one drive fails then the data on the other is useless. Better to have two separate drives with no raid setup. If it is not too late I would have that changed.

Other than that, the thing should be screaming fast.:D

William

William has a point ... there's are programs that will assist you on how to partition your had drives without going through windows setup ... HOWEVER, if you are not sure don't mess with it ... you can easily whip out your entire operating system.

Ish

Too late for that. The main part is already here.
Here it is. She's a nice lookin machine.

DSCN0862.jpg

The rest is to come by the 27 and 28 this week!! I'm having a tech freind come up and set it all up for me. He used to work for HP he knows computers inside and out.

Cheers,
Adam

PS Thanks Ish. Will stop over there.

I rememberall the drools :)udrool: ) I got from this forum when I got my new system only 5 years ago (see below).
Shure beat the stuffin out of the 450MHz K6-2 with Voodoo3 system it replaced.:eek:
Well, maybe next year.

i just got me one just like it a couple of days ago. mine is blue. hey titaniclover your gonna love it. every runs smooth. got a nvidia geforce 8800gtx with it too.

Thats a production one. Mine was customized, takin off production line to have certain things installed.
The Speakers will be in tomarrow morning at earliest. Screen Friday.

Back