Australian screenshots

Hi Nat,

Thanks for Dave's pub kuid.
My Dodo server account updates on 28th, & I have 35Mb left on peak time!
Eeeek!.
I downloaded 700Mb between 6 & 7am this morning (off-peak time), thinking I still had way over 100Mb left in peak time. (10Gb plan!!!)
So either I stay up waiting for that magic moment when it goes 'off peak'
(1am??), or I just go to bed & leave the PC turned off, except between 5am & 7am, for forages into the denizens of all-things 'goody', to do with Trainz etc.

:':)':):)confused::mop::mop::mop:

You guys do such a great job making these models!! I dont know how you do it!

Am i possibly the most eager, excited and the one who's constantly on the edge of my seat waiting for some good Melbourne Suburban content to be magically created by one of you guys? :D There's so much great V/ and VR stuff / wagons etc around i'm suuure it wont be long until someone delves into them head first... and then possibly into trams too? who knows.. bylands would be easy to re-create! ..

Also, i havent seen it mentioned here yet but has anyone downloaded the Queenscliff - Lakers Siding route on the DLS? I was quite impressed with it- although the track texture needs changing and the bushes down the lakers siding end are a little 'too much'..! :eek:

Ps> Tom i'm still waiting on a confirmation email from the victrainz forums too...!

Your account should have been activated. Les_421 and myself are the admins there. We are having problems with spam bots, so accounts have to be activated manually. :(

Zec

What is wrong with me tonight!!!??:confused::hehe:

ge55.jpg

The above loco's are from BHP Steel Works in Newcastle.

Believe it or not they were NARROW GAUGE:eek:, or at least pulled narrow-gauge carriages, or something of the like, never quite understood the system, but 2 are still in service on the Standard Gauge working for Manildra Group as MM03 and MM04.

That's all I know about them :p

Also, great work on the 44's, I'm actually surprised at how close the Auran 44 is, although, the CWS 44 looks alot "crisper", as for the pass. carriages behind the 44, they are something which we can never have to much of, would go great behind AD602000's C38:D

Tom
________
Toyota Avensis history

Last edited:
Hey Nat, Screenies look fantastic! Is the Angle Parking one of your models or is it available on the DLS?

Thanks,

Matt

just a bit of background on the centre cabs.

the locos were built by Goninan & Co from the 1960's. The first five #37-41 were built to service the 915mm gauge railway network. The rest, except for #56 (which was also built for the 915mm narrow gauge), were built to service the steelworks standard gauge track. The narrow gauge units were all withdrawn in 1991, but about seven survived in service until the steelworks closed.

As has been mentioned, two are in service with Manildra (48 and 51), plus #58 with Heggies Bulk Haulage, 49 & 50 went to Loonganna Lime in WA. 42, 43 and 54 are stored at the RVRM, 53 is undergoing an overhaul at the RVRM, 47 and 52 are stored at Dorrigo, 55 and 57 are in service at the Junee Railway Workshops.

The above loco's are from BHP Steel Works in Newcastle.

Believe it or not they were NARROW GAUGE:eek:, or at least pulled narrow-gauge carriages, or something of the like, never quite understood the system, but 2 are still in service on the Standard Gauge working for Manildra Group as MM03 and MM04.

That's all I know about them :p

Tom

Yep, they are BHP Newcastle Steelworks loco's. There where narrow gauge and standard gauge versions. The narrow gauge where used exclusively on the ingot line, where they cast steel ingots into molds mounted on special ingot buggies/cars which where coupled in trains of 8 or so. They where then transported to the Bloom Mill via the narrow gauge where the ingots where rolled into billets. The standard gauge serviced the rest of the plant.
If I live long enough I hope to model the steelworks...how daunting is that!!!

When trs 2006 came out a lot of people had trouble with the 60 class. I have rebuilt it from scratch and it just went for it's first run. All I need now is a victim to try it in 06 when its ready, still a few details to add and cleaning up the configs.

This probably never happened, but it looks good and shows how big these monsters were.

A wheatie near Broken Hill somewhere:D

Cheers
pete

bhilljo9.jpg

g2dq7.jpg

Last edited:
adding to my earlier post, a good source of reference about the former Newcastle Steelworks is an article by Leon Oberg in Australian Diesel Scene 5 published by Eveleigh Press. It has a diagram of the track layout of the steelworks plus other interesting details about the diesel locos that worked on the site. Those who have read the article will know what i mean.

David, the steelworks in trainz would be a daunting task, one that I would not be able to achieve myself but would love to see something like that in the future. Also, the oher diesels that worked in the steelworks, I would've sent you plans and the like, except I have not come across any. A mate of mine hasn't been able to track any down either, and I think (not 100% sure on this) he worked at Goninans (or knew people who did) years ago.

Last edited:
Pete, I could give it some testing etc in 06.

PGibbons, any pics or updates on how your southern highlands route is going?

Laidley update

There is a new IGA supermarket opening up soon near YOU.

igacentreyr7.jpg

This shows where it belongs in the bigger scheme of things.

igatownud7.jpg

Great screenshots from all.

Regarding a layout of the Newcastle steel works that would be a nice project, I used to work there in the rolling mills many moons ago.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Bill.

A shot from me:
VRTsWC.jpg

Recently Radio Equipped T370 and another T wait at Wattle Creek Station on a Grain Train. It's 5 in the morning and poring down with rain so the crew decided to go and grab a cup of coffee (Which they had radioed in for to the station master about 10 minutes before arriving). :hehe:

Cheers,
Tom :)

Pete, as I recall, double garretts worked an ore concentrate train from broken hill. I can't remember the number, but it was usually one loco as far as orange (?) where a second garrett was put on.

Back