To help Auran, we should stick together

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
After reading the sad posts of over the past few days, I've been thinking. Right now we should stick together and be more like we used to be when it comes to helping the new users since there is no longer a help desk.

I remember when a post would appear and within two seconds, there were a half dozen helpful hints to go with it.

In addition, by showing solidarity, we can help the cause by purchasing software from them, and spreading the good word about it.

At any rate, some food for thougt, and open for comments, critique, binning, etc.

John

It's a good idea. The only problem that I can see is that the lack of manners from so many could hinder that. That alone has driver off more of the more experianced creators or at least made them less inclined to help. This will be a difficult period untill who knows when but the only place for help in the mean time is on this forum. If everyone starts treating evryone else with a little more respect and knocks off the back biting, bickering and back stabing, (and I'm NOT talking about only the newer members) then things might get back to something close to what we remember from before. That wouldn't hurt my feelings. What John sais has meritt. But for it to work It will take a lot of effort from everyone.

Bill

If everyone starts treating evryone else with a little more respect and knocks off the back biting, bickering and back stabing ....

Bill

I understand and appreciated your comments Bill, but we live in a world where people just like to rain on people's parade. It has happened to me, and others in these forums. That's just reality ... it's stupid and ignorant on their part, but sad in many ways. However, one should never take it personal, etc because such comments come from strangers anyhow (people one careless for and will never meet). I like to treat the Internet like when I was in high school, you make friends, you make enemies, but life goes on regardless...

Just keep in touch with the cool group!:wave: :)

Merry Christmas:)
Ish

In addition, by showing solidarity, we can help the cause by purchasing software from them, and spreading the good word about it.

While I agree in principal, let me share my recent experience.

Three weeks ago I registered and activated a new copy of TRS2004. No FCT showed up, perhaps understandable given current circumstances. I wrote the helpdesk last week, and no response to date.

So, tonight I purchased a 12 month FCT via the TRS2004 download station site (USD $9.99), and this was processed immediately. It showed up as active when going to the TRS2004 download site, but not in the TRS2006 site. (I also have a registered copy of TRS2006, for which the FCT expired a couple of months ago).

Figuring that the USD $9.99 price for one year maybe only applied to TRS2004, I then went to the TRS2006 download station and bought a 6 month FCT for USD $14.95.

Now, the TRS2004 dls shows that I have a 6 month FCT, and the TRS2006 dls shows that I have nothing.

I have written the help desk about this, but am pessimistic about the end result. It would appear that I have a FCT good only for TRS2004, active for 6 months, and costing USD $24.94.

At least I have done my share to help. :confused:

Fred

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've been around the block to many times in the last 42 years. I've seen to much and experianced to much. I know the only ones we have 100% control over is our selves and 99% of our own problems are brought on by our own actions and choices. I have some hard choices I feel I need to make in the near future but regardless of what I decide I want to be supportive to the Trainz communty. If it's within my abilitys I'm willing to help.

Bill

While I agree in principal, let me share my recent experience.

Three weeks ago I registered and activated a new copy of TRS2004. No FCT showed up, perhaps understandable given current circumstances. I wrote the helpdesk last week, and no response to date.

So, tonight I purchased a FCT via the TRS2004 download station site, and this was processed immediately. It showed up as active when going to the TRS2004 download site, but not in the TRS2006 site. (I also have a registered copy of TRS2006, for which the FCT expired a couple of months ago).

Figuring that the USD $9.99 price for one year maybe only applied to TRS2004, I then went to the TRS2006 download station and bought a 6 month FCT for USD $14.95.

Now, the TRS2004 dls shows that I have a 6 month FCT, and the TRS2006 dls shows that I have nothing.

I have written the help desk about this, but am pessimistic about the end result. It would appear that I have a FCT good only for TRS2004, active for 6 months, and costing USD $24.94.

