Help for a Novice on Portals

jconn2

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place. I will stand corrected if so:eek:.
I have spent all day trying to get a pair of portals to work. All I want is for a consist to dissappear into portal 1 and reappear at portal 2 (with driver and preferably the driver commands intact). The manual seems useless on this topic and I've tried every permutation of potals and iportals and the best I've managed so far is to send the consist into portal 1. Then I have to Ctrl/RTC on portal 2 to create consist. This produces the consist but their is no driver and I can't take control. It just runs for a while, stops and sits there:(.
Can anyone provide an idiots guide to using portals for the above purpose?

Thanks, Jeff.

Portals were also an insoluable mystery on my first few attempts.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Ctrl/RTC"

Here is my step-by-step Idiots Guide to portals. This is from memory as I cannot have both Trainz and Internet running at the same time.

Portal 2 (the exit portal) - (we'll do this in reverse order as it makes more sense) - Standard Auran supplied portal - open its properties (? Icon in Surveyor), name it and set it to receive all trains even though it will be producing trains swallowed by portal 1 - no other changes needed.

Portal 1 (the entry portal) - Standard Auran supplied portal - open its properties, name it and set it to receive all trains. Then set it to return its trains via portal 2 (name of portal 2 needed) after, say, 5 minutes. Set Load/Unload as required.

Trains sent into Portal 1 will reappear 5 minutes later with the same driver, consists (load/unloaded as per portal settings) and driver commands.

Peter Ware

Many thanks for that! I've been happily playing with portals today and they finally work:)! One query, why is the 'Portal Basic Short' different. Even with the same settings as 'Portal' and 'Portal Basic' it still has the habit of losing the driver and control. Pity the manual is so basic.

BTW Ctrl/RTC wqas meant to represent Control+Right Click. Oops!:eek:

Thanks, Jeff.

Back