Australian screenshots

Hi Petan,

I use a combination of things.

One check is the [+], or absence thereof, on the front buffer beam to distinguish between saturated vs superheated locos. With other standard goods locos, there is also the [x] for special balanced driving wheels.

Another check is the smoke box shape and length, but as you've pointed out, it's not much cop from front on, just as it's ambiguous for either method from a rear view. There are also saturated locos with extended smokeboxes to add to the mix. So the answer is a pineapple. Pete's model has the two lamps on the buffer beam rather than a headlight.

What I've also found fascinating with the D50/53/55 classes are also the variety of Low Sided, Wampu, Mort's Dock and Turret tenders as well - but that is another story.

Generally; publications, archives, old photos my father took and of course guidance here on the Forums, are my way of trying to make things in Trainz close to at least resembling proto. There's a wealth of information out and about.

A very good reference source for the NSW standard Goods classes are Ron Prestons Standards in steam series. One volume covers the T ( D50), another the TF/K classes ( D53/D55) ( the other volumes cover the S (C30/C30T) and P( C32) classes).

While Not exhaustive, and very much centered on the usage of these of these machines, there is enough technical & photographic information to get a reasonably accurate representation of these machines - as has been pointed out, the variations are endless: with the T class, major variations include two different types of smokebox for the superheated versions ( the last batches, built by North British, had the chimney 12 inches further back than the later superheated rebuilds), the use of laird or alligator cross heads, some were fitted in their later years with front auto couplers, virtually all superheats were fitted with electric light, and most saturates, with the exception of 5112, without - another giveaway as to saturate/superheat is the absence of tailrods on superheats - the exception being the two unique Super B's

the TF and K classes had fewer variations, but even there variations existed. Designed as superheats from the start, wartime conditions dictated a number of TF's were built as saturates, a breed that vanished with the locomotive culls of the depression, Built initially with coned boilers, as in Pete's model, they were progressively fitted with the standard parallel boiler from the 30's, initially with a drum head smoke box - by the end, all survivors had been fitted with an extended smokebox saddle.

The major variation with the K's was initially limited to the use of outside axleboxes on the final 20 or so. Again reboilered with the standard boiler by the late 40's the final variation was the fitting of oil firing of quite a number during the late 40's... these did not last long, and the K's as a class was the first to go

there were of course minor variations on all classes, the position of the boiler feed, the use of exhaust injectors for a time, variations in the smokebox door, and its seating arrangements etc etc and individual variations - saturated 5112, for example, ended up with alligator crossheads, electric light, on its last shopping, front auto couplers and a morts dock tender, 5240 ended up with a leading funnel smoke box ( with 5048 having a NB type! ) and so on

Tenders were another story - as originally built, the T & TF classes were fitted withe the standard 3650 gallon tender as modeled by Pete. Midway thru the TF program, and continuing with the K's the 'Wampu' tender was introduced, with a boxier body, and a straight sided flair at the top, these held 4000 gallons of water. A small number of the turret 3650 gallon Morts dock tender were also built in the late 20's. Finally, with many of the the older tenders rusting out, 200 5000 gallon 'commonwealth' tenders were built about 1950, which of course became the predominant tender over the final years ( half a dozen or so c35's were also paired with this tender for the last couple of years too)

Tenders were often exchanged at will, while the original 3650 gallon tender was usually paired withe saturated D50's, it was not unknown for D50's to be paired with wampu's, Morts, and ultimately commonwealth tenders; Some tenders were at various times of their lives paired with members of all three classes

As an aside, the current models available do not allow for a perfectly accurate representation of the TF/K classes in their later years - with the final reboilering of the TF's & K's occurring in the mid 40's, a couple of years prior to the introduction of the modeled commonwealth tender . The only truly prototypically accurate combination available at present would be the D53 + D50 tender in a layout set prior to the end of WW2 - No matter - the models are excellent, and I'm sure Pete has better things to do than model every possible variation of the standard goods!

