2006 - Changeable Level Crossing Track

Forest_Runner

Hi all,

Not sure if this was ever documented prior to the Forum crash, so my apologies if this a repeat topic. I've personally found level crossings in the simulator rather annoying when the track is different to the track spline being laid. It can be something of an eyesore in a near perfect route.

I've opened up many level crossings, including the default XING (made by Rob Shaw) objects, via CCP and altered the settings to be able to change the track type.

If you're interested, go to the "track" sub-folder(s) within the "attached-track" folder. You are given a tick box to allow the "change to adjoining track" function. Obviously, check the box. From now on when one lays track, the XING object track will change to match it.

For track already laid, it won't work immediately. One has to delete all existing splines connected to the XING and then relay it......downloaded routes also fall under this scenario.

I've also mucked around with the adjoining road function with little success.....so you're on your own there. Now, to play around with tunnels and bridges…..

Cheers,
Simon

Don't forget this remedy is only suitable for the routes that you changed on your own PC. and if you upload the route it won't show the changes, the crossovers will have the origonal track.

NormP

Yes Norm, thanks. I probably should've elaborated more on that side of it. ;)

I manually tweak every route I d/l - ie the relaying of tracksplines connected to the XING object.

Some may consider it a bit of a pain, but IMHO the visual trade off is well worth it.

Cheers,
Simon.

Don't forget this remedy is only suitable for the routes that you changed on your own PC. and if you upload the route it won't show the changes, the crossovers will have the origonal track.

NormP

I wondered about this - has anyone actually tried it though?

Paul

I wondered about this - has anyone actually tried it though?

Paul

Yes Paul. I've modified all of Rob Shaws 06 built-in stuff + a few other extras as obtained from his site.

It's all as said. One has to go through and manually relay the said tracksplines for each new route you download.

It's similar in principle to me updloading a route, but I have any faulty dependencies fixed on my machine. You subsequently download the route, and it has some faulty dependencies for you to have fun with in CCP and/or config files.

Cheers,
Simon

That's not exactly what I meant. Has anyone made this change to a config, uploaded a route, and had someone else check what happens when the standard asset is used? Or alternatively, has anyone made this change, built the item into a route, and then changed the asset back to it's original state?
I ask because I'm wondering if the track type is stored in the .trk file, and not automatically updated according to the config if it is not placed as a new item. This appears to be the case, as an item that does take the adjoining track type can be made to retain a track type different to either of those that are actually attached.

Paul

Paul a simple test is to make a change in a config file and test the result on a route ,then go back and reinstall the origonal CDP ( i hope you saved DL/d CDP's)and you will be back to square 1.
I recently changed a footpath from "bendy 0 to bendy 1 " so I could have nice curved paths on the new tram route (WIP) but have had to reverse the process as I will eventualy upload the route and all the paths will be broken.

NormP.

Norm

Yes, I know. I just though if anyone had already tried it, it would save me the trouble... :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'll have to have a go - I'll let you know what happens...

Paul

That's a great idea, Forestrunner - Thanks!

I'd like to add though that you don't have to delete the track spline that is connected to the Xing object. All you have to do is use the track-break-apart at the spline tool, and then reconnect the spline to the object.

Hope this helps,

John

Yes Paul. I've modified all of Rob Shaws 06 built-in stuff + a few other extras as obtained from his site.

It's all as said. One has to go through and manually relay the said tracksplines for each new route you download.

It's similar in principle to me updloading a route, but I have any faulty dependencies fixed on my machine. You subsequently download the route, and it has some faulty dependencies for you to have fun with in CCP and/or config files.

Cheers,
Simon
Actually Simon that scenario probably indicates the changes you make will probably be seen by everyone else downloading the map. I think it has to be tested out.

I've made changes to configs to allow scenery objects to be tilted. When the configs are changed back to not permit tilting and the map is reloaded the objects still retain the tilt given to them. The tilt angle was written into the obs file when Surveyor last edited the object. However you can no longer change the tilt angle in Surveyor unless you have a modified config. Surveyor/Driver doesn't recreate all the objects in a map based on the config file data alone. They use the info in the trk and obs files which were written based on the status of the objects when they were last saved in Surveyor.

If you modify a crossing config and set it out or modify it in Surveyor the attached track kuid is written into the trk file for that section of track. If you save and upload that map the trk and obs files aren't changed if the map is downloaded by another user who doesn't have the modified config file. At least not until he makes a change to the crossing like you did to disconnect the attached track at which point the game would use the info in his version of the config file to recreate the track section on the crossing.

Anyhow just my understanding of how the configs and various map files work. Whether the game would handle the atteched track differently than the scenery object attitude would have to be tested out.

Be interesed in hearing what happens Paul.

Bob Pearson

Hi all,

If you're interested, go to the "track" sub-folder(s) within the "attached-track" folder. You are given a tick box to allow the "change to adjoining track" function. Obviously, check the box. From now on when one lays track, the XING object track will change to match it.

Would you please indicate where I can find "attached-track" folder and "track" sub-foder(s)? Ive done an "edit in explorer" but can' find them there.

Thanks, Bill.

Would you please indicate where I can find "attached-track" folder and "track" sub-foder(s)? Ive done an "edit in explorer" but can' find them there.

Thanks, Bill.

I think that he was referring to the options within Content Manager. ;) Otherwise, the tag "useadjoiningtracktype" is found in the Config.txt file of the asset.

I have noticed the "track not changing" problem in TRS2004. It is probably just the way that the Auran crossings (which were originally made back in the early days of Trainz ;)) were made. ;)

Regards.

Back