Australian screenshots

Peterborough Narrow Gauge: Gladstone to Port Pirie Extension
1965-1969

Collection of shots form my layout along with original images. Original photos sourced from Lionel Nobels wonderful collection

CRYSTAL BROOK
https://lionelnoble.com/crystalbrook/
Garratt taking on water with freight at Crystal Brook
Slight variation from original photo (see below) in that the track to the rear had been removed and the new standard gauge line is in place. Photo is from about 1962
2022-10-13-175102.jpg

Garratt-402-taking-water.jpg

Garratt passing station building and old goods shed in Crystal Brook
Correction to track alignment into Goods Shed required. Yard tracks are lowed but shed does not support this and requires some magic to correct
2022-10-13-175906.jpg

CB-Rail-Yard-BW-1969.jpg

Oil burning Garratt rolling over Crystal Brook NG bridge. The new SG bridge stands behind, awaiting a flood in Oct 1975 to wash it away
2022-10-13-180722.jpg

400-Crystal-Book-Bridge-Tony-Giancapro-engineman.jpg

PORT PIRIE
https://lionelnoble.com/portpirie/
Port Pirie main yard set about 1967. Mary Elie station to the left is in place along with the new Bogie Exchange shed in the foreground. Partial SG line running into the shed with the old NG tracks routed through until removal in 1970
Background, especially to the left is incomplete with random clutter for now. Smelters in the distance about 40% complete
More WIP clutter in foreground will be added
2022-10-13-182254.jpg

Port-Pirie-Yard-West.jpg

Port Pirie Main Yard looking towards Alpha Terrace
Some rework on the Broad Gauge line in the center of the image required
More WIP clutter in foreground will be added
2022-10-13-182539.jpg

Port-Pirie-Yard.jpg

Wow that is really impressive!!!!
I really like such historical recreations, they just look so nice!
I'm wondering if the NG Garratt is available to the public?

Wow that is really impressive!!!!
I really like such historical recreations, they just look so nice!
I'm wondering if the NG Garratt is available to the public?
Thanks. Lots of work, like everyone else.

The Garratt is SAR 406 and is available on DLS. Pick the 09 version
SAR 406 front section 09 KUID2:81997:469:1
SAR 406 mid section 09 KUID2:81997:489:1
SAR 406 rear section 09 KUID2:81997:479:1

There is also other copies of this
SAR 406 front section 09 KUID2:81997:409:1
SAR 406 mid section 09 KUID2:81997:429:1
SAR 406 rear section 09 KUID2:81997:419:1

Then there are also pre 09 version

Fantastic work schaffer.

Thanks for the tips Jamie. Scratchy's road does look good, but the roads I'm using are my own creation, and my preference - the feldspar gravel edges match the roads as I remember them from my youth (and they don't cast annoying shadows). The Olympic Way was a 1956 Olympic project, and probably in a lot better nick in the sixties than it is today!

A google search returns quite a few photo's of the Bethungra spiral, and they do seem to show a lot more trees in general. I will work a few more in between the road and the railway, but I'm trying to not get to carried away with trees as they can be a performance drag if over used.

All good Phil. In regards to the trees, I've found the built in gum ones have really good LOD, and I only use a couple of different species to build up my forests on the Seymour Line. Doesn't seem to be much of a performance hit

Cheers
Jamie

unknown.png

unknown.png

Mike, the colour of the gums in your shots is a lot better than the cartoon like colouring of the standard speed trees. More like the colour of the old billboard trees. How do you manage that? I would be interested to check out your environment settings. Will you be uploading your Seymour Line route?

Last edited:
Page 2487 certainly is a stand-out.
Thanks everyone for the shots.

Jaimie:
I really like what you did with the bridge kitbash.
Thank you for all the info - I will give it a go.

I agree with Phil about the colours of your gum trees and hope you ca share the secret of how you get them looking so good.

By the way - is the blue power car you use on your V/Line passenger sets available?
Cheers
NickE

Great shots everyone, very high quality! Phil, your work on the Betungra Spiral looks very nice. A few more trees wont hurt framerates as the "Tree Eucalypt" series all call on the same library file. For gum groups I've also been using the new speedtree groups from the Orbost route.

Thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement, it means a lot. It seems I can't be without Trainz, my wife was asking me if I'd been taking grumpy pills. I have decided to keep going with Trainz as building in it truly does give enjoyment, or is it a fix for my trainz addiction. I'll try to limit myself to posting in the screenshots forums as it is a more friendly environment.
Anyway, a few shots between Boree Creek and Lockhart at noon with a grainy.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

cheers
Graeme

Hello from France,

amazing work Ryan , I love your diesel monsters, they are just perfect!!!

Very friendly, Marc

Phil, your work on the Betungra Spiral looks very nice. A few more trees wont hurt framerates as the "Tree Eucalypt" series all call on the same library file. For gum groups I've also been using the new speedtree groups from the Orbost route.

cheers
Graeme

That's good to know Graeme. And welcome back. There are a couple of spots in WeddinNSW that used to cause my old graphics a bit of grief. The stutters seem to correspond with areas with LOTS of gums. My new 3060ti doesn't seem to be phased by anything!

Great shots, as always.

Phil

Great shots everyone, very high quality! Phil, your work on the Betungra Spiral looks very nice. A few more trees wont hurt framerates as the "Tree Eucalypt" series all call on the same library file. For gum groups I've also been using the new speedtree groups from the Orbost route.

Thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement, it means a lot. It seems I can't be without Trainz, my wife was asking me if I'd been taking grumpy pills. I have decided to keep going with Trainz as building in it truly does give enjoyment, or is it a fix for my trainz addiction. I'll try to limit myself to posting in the screenshots forums as it is a more friendly environment.
Anyway, a few shots between Boree Creek and Lockhart at noon with a grainy.

cheers
Graeme

Great shots Graeme. It's great to see you where you are most comfortable. Welcome back!!
Cheers, Roy

Back