Australian screenshots

Seeing that screenshot, I think i'm your friend again james :D

No, but seriously. The way you put it like "disgusting" etc. was not nice. That was rude. And it's not disgusting as mainy NSW branch lines have tight yards like the way it is in branch line 2c.

So make up for it and post more screenies eh?

Haha. Ok. I admit it was a bit rude of me. It wasn't directed at Natvander, or anybody else - personally. 'Disgusting' just felt like the perfect word to describe them (the points/turnouts) at the time.

Flathog: I just did a little research on the grades in NSW. The steepest grades along the Main Western Line (which passes through Orange) are 1in33, and are also the steepest Mainline Grades in NSW.

The steepest Branchline grades were along the Camden Line (via Maitland) which were 1in20, but only for very short stints. The majority of steep grades were limited to 1in25.

To give you an example of what you can run on a 1in20 grade; in the steam era a train named the Camden Tram could only consist of a 20 Class tank engine, a FO suburban car and a CCA car (converted FO). This was the limit of the load on this line.

Once a year an 8 car set would be pulled to Camden for a festival, but would need three 30 Class tank engines to get it there, and only get it there very slowly.

In modern times grades are not so much of an issue for suburban electric lines because trains are only short with big power and low mass. But in places like Orange, the passing loops are reduced from 2km to 1.8km, which makes it an obvious point (to me) that grades aren't an issue.

Note: Passing loops are/were made longer in areas with steep undulations for safety.

Last edited:
I realise the 1 in 15 grade is EXTREMELY steep (actually the Camden branch is (1 in 19:p)
And remember that 8 car train took 5 attempts:eek:

And the fact the grades are so long around here was so that train could pass without needing to stop and therefore improving efficiency:cool:

IMHO Branchline2c is VERY realistic in the way is has been made and constructed and what it may lack in scenery due to the lack of great custom content back in the day it makes up in what MANY routes lack which in my opinion is the most important thing, REALISM...

Tom
________
aromed vaporizers

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but this is back 'OT'.

5909 shunting some BWH's at the Flour Mill on my new exhibition style layout, Hamilton. 5909 hasn't had it's hook coupler replaced yet, so it is using the local shunter's S Truck as a coupler converter.

clipboard03wb8.png

clipboard04ra7.png

clipboard05in3.png

This is a labor of a whole day. Est 1km track, 1 junction, 1 flour mill, too many blades of grass and weed. But I'm happy. At this rate it will be finished for Christmas. :hehe:

Very nice screenshots james. Will this be one of those massive layouts or just a nice sized medium/large one?

Post more screenies please. Very nice use of the weeds and overgrowth and track choice. Makes me feel like i'm really there.

Show us more ;)

At the moment the plan is a continuous running style exhibition layout, much like you'd see at a model railway exhibition.

I'm basing the running style on a 1960's/1970's Victorian layout called Loch by and old friend, Keith Truman.

If anyone is a regular subscriber to the AMRM you'll find it was the feature layout a few years back.

The idea is to get a high detailed layout for beautiful screen shots.

Running wont be all that exciting as the current plan consists of only 7 junctions (15 if you include the fiddle yard behind the scenes).

Love it. That's great stuff James. More pics please.
Here's a request. How about an 80's scene. 48 class candy shunting in the siding with some wagons? And can you make a link to a wallpaper sized screenshot for me? 1280 X 1024!
What era is your layout set in? Mid 90's? Or present? :)

Candy 48 with a Steam Engine passing:p

Tom

That would be pushing it, unless I made it 3801 and 3830 on the 'Western Endeavor'. :D

Next up I was actually thinking about 'W44 Concentrate'. I have the twin garratts, the standard goods, the 49 class, the pair of 44's and the 46's... but I don't have any CG or G wagons :(

Anyone know of any being made?

Dimi_108: A wallpaper that size would be difficult for me. For some reason my monitor/graphics card don't configure well at anything higher than 1024/768 or Trainz. But I will see what I can do, I might be able to crack it just right.

What era is your layout set in? Mid 90's? Or present?
It can be whatever you want it to be ;)

Last edited:
I never run it on anything less. I don't need to. Even to my surprise, I can run the Toronto layout on full without any slowdowns or glitchy freezes. :)
Wow. Nice. What are your comp specs? PM me if you like. I need to upgrade my system and i want a system that can handle trainz with no slowdowns or glitches on the massive layouts :eek:

Last edited:
Wow. Nice. What are your comp specs? PM me if you like. I need to upgrade my system and i want a system that can handle trainz with no slowdowns or glitches on the massive layouts :eek:

Get ready to empty your wallet.

Intel P4 Quad Core 4Ghz
2x 256mb PCI-E 7300GT Graphics Card (Running parallel on SLI)
2GB DDR2 Ram
2x 320GB HDD

I'm also running Trainz on 'NoCD' to cut out the slowdown of loading from the DVD.

Take your pick from these:

sra48hamiltonfl0.png

sra48hamilton2ja1.png

:clap: WOW!!!!! Superb!!!!! Those wallpaper screenshots are great!!!!!

Thanks heaps. Are you able to run trainz smoothly on 1280 X 1024?
Make more shots like that can you? From the siding loading at the mill? And maybe with a rail motor passing through or something?

Don't mean to be annoying just waiting to get my new system so I can put the new version of trainz on and I miss it at the moment. Haha so your screenies are helping me

Are you able to run trainz smoothly on 1280 X 1024?

Not as well as in 1024x768. It has a few minor slowdowns when loading from the cache, but after 3 seconds its smooth again. Also my monitor is only a 19 inch, so when running in 1280x1024 I find it a little difficult to read things because it's so small.

It also annoys me because it doesn't wrap fit to the screen, so it feels like you're always running in windowed mode.

Its already being done by S301

I also have an updated version which I have passed onto a few people in the BETA stage but have recently lost due to a computer crash.

Tom
________
Yamaha Libero (G5) history

Last edited:
Yeah, I've done most of the work already. Mostly just need to finalise some things, and finish converting some trees. I will take some of your comments into consideration, where possible.
Zec

Back