your favorite steam locomotive

I think that what the German think about this "recorded" is not polite enough to be written here.

Here the Pennsylvania RR Js. I think is one of the nicest-looking locomotives:

Js.jpg

what a brute, would love to have that one in Trainz:eek:

I guess I have to bring out the big guns as well:hehe:
usdream.jpg

I also like the chalenger but I think we all know what that looks like:)
And everyone in the U.S. has to like and know this locomotive.
GoldenSpike03.jpg

This Henschel made BR 45 with the large wind plates is one of my favorites. I have seen her "lighter" sister the BR 44 numerous times in action and own the Roco made HO model.

BR45-026.jpg

Hold on...is that thing hauling....passengers?

You sure that's not a model?
If you had a history channel video that I have you would kno already that they hauled passengers in the rare ocassions:hehe: ;)
But in this case it could just be part of its freight drag.....

This Henschel made BR 45 with the large wind plates is one of my favorites. I have seen her "lighter" sister the BR 44 numerous times in action and own the Roco made HO model.
The smaller sister of the 45 has been the 41. Liliput made a Model of the 45 I own. Steamlocomotiveworks make both of them, but Payware...

Ny Favorite Steam Locomotive

My favorite Loco has to be SJ class B #1149 now on the Belfast and Moosehead Lake RR at Unity,Me. Otherwise I will say any brute of a locomotive, from geared logging locomotives to the mighty articulateds and any high tractive efort locomotive in between. However as the exception proves the rule and I'm also a sucker for those little 2' gauge Forneys, must be a Maine thing.

I'd say I fancy steam beasts; big, snorting, and weathered please.
Shame I can't manage one :confused:
J33

I can imagine hundreds of locs for you mainly uk BR ones but I can still remember the German locs that passed my married quarters in ,my army days (sigh !!!!) wouldnt exchange the memories for anything :D

Here's my 'top 5' List (all Aussie locos) ;)

5: NSWGR C38 class 4-6-2 (naturally, the mighty 38 has to be in there somewhere lol What else needs to be said about Australia's most famous steam loco class?)

4: SAR 400 class 4-8-2+2-8-4 (I love Garratts, and would have included the problematic Australian Standard Garratt (ASG) instead, on account they ran here in WA, but the 400 wins out for it's rugged beauty and being a far more reliable machine :p )

3: WAGR G class 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 (the WA equivilant of the SAR Y class, and the closest to an 'Australian standard engine', the little G still steams on today, with 2 members, 2-6-0 G 233 and 4-6-0 G 123, in the care of preservation societies, after more than a century in continuous service, having outlived every other steam and diesel locomotive that came after them!)

2: WAGR W class 4-8-2 (the WAGR's 'jack-of-all-trades' loco, this was probably their most successful design, hauling everything from the WAGR's crack expresses like The Australind, suburban passenger, shunting, heavy freight, mixed trains on the lightly laid branchlines that made up the bulk of the WA network - you name it, the W's did it. And, from a class of 60 locos, 19 have been preserved across 3 states, with 9 in operational condition.

1. WAGR V class 2-8-2 (the last new class of steam loco purchased by the WAGR, the 'Big V' was a fitting swan-song to WAGR steam power. The Vs were heavy freight haulers - with a big fat boiler, wide firebox and all the latest technical developments in steam power, they performed perfectly right up to the end of steam operation. Sadly though, out of a class of 24 engines only 4 survived the scrapper's torch, with 2 operable. Still, at least those precious 4 remain as a memorial to the romance of steam.)

Sorry if I kinda went off on a tangent there. I'll post pics later once I can find some from my collection. ;)

Last edited:
Ok my top 5 favroite Steam Locomotives:
5. #999 NYC
4. PRR K4 Pacific
3. #4999 Southern Pacific
2. NYC hudsons
1. NYC Niagaras

Back