Auran in the News

Drucifer

Member Since 20 Oct 2001
Auran Facing Financial Troubles
By Andy Chalk

Fury developer Auran is rumored to be facing financial trouble and has told its employees to seek work elsewhere.

Angry Gamer is reporting that the company's woes stem largely from its recently released MMOG Fury, which focused exclusively on fast-paced PVP combat rather than lengthy character grinding. Despite its novel approach to the genre, the game has not done well since its October 16, with one anonymous source saying, "Fury was a financial disaster, it lost Auran a lot of money."

Company management has told employees that it cannot guarantee their jobs past the end of this week, and has suggested they look for opportunities with other companies. The quality assurance department is expected to take the brunt of the layoffs, while marketing and key management positions will remain safe for now. Melbourne-based developer Tantalus Interactive is reported to be taking on up to 20 Auran staffers, while the Fury project itself may be outsourced to China, where it can be maintained more cheaply.

Based in Brisbane, Australia, Auran was founded in 1995 and experienced success with its first release, Dark Reign: The Future of War, in 1997. The company is also known for its Trainz series of railroad simulators

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79623-Auran-Facing-Financial-Troubles

Tony Hilliam: Rumours of Auran's Demise "Greatly Exaggerated"
Auran CEO Tony Hilliam has made a statement regarding the rumour that the company today planned to let a number of staff go, mainly in its QA department.

While Hilliam confirms that the Fury team will be reduced, it's more to do with creating an "agile" group of developers better able to address the needs of the game. Contrary to what the original Angry Gamer story led many to believe, the company is not going bust:
As I explained to the staff yesterday, whilst FURY has started off slower than expected, I still see a bright and long future ahead. However, that future will not include the full 60 man development team who have worked on FURY for the past year. The future will focus on a smaller, more agile core team of Fury developers. These are people who are incredibly passionate about the game and work until 4 in the morning to ensure they get things done.
It's actually fairly normal for a dev team to shrink after the release of a title. The difference here is that Auran is going to the trouble of finding ex-employees other opportunities instead of just casting them into the sea of joblessness.

The statement goes on to mention that Auran plans to outsource at least some of the content development for Fury to China, where it says it has had a lot of success already.

Finally, Hilliam says that Tantalus (who we're stilling waiting to hear from) is right now opening a new studio near Auran's base of operations up in Brisbane. The new studio, which will focus on Wii and DS titles, will employ a few ex-Auran folk.

Tony's full statement can be found after the jump.
Several websites have circulated rumours regarding impending doom at Auran. Here is the official comment from Auran CEO, Tony Hilliam:

Auran has grown from 30 to 70 staff over the past few years, and in the past few months we’ve released FURY, Battlestar Galactica for XBLA and the 6th Edition of the long running Trainz franchise. In addition to game development, we also have a successful publishing business and release around 40 titles each year in Australia and New Zealand. In fact, we have just started licensing Australian-made titles to take to the world market.​

Fury has been operating for 6 weeks and our first Free content update, the “Age of the Chosen” will definitely be released on December 14. Fury: AotC addresses many of the issues identified by players and reviewers in the original release. We’ve greatly enhanced the new player experience and made huge improvements to a number of systems. There will be another major FURY announcement next week about further changes that will be very exciting to all players (unless of course one of the staff under strict NDA decide to leak those details as well).​

As I explained to the staff yesterday, whilst FURY has started off slower than expected, I still see a bright and long future ahead. However, that future will not include the full 60 man development team who have worked on FURY for the past year. The future will focus on a smaller, more agile core team of Fury developers. These are people who are incredibly passionate about the game and work until 4 in the morning to ensure they get things done.​

FURY has been a big part of our lives and the core team will be doing everything they can to make sure it reaches its full potential. Anyone who has played a close game of Vortex or come back from 2-0 down to beat the opposing team in Elimination know of that potential. Sadly, too many players have only experienced a savage beating at the hands of veteran players. Perhaps they may pick up their bloodied corpses and return next weekend to see what we have done to help them get into the game.​

Regarding China, during the past two years we successfully used several outsourcing companies and will be looking to China to create much of the new content that we will release in future updates. Furthermore, we’re talking with a number of publishers in Asia regarding co-development deals.​

In addition, Auran and Tantalus are working together with a view to selecting a number of Auran staff to be part of new Tantalus studio (in Brisbane next to the Auran studio) working on DS and Wii titles. In fact, those interviews are taking place right now.​

So the rumour mill got a number of things right or close to it, and I am happy to be able to add a little more detail. As they say in the classics, the death of Auran and FURY has been greatly exaggerated.​

Tony Hilliam​

CEO, Auran Games​

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2007/12/tony_hilliam_rumours_of_auran.html

"Excellent......now we can work until 4 in the morning while muttering under our breath!"......rumored quote from a Fury core development team member.

Ed

Fury's collapsed big time ... maybe, the jury is still out I guess!!

Me think that Auran should have put their resources (staff working until 4 in the morning as the article started") ......behind RSP when they have the opportunity to do so!!!

Ish

Last edited:
:hehe: I also work until my 4.00 a.m. (and later) in Trainz but it's my hobby.

What happens to the Brisbaners is worse and worrying (for them) not for Auran. ;)

Alberte :hehe:, working for free now. :wave:

Ooooooh no. If Trainz goes open source or something other it'll turn into an inconceivable mess!

