FAVORITE ENGINE OFF ALL TIME

Hardwicke! :D

800px-790_%22Hardwicke%22_Rainhill_150.jpg

Hardwicke is a bit of a family favourite, I don't know why. I personally think it's because she looks the part. Just a sensible, no-nonsense sort of engine really. I do wish she was available in Trainz though.

And I know it's a cliche, but I love Flying Scotsman . She always brings a lump in my throat when I see her. My great-grandfather used to drive her at one time, and according to my mother he could never understand the fuss about what he thought was "just another engine."

4.jpg

I'm afraid I'm inclined to disagree. :)

Would it be possible for the OP of this thread to alter the title to the correct spelling "FAVOURITE ENGINE OF ALL TIME" ? Sorry to be pedantic but I think we all have a duty to maintain the English langauge...:p

Would it be possible for the OP of this thread to alter the title to the correct spelling "FAVOURITE ENGINE OF ALL TIME" ? Sorry to be pedantic but I think we all have a duty to maintain the English langauge...:p

"Favorite" is the american english way of spelling it.

peter

Another country, other locos

Swiss Railway, e-loco, prototype built 1931, approx. 7500HP, built to avoid costly double traction over the Gotthard Pass. Some of the bogies could be lifted up hydraulicly to increase axle pressure.

The Steam locos showed up from the Czech Republic for the 125th Anniversary of the Gotthard railway

However, I'm also a very big fan of the Big Boy and the Challenger Steam locos. Unfortunately, while living in Canada and also traveling through Canada and the States, I never saw one of these truly impressive machines.

Peter aka hugpet

Swiss Trainzer

If anyone's interested, there are a couple of more pics

http://rides.webshots.com/album/560150204IIwIjt

Last edited:
Hmmmm this is a hard one, there's not all that many locos i dont like but i think i can narrow it down three in no particular order .
General Electric B30-7
these are the engines i grew up with and they have worked the locals around here since as long as i can remember. sadly now they are a dying breed and i expect they wont last till next Christmas on CSX:'(
CSX 5541 is the last B30-7 i saw on the Y111 local and that was over a year ago but it sure put on a nice show for me.
doc012editRP.jpg

watch the video to hear its beautiful RS5T+RRO horn and its distinctive GE chug
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lYlyruRDG6Q skip ahead too 3:30 (though the first train is good too)

Alco WDM2
These are the engines that got me hooked on trains, my grandparents in India had a house close to the tracks and my dad took me up to the grade crossing to watch these fly by with passenger and freights, Alco at its finest!
a pic from my last trip there
zurich173edit2.jpg

and a video my dad took when he last visited
and one of the best video's ive seen of these locos
http://www.irfca.org/~naveen/goa1.mpg

Class 43 HST Power Car with original Paxman Valenta engine
These were my favorites from my trip to the UK, the ultimate High speed train! One of the greatest sounds of railroading is hearing a HST depart from Paddington station, its turbocharged scream echoing through the trainshed as light filters through the smoke. Sadly this will never again be possible as all of First Great Western's HST's have been MTUed:'(

Englandsummer07515editedit.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znkczvc47jA

But if i must post my favorite, its a dying breed for sure.
ALCo C-628 heavy freight Locomotive
Commonly seen through-out the mid 60s to late 70s, these beasts, and later sisters the 630 and 636 were the American Locomotive Companies last strive to compete against the heavy freight locomotive industry. Although these units didnt prove as successful as their smaller counter-parts, the 4 axle century series, these monsters lasted long enough to keep the railfans happy. My favorite road, Luckly rostered a few of these beasts.
ALV636.gif

'Nuff said.
Cheers,
Sean

Here is my favorite train: The APT-Experimental, now rotting away at york railway museum. It's the meanest looking train i've ever seen. Shame it never made it. If anyone has any pics or other info please post :) . JB

apt-e.jpg

mA130014.jpg

he even spelled bicentennial wrong

Hehehe, that's funny :hehe:

And as far as favorite engines go... It's a tie:

770px-Electroliner.jpg

(More of a train set than an engine, but what the hell... :D)

...and...

EJ%26E_GP38.PNG

I grew up watching this engine in my backyard, and it may meet the scrapper's torch at Homewood, IL soon... :'(

Last edited:
Favorite of all time, D&RGW K-28 Class #473.....what a history for a single locomotive. its been off the tracks, hit by a rockslide, rammed by a speeding truck, and she is still steaming along

1984-473_1.jpg

Back