FAVORITE ENGINE OFF ALL TIME

I love every locomotive ever built. Except for the Crampton, that is plain ugly. But, here's a unit that surprised me.
nyle1013.jpg
This unit was used in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". I found out it was an ex-Norfolk & Western Railway ALCO C425 model. At the time, she was owned by the New York and Lake Erie Railroad. Does anyone know if she survives today in revenue service or on display somewhere? This beauty should be saved, if it's still out there.
It runs on the NYLE now, and I know its still on their line, but I am not sure if it still runs. Also, it is my favorite and I based the scheme on the "Erie Northern" with the same scheme :p. As fr 1013, I know the line suffered damage from Sandy, which was just fixed, but the cars still all say Contrack.

I am a bit partial to 2-8-0's myself. Here is a thing of beauty. Worked for several years on the Great Western of Colorado and now works on the Black River and Western between Ringoes and Three Bridges, New Jersey
9430590751_ed67f08513_z.jpg

Another beautiful 2-8-0. Former Lancaster and Chester Railroad of South Carolina, now on the New Hope and Ivyland in Pennsylvania
3196.1381946688.jpg

and of course the most well known 2-8-0 on the east coast, ex-Southern #630
1691.1384293423.jpg

Last edited:
We love what we remember. I grew up watching black IC GP7's & GP9's running on the Effingham-Indianapolis line. More often than not, they were running long-hood forward, too, like this one.

GP-7.jpg

Last edited:
Having grown up in SP territory, although after the steam years, I'd say their 4449 Daylight engines are very beautiful. The monstrous SP cab forward engines were impressive too.

I'm easily swayed by massive engines like the ones UP experimented with, both steam and diesel (and the gas turbine). It didn't hurt that I preferred EMD diesels, since EMD was working with UP on several of those locomotives.

I suppose my personal favorite was EMD's FP45 with the covered car-body ... always wishing that I could get permission to get inside one to look everything over. I even kit bashed two plastic FP45 HO bodies into an imaginary DD45 many years ago. Didn't have the DD bolsters to finish it properly though.

All locos are interesting, from the scrappy logging steam locos to the latest diesels with sophisticated electronics. I enjoy learning about all of them. In a way, my favorite engine is whichever one is nearest to me at the time!

Last edited:
Back