Boot Files

danny5

join 1-1-2005
Hi all I have a nother computer and I found that my boot up files are gone. Is there anyway to copy them from this comp to that one are do I do a conplete restore ? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in Advance Danny5

It should be possible, assumming the two computers have exactly the same version of Windows. It really depends on whether you're confident using DOS I think.

On the computer that's ok, build a DOS system (i.e. bootable) floppy disk (or CD if either computer hasn't got a floppy drive). Use that disk to boot up the computer with the problem and copy the boot files off the boot disk using DOS. Some of the files will be hidden.

Use a CD-RW to avoid wasting CD-R's with attempts that don't work.

---

Another idea, boot up the computer with the problem with a Windows installation CD. It might be able to repair things - BUT there is a risk that it might also wipe everything, so probably not advisable unless you've got a recent backup of anything you care about.

---

You might need to fiddle with the BIOS to make it boot from floppy or CD instead of the hard disk.

HTH, John

boot file

Thanks John I will give it a try . If there is anymore coment Please let me know

Thanks again John

You can try this its fairly safe, I have had to used it a few times and had no problems BUT YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK :(

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

or this which can ruin the partition table, use with care

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

But first I would advise taking the drive out of its computer, putting it in the other computer as a data disk and getting all your data backed up.

Cheers David

I thought of a possible problem - a DOS system floppy might not be able to read an NTFS hard disk. Sorry, I don't know if there's a solution.

John

Thanks everybody I think I shoud take it to someone that know what they are doing. Iam not sure of what to do,after I copy the file and put it on the other comp,and of course if don,t work out it will be ALL my fault :'( :'(
Thanks Again

Back