At least I have done my share to help. :confused:

Fred

G'Day Fred
I am really sorry about your experience Fred, but the reason you lost your 2004 DLS is because it clearly states that you must not update your FCT until the old one ends. Reason being that you will lose the un-used part of the old ticket. However knowing that people in the past at Auran certainly understand that mistakes happen, I suggest that you wait till things settle down a little, and ask for a refund using the help station.
When you purchased 2006 you registered your serial numbers and that should show up in your profile. I am wondering if because you registered 2004 after 2006, if the 2004 serial has shown up on your profile too? You did register it of course
Now in that profile your FCT tickets are listed, mine are all expired except for the current one and each ticket is listed right back to 2002.
I have 2004, 2006 and Trainz Classics all listed and I can download any content on the DLS. Your 2006 serial code should have given you all previous content anyway.
I always download here, careful to tick 2004, 2006 and TC boxes http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS.php
So it would seem to me that you are a victim of the Auran shake up, and apart from the inconvenience, I am fairly certain things will be put right as soon as things settle down.
Cheers
Rod

Rod, thanks for the post.

Yes, it clearly states that you should not activate your new FCT until the old one expires. I was assuming that I needed one for 2004 and another for 2006. My bad.

I will certainly wait until things settle down and make another attempt then at getting things straightened out. In the meantime, I will enjoy the content I have on hand.

Didn't mean to be negative. Just sort of frustrated.

Thanks,

Fred

I didn't realise the Helpdesk was dead. Is it extinct or just being reshuffled?

Anyhoo, yes, when I joined this forum er... x years ago it was a very helpful place and I can't actually remember having to use the Helpdesk then. All things change but some help and support from our fellow Trainzers would be nice as well as useful.

Be kind to each other and play nicely.

Cheers

Nix

Rod, thanks for the post.

Yes, it clearly states that you should not activate your new FCT until the old one expires. I was assuming that I needed one for 2004 and another for 2006. My bad.

I will certainly wait until things settle down and make another attempt then at getting things straightened out. In the meantime, I will enjoy the content I have on hand.

Didn't mean to be negative. Just sort of frustrated.

Thanks,

Fred

Gee I did not see any negativity at all :)
But I certainly would have been frustrated by what happened to you, and knowing AJ would not be able to keep his eye on all these posts 24/7, thought you deserved some re-assurance. I love this Sim, and I want everyone here to get the best out of it :p
Cheers
Rod

I'm sorry guys if I missed something. I'm really tired after the last two days. I'll do anything I can to help.

Cheers

AJ

8) ...all my FCT's were pro-active, added onto the balance.
Really? Thats interesting, although I would have not had anyway to know that. I followed Auran's instructions and always renewed after the old one finished. Earlier this year, I had 4 bonus FCT's to use, one I had since 2005.
Cheers
Rod

Good Morning,

Well, now my TRS2006 DLS shows 364 days remaining, and TRS2004 DLS shows 6 months.

I'm good with that. Seems like patience is rewarded. (joke)

Long live Trainz.

Fred

I believe JCitron means well but probably everyone who has posted in this thread knows the "bitterness" that came from the past. Many Trainz users went their seperate ways over this and have not returned yet. I know people that used to come to this forum everyday and post. Now they don't really give a hoot what goes on here.

This will be a difficult period untill who knows when but the only place for help in the mean time is on this forum.

This line sticks out at me for a reason. This is not the only place that someone can get help. Maybe this is not entirely what was meant by this statement ?

In retrospect, Auran took a gamble and lost. Many people feel bad about this including myself. But, this is business and these things happen. Whether or not we support them right now is not going to change this fact. The only thing we can do is to keep doing what we are doing now. If Trainz survives through Auran, that's great. If not, then we (Trainzers worldwide) can keep it alive for a very long time to come. Hence, Trainz will survive. There are those that are "flipping out" about being no more Trainz. If it weren't for the countless number of creators out there making content for it, Trainz would have died along time ago.

If it should happen that Trainz & Auran cease to exist, people need to quit worrying about the forum, dls, etc. There are many well respected forums in existance that will gladly take on those looking for a "new home". As for the DLS, yeah, that would be a huge loss but not unreplaceable. There is a bright side to everything that happens. Although many can't see that yet.

To the Auran crew and ex-Auran crew, good luck with things.

Auran will no doubt survive through downsizing and outsourcing, as it's all about profit and loss. It's the employees who will suffer the loss and the products that will degrade in quality. The Trainz dev team has been cut to the bare bones, meaning that the few remaining employees will probably be doing double and triple duty at a fraction of their regular pay. We can support Trainz though it's illness by supplementing Third World products with Third Party accessories and add ons, but we can't nurse a sick product back to health with band aids alone. We'll have to wait and see what the future brings for Trainz. In the meantime, I intend to stick around and root for the home teams.

Back