New Graphics card, any suggestions?

WileeCoyote

Eatibus Almost Anythingus
Well the GPU on my old desktop fried itself, and I need a new one. What is currently in there? A GeForce 5500, and I really want to get a better one (this one barely even runs Trainz). Unfortunately its PCI, so I really don't know what options I have, any suggestions?

WileeCoyote:D

If you are looking for a nVidia type, try their recommend page.
http://www.nvidia.com/HelpMeChoose/index.aspx?qid=1
If ATI, see if anyone is NOT having the problem I am first. Mine works except something about a file in Catalyst Control Center blocks TrainzObjectzExplorer from running. 8 months and all I get is, "Try the updated driver," that keep not working or, "Go ask this company," and this company is confused as to why I'm sent there. If you don't need TOE, then:
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/extension/UpgradeAdvisorFilter.aspx
ATI and a couple of makers using using ATI are offering trade-in deals on old cards, best to call to see what they can do. Haven't seen one for nVidia yet but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Unfortunately its PCI
Really PCI? Or PCI-E?

AGP boards are getting really difficult to find now so I don't think you'll get anything for PCI. Most video boards these days are PCI-E, in which case the nVidia 8000 series seems to get general approval, provided your computer's case has sufficient power supply and ventilation to take one of those beasts.

FWIW I got an AGP XFX 7600GT and am extremely happy with it.

John

Yes really PCI, though I would like to get a new motherboard and simply rebuild the machine from the ground up, the "Finanzminister" thinks otherwise;)

WileeCoyote:D

I have AGP and am upgrading to a nvidia 7900GS from a 6800GT this weekend. Ill get it installed and let you know how it performes. I have 2.5 gig of ram and a 2.2 ghz AMD processor.

You still should be able to find a decent PCI card. I went to staples the other day and they had a 8000 series 512 mb card in PCI on the shelf for 150.00

I have an nvidia 6200LE that I'm planning to upgrade to an 8600GT this weekend. I've got to upgrade my power supply for it also, but if all goes well, I'll report back. I'm expecting a noticable improvement.

8800 GT. No contest. It's cheaper than all the other boards of similar performance and outperforms all of them.

If you only have PCI, it's really time to get a new motherboard. We're on PCI-e 2.0 now. Try the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard from Newegg.

The 8800GT will match a (old) 8800GTS for performance, but will not "quite" beat it for memory transfer speed, there has just been (in the last couple of days) a new 8800GTS released that uses PCI Express 2.0 that will very near match a 8800GTX for performance as it stands.

Back