Trainz Vs Rail Simulator - Which Is Better

You can't come to a solely Trainz forum (or a solely MSTS forum) looking for an impartial decision on whether you want X or Y simulator, you should've come to expect that it would've sparked a useless debate. Although I feel that you should've asked the UKTrainSim users because they're the most well-rounded community of all..(MSTS, RS, MSTS X, Trainz and BVE), I suggest you simply download the demo of Rail Simulator and the demo of Trainz 2006 and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
:hehe: If you ask my wifey...

"None of them, you little children playing with train toys!" :p (tougher in original Spanish version, :hehe:)

Yes, it depends on who you ask.

BTW, we are proud that this is Indian Trainzy Sacred Land :hehe: and much more of late. It's raining too much trouble over here, no time or liking to support other Indian tribes. ;) We respect our ancestors and their sacred places. :hehe:

Alberte :wave: , Chief Bald Skull

Last edited:
I do believe he has made his mind up and is looking at RS. This is because when he tried to register the game something went wrong and when he tried to post on the forum again he couldn't. He gave up at that point.

John

I like em both, Each has their good points and bad points,

RS is graphically prettier than trainz

Trainz has a much easier interface and controls.

The DLS is great, the only place ive found content for RS is on trainsim site and you have to pay for a worthing dl speed.

The editor in RS is simplar, The trainz one is more complex and versitile (I prefer it)

In all both are good and both are used by myself, Trainz more so as i have much more content for it :)

I has Rail Simulator here, wait since the begin for this game.

And then, spend much of money and it was bad.

Two things are good grafic and sound.

But gameplay?
Fun?

Nothing, there was only one train on a track - yours.
You can only drive from point to point like MSTS.

With Trainz I can do much more things.

I had bought Rail Simulator game. Its nothing special about the game,and the editor to make your own route is hard. Trainz is the best train simulator game out there right now.

I has Rail Simulator here, wait since the begin for this game.

And then, spend much of money and it was bad.

Two things are good grafic and sound.

But gameplay?
Fun?

Nothing, there was only one train on a track - yours.
You can only drive from point to point like MSTS.

With Trainz I can do much more things.

Ummmmm explain please?
You can drive in whichever way you want, you can run from point to point if you desire, you can run your train around in circles or figure 8's if that pleases you, you can switch yards, drop of cars at sidings, anything you could do in trainz, mabye except drive trains down vertical hills:eek:

I am not trying to cause a stir, but I love Trainz and hate Railsim.

The Trainz route editor is easy to use, there is a large selection of Canadian National content available, and Trainz will run on lower end computers.

The KRS route editor is barely useable to me, there is no CN content whatsoever, and it takes a higher end computer to run smoothly.

So, I recommend Trainz above all railway simulators.

-Skylar

Trainz

My son purchased Trainz Railways (TrainSimulator2006 Full Version) from Best Buy in Nov 2007 for $14 US. On EBay there are equal values, just make sure its original unopened from factory, or you may not be able to re-register it if someone has previously registered the disk with their own username and password. I think Trainz is great. Looking forward to MSTS 2 for the Horseshoe Curve route, but thats not even released yet...SO I'M BUILDING MY OWN Horseshoe Curve on Trainz:cool:

I am not trying to cause a stir, but I love Trainz and hate Railsim.

The Trainz route editor is easy to use, there is a large selection of Canadian National content available, and Trainz will run on lower end computers.

The KRS route editor is barely useable to me, there is no CN content whatsoever, and it takes a higher end computer to run smoothly.

So, I recommend Trainz above all railway simulators.

-Skylar

Trainz is usable on low end computers? Right...........
Sure if you want to run routes with minimal scenery and detail then it will run fine, try something detailed and your FPS will crash and burn. I gave up on trainz because i could never run the routes i created, the most i could do is take screenshots while i attempted to run with single digit FPS. with RailSim i have never had a serious FPS issue with either the default routes or my own routes, not to mention this is with shadows and shaders on vs Trs with no shadows, and of course no shaders as TRS doesnt even have them....
The route editor has a steeper learning curve yes, but it is hardly unusable, infact it allows things that would be impossible in trainz.
So you are saying RailSim sucks because it lacks CN content? well is that the developers problem? No go make some if you want it, even if they did include some then im sure you would be whining that there was no UP content.

And if you dare to criticise RS at UKTS (and Train-sim.com now, it seems) they release the hounds - even feedback in a constructive tone has a habit of being put down! I have noticed several people who were trying to get to grips with and make something of it no longer bothering or at least no longer posting.

At the moment it's uninstalled and unless I hear that the Mark 2 upgrade has significantly improved the core deficiencies I doubt I'll bother reinstalling it.

TC3 sounds fantastic from what you describe Mike, looking forward to the arrival of my copy.

I have purchased both editions of KRS (imported the UK Edition from UKTS and purchased the US Edition at Future Shop). While KRS is quite rich graphically, I really do not find it that much more impressive than quality third-party content for TRS. I'm very interested in what MSTS2 may have to offer, but at this point my preference is with TRS. You just can't beat the simplicity of TRS with any current competing train simulators and that's enough to keep me with Trainz.
The recent announcements from Auran regarding the future editions of Trainz are also quite exciting and enticing enough to keep my interest in it.

One slight point Al, Kuju is actually a British developer (based in Godalming, Surrey) not Japanese as you state in the article.

Back