And what's RSP?

Ooooooh no. If Trainz goes open source or something other it'll turn into an inconceivable mess!

And what's RSP?

really!? I generally find that items that are O-S are better than there C-S counter parts.

peter

If Auran goes bust (which I highly doubt they will), then we can buy the source code in the yard sale afterwards ;)

Mike.

All i hope is that auran will be alright.

I am curious if they have a loan because they get interest for every loan you take out.

Looks like only time will tell.

Last edited:
I hope that Auran will not go out of business. I want Auran to abandon other games and focus on "Trainz" programs. It is still easy to create new routes in Trainz.

Hello

This post from Rob from Auran in Brisbane below 2 days ago states Trainz is still strong:D and I'm pretty sure it won't affect Trainz now and the future.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=18749

Hello, gus1911,

I have the inside "poodah" for you. :hehe:

Auran itself will not be issuing a TRS2008 package, though overseas publishers may re-issue TRS2006 Vista under TRS2008 title with additional built-in content. The truth is that Trainz being a small operation must exploit these avenues for developement revenue in order to survive.

Auran intends to continue the Trainz Classics line, expanding with each edition and aiming for a final TRS package which comes up as much as possible to this fastidious team's expectations of the product.

Of course we were always going to alienate a good proportion of our audience with each edition concentrating so heavily on one element of Trainz, and we expected a slow uptake.

As a basic indication of progress so far, I personally am very happy with these particular updates...

Satisfactorily improving the implementation of sounds for electric trains.

Setting a new precedent for built-in scripting of road crossings.

Commisioning an upgrade of that awful old interface. :hehe:

Providing the possibility of cab signalling and built in train protection.

There's a lot more to TC1&2 than that of course but those examples are still fresh in memory whilst I am much more focused on the exciting new Settle and Carlisle edition.

Generally we are doing with each edition an update that the revenue affords rather than trying to offer more than we realistically can.

Yep, we broke the sky, but I have already replied that we will look at that, and with a new edition available early next year, supporters will notice the improvement.

I can't remember an edition of Trainz that didn't break something from the previous, such is progress. There are so many elements to Trainz that issues like this inevitably slip through. All the more reason as we see it to focus on small parts at a time.

Of course the choice is yours. Those who are satisfied with TRS2006 and it's generous rations continue to support us by refreshing it with our Trainz Routes CDs. Those deadset about seeing a really savvy version of Trainz in the future are supporting TC directly.

We're grateful for your help either way.

Hope this helps,

~R~

Regards

Ahsan:)
North American Trainz Team

From Industry Experience This IS Normal......

From my experience in the software development industry (as a accountant) it is not unusual to hire up software engineers during the developement of a project and to let them go once a project is complete. These guy are good and extremely expensive and will not have a difficult time finding new employment. On the other hand, Auran has to keep its fixed costs in line with revenues to be a successful company. Cut a few engineers and support staff and it adds up quick in terms of costs savings. In business terms think of the engineers as capenters and Auran is the landlord. Once the building (software) is built the carpenters are no longer needed and the building (software) is ready to be leased (licensed).

TRS2006 Vista sounds interesting. I have TRS2004 running on my new laptop but there are some things it doesn't like doing which I'm sure are down to the O/S.

While one hopes this is all a worry about nothing the biggest single issue of any "re-structuring" or significant change would be the continuation of the DLS. The whole Trainz content concept revolves around users being able to upload/download stuff from one central repository including the necessary assets. While you could at a pinch put a route file itself on UKTS or TS.com, it will contain many assets from different sources and would not be viable without the DLS to get these from one place.

I just renewed my DLS subscription last week so that's £6.99 to the cause and will continue to develop for and support TRS for the forseeable future.

That is not good. Maybe Auran could pull the game that has caused them problems off the market. That's not an order, it is an idea I had. Then they could possibly release another version of Trainz. Trainz Classics seems to be rising in sales. Another Trainz version would shoot Auran's game sales through the roof in my opinion.

-quakers1

Another Trainz version would shoot Auran's game sales through the roof in my opinion.

The only way that would happen is if the newer version had exceptional graphics, physics improvements, excellent realism, and could maintain great performance.

(Like that will happen within the next 7 years :eek:)

Thanks, Drucifer for alerting us all to this "news".

As Tony has already given his personal response I don't think there's much more we need to say about it. Auran has cut it's numbers on more than one occasion in the past in order to keep a foothold, and grown again each time after momentum had built.

Of course redundancy is an unfortunate reality of business, and it's understandable that sometimes personalities respond less than graciously. Sometimes we forget that for our passions we take our chances working in such a volatile industry.

Whilst I don't wish to trivialise the situation, I think it has attracted much more sensation than it really deserves.

Cheers!

~R~

Thanks, Drucifer for alerting us all to this "news". .
. . .
Cheers!

~R~
Read both stories. They seem to be the same except you get it from two different points of view. Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

The only way that would happen is if the newer version had exceptional graphics, physics improvements, excellent realism, and could maintain great performance.

(Like that will happen within the next 7 years :eek:)

Perhaps there are several directions Trainz could progress in, as it has the all important "user friendly", scenery designer, options for alternative dem data...and nearly forgot water at different levels.:)

Beyond that I can't possibly comment;)

Barry

Back