Fred931

Old, but still a nOOb
I am in search of some raillines in any of the following locations:

Mobile, AL./100 mi. radius
London, England/100 mi. radius
Alabama/anywhere in the state
Dallas-Ft. Worth/50 mi. radius
Houston, TX/50 mi. radius

please post any authors/route titles. ALL IDEAS MUST BE ABSOLUTELY COMPLETE!!! DO NOT POST FAULTY LAYOUTS, LAYOUTS WITH MISSING DEPENDENCIES, ETC!!!!!.......:eek:Did i just say it that loud? sorry!

complete to one may not be complete to another. I'm not sure that your bold demands will be taken too kindly here, but good luck to you.

Yeah, dream on.
Still, if there were such layouts I am sure they would be offered to you, inspite of your self.
Hey, I know, create one.

Also, if you want to try your hand at making your own route, fishlipsatwork has DEM/HOG's (just terrain and markings showing where tracks, roads, etc. go) of Birmingham-Montgomery for NS and CSX on the DLS.

London, England/100 mi. radius

Err, yeah, that is a very difficult one as there are around about 2,500 or more track miles. This is even counting the preserved lines and private/independant railways.

London itself is defined within a 20 mile or so radius and even then you are looking about 1k of route miles. That sort of project would see you into your death. I do have one route in development which does fall into the 100 mile radius, Portsmouth to Brighton, which isn't in London, but around 60 miles outside London. The route itself is about 44 miles long and has about 30 or so stations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coastway

The route only goes between Portchester to Brighton, which includes the branch to Portsmouth, Bognor, Littlehampton, Brighton and London Road (Brighton) but not much of other branches sorry to say.

I wish I could help you out but until David Drake comes through with an 800 meter wide kudzu spline, doing routes in Alabama would be impossible.

(This is an inside joke for those of you that don't live in the southeastern US.)

William

My routes are mostly SE United States and I would love to have a kudzu spline. The sad thing is that when I was a boy scout back in the 1960's, it was thought that this wonder plant would solve our erosion problems and we spent many a weekend planting kudzu as conservation projects. Little did we know :eek:

Yeah, Dave has some trees covered in kudzu but the effect just isn't the same without it being surrounded by a sea of kudzu. I don't think I've ever seen a ground texture. Is there one?

William

Last edited:
Let Me Clarify

What I meant was just single routes, not the ENTIRE system of railroads. I have an old computer that does run everything with enough power to spare, but only 30 gig's left. I'd also appreciate any with scenarios.

Fred931

P.S. It doesn't matter whether or not I have kudzu obscuring the SE routes.

Last edited:
And...

I'm only a new person to the Trainz 'Technapalooza.' Making my own route would take years, no matter the size. Making a RR look-alike could take me until retirement.

I'm only a new person to the Trainz 'Technapalooza.' Making my own route would take years, no matter the size. Making a RR look-alike could take me until retirement.

Yes this is true. I have been working on a route for three years and it still not more than 30% done but that is the fun of it. Since you are new I will warn you creating your know model railroad with trainz is highly addictive and may cause you hundreds of hours of enjoyment.:hehe:

Everyone says this, yet I can't spend more than a week or two on a route before I give up. Not because I get bored, oh no. I am one of those people that can't stop changing my mind and keep tweaking things. I actually spent about a month on one route... and I didn't get to the third baseboard.

I prefer now to tweak or change existing routes I have, made by other people. Whether it's tidying it up, adding something in... I give up on this as well sometimes :hehe:

Fred, I guess I'm curious as to why you want or need those particular routes.

I've been working on north-central Colorado for about 3 years now as well, averaging about 2 hours a day. Finished products including routes, scenery, locos, rolling stock etc, that are really worthwhile cannot be thrown together as you are possibly implying.

My technique has improved dramatically over the last 3 years only because I made the commitment to get everything close to reality as possible and willing to invest the time. For me, that's the basis of getting the most out of Trainz.

My personal enjoyment begins with extensive research, such as visiting the areas, studying photos and video, interviewing railroad workers, studying maps, ect.
I've volunteered recently with the local short-line RR by pulling old rails and loading railroad ties onto flatbed trucks in exchange for info to help me with my route. It's a pretty incredible feeling to be actually working on the same track that you've been modeling in Trainz.

The bottom line is, learn what is involved with what you are asking for before you ask.

JD

Back