Australian screenshots

Nice video and Flickr photos Aaron and Graeme. You are doing a great job on this layout guys.

I look forward to seeing the finished article; which reminds me,... to get moving on my own route.

Cheers guys,
Roy

Taggy,
I really enjoyed the video. Your scenic effects are very convincing. It's always cool to visit another country virtually and see a convincing representation of how things actually look. Y'all have done a really great job on this. The finished product is going to be really amazing.

"Dave" has to be a really smooth driver, that's for sure. It that were me, I'd have launched that Mountain Dew can off the dash on my first acceleration, spilling it and shorting out the controls, then having hell to pay with the dispatcher for violating company rules. :hehe: Is the cab editable? I prefer Orange Coke - Mountain Dew has waaaay too much caffeine. Then again, that might be why driver Dave was speeding a few times, haha.

There was only one accident, when Dave had to "Mad Max" that stupid driver off the crossing. It's good to see drivers are consistently stupid all over the Trainz World.

The video was really well done and I think I have a very good feel for what the run actually looks like in real life. Great Job! :Y:

Heinrich505

Thanks guys. :)

Yeah, every now and then I get a crossing that glitches and stops the traffic on the wrong side of the boom gate.
Dave was being driven in DCC, so thats why there were a few overspeeds. Thats ok though, he has a 6% grace in speed before a naughty boy summons. lol

Two more videos to come showing more of the map.

Nice video Aaron, Loved the work so far mate.

As a followup on Scratchy's post iv also got a couple other roads coming to DLS and also some road markings to suit the needs of aussie roads.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-29-12-54-24-90.png

<kuid:804089:100287> AUS Road Rural Highway 4e
<kuid2:804089:100385:1> AUS Road Rural Highway 6a
<kuid:804089:100289> AUS Road Rural Highway 5b
<kuid:804089:100080> Aus Road Rural Highway Bridge 1a
<kuid2:804089:100384:1> AUS Road Rural Highway 6b
<kuid:804089:100388> NSW RM Left Turn
<kuid:804089:100390> NSW RM Right Turn

They Should be available in the next 24 hours.

Cheers, Ryan.

While we are at it! .....

I also recently uploaded a set of roads, typical of those seen in rural NSW in the '60s and '70s. Some are based (with permission) on clam1952's 'CL Road 5.3m' roads, with reskinned verges and asphalt to fit the area I am modelling (thanks Malc). A couple are based on old Auran content. These I have simply updated to build 4.4 config files, with shadows set off. I have NV3's permission to upload the updates. Finally I have also uploaded a revised version of asset 'djbdirtroadNT' <kuid2:55396:37001:1> by Don Bush.

The main feature of all these roads (and the reason I created them) is that they do not cast shadows. They are all ground hugging, with the spline height set to ground height + 0.1, as this works best for me. They are 'no-traffic' roads, as befits their intended rural use. Where I want to see traffic on them I simply attach a (hidden) stub of road that has traffic enabled. The light gravel verge is designed to merge with Trainz V1 texture 'yellow grass', which I have always thought looked more like a feldspar based gravel.

Weddin-Roads.jpg

You will find them all with names commencing 'Weddin road'...

Weddin road - 1L bitumen <kuid:56603:100630>
Weddin road - 1L dirt track <kuid:56603:100619>,
Weddin road - 2L, 1 light gravel verge <kuid:56603:100632>
Weddin road - 2L, 2 dark gravel verges <kuid:56603:100605>
Weddin road - 2L, 2 light gravel verges <kuid:56603:100633>
Weddin road - 2L, no verges, for intersection <kuid:56603:100585>
Weddin road - 2L unmarked bitumen <kuid:56603:100639>

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron, I enjoyed your videos, particularly the Stanwell Park one. You and Graeme have put some tremendous work into this route. I do have to say though that I found the track 'foreshortening' in the video a little weird looking (by this I mean the way the track detail jumps into view only 100 metres or so in front of the cab). This is no reflection on your work. Do you mind me asking what video card and Trainz version these are from?

I am really looking forward to the opportunity to be able to run this route myself. Do you have any plans for a 'Episode 1' release? I would love to able to do the run to Stanwell Park, and swap between cameras, and check my progress in mapview.

Finally, sorry if this is a bit forward, but if you guys would upload a preview to the DLS it would be so much better than teaser Youtube videos.

Last edited:
Taggy,
I'm really enjoying the videos. They are showing off your progress very nicely. I really get a sense of having traveled a bit of distance during your videos. It's evident that a lot of hard work is going into your route. Putting up all the catenary has to be a beast. I've only done it for small areas, but your route is huge.

Your scenicking effects are very convincing. I didn't see a single semi-transparent tree during the video. Your progress really looks nice. Great job!

Heinrich505

Hi folks,

Here is an update on the 2800. Not much left to do meshwise. On the home stretch! Items left to do is Animation paraphernalia, Mapping, get it in game and Skins, Maybe even a makeshift custom cab. ;)

unknown.png

unknown.png

Hi Phil

Thanks for the kind words mate. Unfortunately thats the track that does that not the game as both Graeme and I have this problem. trouble is, its the track I wanted use and I set the catenary up with initially so changing it will cause issues with clearances and having to redo the wiring again.
At this stage no preview will uploaded before release, because we are always working on it. Whatever was uploaded would soon become obsolete.
Graeme's hard work on the scenery looks absolutely magic and I'm very lucky to be working with such talent.

Heinrich, thanks mate. The map will be roughly 140kms long when its finished. It starts in the outer suburban of Sydney called Sutherland and head down the coastline to Bomaderry, Port Kembla and up the ranges to Moss Vale. The scenery changes a lot throughout the map as it passes through a National Park, along beaches and up one Australia's steepest grades.
The wiring is a total pain the you know what but it looks so good when its done. I actually really hate doing it because it has to be perfect to satisfy my OCD. haha

I will try and be patient. Its like waiting for Christmas as a kid :)
Hmm, might be cutting it a bit fine for Christmas. Mind you at the rate I'm going, who knows? The section from Geringong to Oak Flats is now fully textured, the issue with the tunnels is solved and I'm currently doing fences and powerlines before I hit the trees and grass, most probably tomorrow. After that, just a bit of extra detail and hopefully done with that section by the weekend. Motoring along. :D
cheers
Graeme

Back