VIDEO FOOTAGE: NSW AD60 Beyer-Garratt

Red_Rattler

Since 09 May 2003
Yes that's right AD602000, I have a 28 year old footage of a Beyer Garratt - on a passenger train with FO type carriages!

It's only a very tiny small clip & not really clear as it is a copy from a Super8 film, as the projector I was using failed on me, just like the other three did - just when it started to get interesting, almost ruining part of the film in the process! Also of note is a 620/720 in one of the original colours. Shame the sound didn't work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8AxqdxmZ24
The train was doing shuttles from Newcastle to the now demolished platforms & bridge of Cockle Creek station.

Last edited:
Wow that brings back memories. i recall standing on one of the then wooden footbridges over the line and watched the Garrett blast out of Newcastle. i had a picture of the loco in action but it may have been lost in a house move.
i agree it is a shame the sounds are not with it .

Cheers

Ghosty

i agree it is a shame the sounds are not with it
That was the projector's fault, as it was a Super8 film with sound, and it decided to go silent on me, and copied to a video with sound! And since while I had it out, thought I would film as much as I could.

I remember that weekend.

I took some super8 myself in various locations. Mine was transfered to VCR ages ago and I have now put it on a DVD.

It is mixed in with about 30 minutes of stuff I took while working in the steam days.

Only problem was my super8 had no sound.

Dennis

Red_Ratler did you get my email?

Not sure about the year, will try to find out as I know the driver who was on it.

Dennis

Hi red_rattler.

I have succeeded in clipping out of my video a section of 6039 on that day. It goes for 3:27

The resulting AVI file is 73mb though.

If you would like to email me I can send it to you via yousendit.

Dennis

Garratt Newcastle Flyer

Yes that's right AD602000, I have a 28 year old footage of a Beyer Garratt - on a passenger train with FO type carriages!

It's only a very tiny small clip & not really clear as it is a copy from a Super8 film, as the projector I was using failed on me, just like the other three did - just when it started to get interesting, almost ruining part of the film in the process! Also of note is a 620/720 in one of the original colours. Shame the sound didn't work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8AxqdxmZ24
The train was doing shuttles from Newcastle to the now demolished platforms & bridge of Cockle Creek station.

About this time (though it may have been earlier the engine pulling the Midday flyer (I think) from Sydney to Newcastle (38 clas??) broke down at Cockle Creek and a 60 Class was unhooked from a coal train waiting on the Coal line and attached to the flyer to take it into Newcastle, I know there was an article in the Newcastle Herald at the time and it was particularly noted that the Garratt was too long to use the points to access the middle track and I think it was run out to Broadmedow before returning to Newcastle with a proper replacement loco. I would like these memories to be confirmed and made more accurate if anyone has information. (i am sure it is not your footage - wrong carriages and too many people on platform - but someone may see this and remember)

Back