Hey Midland!- Horn blasts and signals

trainzguy1160

Virtual NZR driver
Hi Midland. trainzguy here. Whenever I leave a station I push the horn button for a few seconds to indicate I have acknowleged the right of way.
And whenever I approach the station I give a short honk. Same goes for a level crossing or bridge. I've become so accquainted with New Zealand signals and it's all thanks to you. Also can you explain to me the various types of signals like:down main home signal etc.
PS. you have email.
Merry Christmas!:)
trainzguy:)

Hi Paul, glad to be of help.

Trains going in one direction are travelling "up" and are given even numbers. Trains going in the opposite direction are travelling "down" and are given odd numbers. Up and down are not necessarily linked to north south etc. For example all trains travelling toward Christchurch are "up" and all trains travelling away from Christchurch are "down". Trains on the SIMT are "up" when heading north but trains on the Picton line are "down" when heading north!

Once you get this idea of "up" and "down" you can see how it can also be applied to signals. Trains travelling "up" encounter "up" signals and so on.

The expression "home" "outer home" "starter" "advanced starter" etc applies to where the signal is in relation to a station or crossing loop.

For example Rolleston is a junction just south of Christchurch. A train travelling north to Christchurch will first of all encounter the up home at Rolleston which will allow it to enter the station. It will then encounter the up starter which will allow it to leave Rolleston and head north to Christchurch. A train going away from Christchurch and approaching Rolleston will encounter the down home first and then the down starter.

As long as you know which way is up or down you can work out which way the signals are facing and what they are called.

It's terribly complicated to describe but it's very easy to understand when you see it happening. I'll see if I can find an illustration to help.

Have a good Christmas too. :D

Cheers

Nix

Thanks Midland! BTW I think I saw a DX in the Clockwork Orange scheme at the Boston Road down main signal, how cool is that?
Also the signal at my station where I get on is a stop and proceed. It's number is 1415. This means that the next marker is 1km and 415m away correct?
What's the call for a stop and proceed and a stop and stay, just to
refresh my memory?:confused:
Thanks, trainzguy

1415 should mean it is 14 kms from wherever you start measuring up there. Auckland station I presume.

The call for any light at red, be it stop & stay, stop & proceed, semaphore or even ground shunt signals is always "all red".

Cheers

Nix

Back