Just a route that i work on from time to time out of boredom
coreycat_20120418_0001.jpg
coreycat_20120418_0000.jpg
[/IMG]

I have finally been able to check out Kent's BVL route (with a little help from him for the trees) and it is truly one of the best I have seen. The scenery, textures, treez placement etc all work extremely well together to make a train trip on the route rather smooth and enjoyable. I was quite surprised by how well it did go with a train running around and all those trees, no jerkiness at all :hehe:

Congratulations Kent, brilliant work.

Craig
:):):)

The down load opening for the 86 class pack has now ended
Hoping to hear from anybody who has played with them or even a screen shot or two.

Will be looking for test bunnies for the new U set soon.

Thanks
Dave
Bearcat245

Bear the 86 class work good except for the candy once they show up with missing dependencies i have them in 2012 the fc 85s show up the same i changed the cab in them to i think a br 47 class which loooks almost the same looking out the front window except for the control panel its nothing like the real thing i really like the tuscan 85 i would like to be a test pilot for the u set looks good i think thou it has to much silver on the front and the cab door on the right side is in the wrong spot but looks good anyway u said u have not change the mesh only the texture which may have something to do with it as dont have any idea on building these things i only like driving them cheers alcoholic lover of the 44 class.

Even though I am no longer active in trainz I always check the aus screenshots thread and enjoy the quality of the work shown here keep up all the good work and HI! to all my friends

Anyone know of any good routes to run PacNat Coalies and/or freighters?

I would recommend Axe's (axe1970) Georgetown to Tarin Rocks route... and rip all the sessions for it for good measure. The route is a cracking representation of Australiana. I think it's well suited to run anything from say 1970's to 2012 on it, representative of any state as well.

After that... wait with baited breath for his Oxford to Queens project to be released.

I would recommend Axe's (axe1970) Georgetown to Tarin Rocks route... and rip all the sessions for it for good measure. The route is a cracking representation of Australiana. I think it's well suited to run anything from say 1970's to 2012 on it, representative of any state as well.

After that... wait with baited breath for his Oxford to Queens project to be released.
thanks forest runner ill give it a go but im cracking to c the release of your bowen mountain

Thank you mate. I must say Bowen Mountain looks excellent.

Some more from Oxford to Queens TS2010 Edition

168axe1970_20120417_0000.jpg

639axe1970_20120417_0002.jpg

634axe1970_20120417_0001.jpg

The route is pretty much ready, just building some basic sessions. Trying to get Natvanders Diverge Signals to play nice is another issue. Sometimes they work, some times they don't.

After I have released the TS2010 version I will work at converting a TS12 version.

Regards

Bear the 86 class work good except for the candy once they show up with missing dependencies i have them in 2012 the fc 85s show up the same i changed the cab in them to i think a br 47 class which loooks almost the same looking out the front window except for the control panel its nothing like the real thing i really like the tuscan 85 i would like to be a test pilot for the u set looks good i think thou it has to much silver on the front and the cab door on the right side is in the wrong spot but looks good anyway u said u have not change the mesh only the texture which may have something to do with it as dont have any idea on building these things i only like driving them cheers alcoholic lover of the 44 class.
Thanks mate thats just the type of info that I am after or need

G'day to you Dreddy.

I hope your have a good one, and I might come see you sometime in my flashy 2000 class railmotor.

Cheers & Beers

Michael G

Even though I am no longer active in trainz I always check the aus screenshots thread and enjoy the quality of the work shown here keep up all the good work and HI! to all my friends

Wow those locos are such a blast from the past there both over 10 years old - in trainz years - they must be old sp3 era content
oh.. wow i feel a bit silly now haha sorry i found them on the dls so i thought they were only just made my bad. Also i can see why auran has left creators like davido, natvander and others including urself bear to make NSW content

Last edited:
Looking towards Boree Creek from Cullivel.
dimi_108_20120419_0007-1.jpg

Yuluma station.
dimi_108_20120420_0004.jpg

7km south of Boree Creek.
dimi_108_20120419_0008.jpg

Eades Street crossing looking towards Boree Creek yard. The silos can be seen in the distance.
dimi_108_20120419_0000.jpg

Boree Creek station.
dimi_108_20120420_0005.jpg

Top view of Boree Creek. Still a few more things to add to the town but pretty much it so far.
dimi_108_20120420_0003-1.jpg

dimi_108_20120420_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Back