Australian screenshots

Hi ya mate,

I've sent you a PM with some information.

Cheers,
Roy

Hello Roy, I would like to query the layout size of your Sydney Route.

How big is it covering which area of NSW?

And also, what is the long term goal/objective in terms of the route distance and size/scale of the area? Will it cover all of Australia?

All of Australia? Do you know all of NSW would cover more than all of Europe! You'd need a the biggest computer in the universe to handle that, Australia is as big as the whole of the USA. You'd get lost back of Burke :D

Rhinelander,

Roy's route covers the inner Sydney network only. This is a massive amount of detail though and includes Sydney Harbour around the city environs. If you are familiar with the Sydney network the route covers from Redfern through Central and then the City Circle Line and the line towards Bondi and across the Harbour Bridge to North Sydney. It is highly detailed and as you can see from these screenshots is being "upgrade" to a 1950's era version as well.

To do the whole of Australia might be a bit much, it would required probably about 30,000 - 40 000 km of track (very rough guess). Roy's route probably covers about 50km of track but as it is in a city the level of detail required is so intense that he has probably spent several years developing it. I am sure he will jump in and clarify further but I thought I would give a quick heads up in the meantime.

Hello Roy, I would like to query the layout size of your Sydney Route.

How big is it covering which area of NSW?

And also, what is the long term goal/objective in terms of the route distance and size/scale of the area? Will it cover all of Australia?

Whoa !!!

I can see you are interested in statistics; and luckily I'm a percentage person.

Maybe I should clarify a few matters just to get everything about my route into perspective.

Firstly, as my route is called 'Sydney Central & Sydney Harbour', so,... it is confined to just that. It is Sydney, NSW. It doesn't cover NSW or the whole of Australia.

Why was it limited?

Well, I came from Sydney; I've loved and used the Sydney transport system all my working life; around Central Station and the Harbour is where all the action is, so I also like taking photos of this activity. I built the route initially just to do that. I then added varying sessions to make it more interesting.

The route is 70 baseboards in total, and not all in the same direction. It's pretty much to scale; but in some areas I've used 'authors licence' to modify it the way I'd like it to be.

How long did it take to build?

Well, the first version took me two years but it was very basic. The latest version took me the same time, but it was much more detailed.

Because I'm 80 years of age, I don't think it would be prudent for me to expand it, because I may not be around to see it finished and then enjoy it.

I really like to work within my limitations, so this is why I'm now working on an earlier era (the 1950s) of the same layout. However, it will be a whole lot different to the current version.

If you'd like a copy of my route, then send me your email address via the Forum PM (personal message).

Cheers,
Roy

Hi all I haven’t played trainz in a long time I was seeing if TRS2019 would be worth getting and would there be any Australian content like QR or Sydney Trains etc cheers

Hi all I haven’t played trainz in a long time I was seeing if TRS2019 would be worth getting and would there be any Australian content like QR or Sydney Trains etc cheers

The 'Australian Screenshots' thread has been showing the difference between TRS2019 and all previous versions lately.

Personally, I recommend the latest version, however it all depends on your computer, RAM and video driver.

Can I suggest you check this thread https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...equirements-info-page&highlight=TRS2019+specs
to see what suits your situation.

If you have a 'high-end' computer, then I'd go for TRS2019.

Cheers,
Roy

A couple more shots just north of Caboolture:

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

No worries I did have some old QR content from Trainz12 and wanted to move it to TRS19 or will there be plenty of up to date content on Content Manager on TRS19 if I got it?

No worries I did have some old QR content from Trainz12 and wanted to move it to TRS19 or will there be plenty of up to date content on Content Manager on TRS19 if I got it?

TRS19 being new has a substantial number of assets for it to run, however the collection of assets that was available for TANE and TS12 can be easily downloaded from the DLS if you need them.

I have routes dating back years from various versions of Trainz, which can be uploaded into TRS19. Occasionally, an odd one or two may become obsolete, but they can be replaced with a similar asset or deleted.

It's your choice.

Cheers,
Roy

The PB15 in my previous screenshot is brand new for TRS19. Other than that there is no QR content I am aware of that is currently being created for TRS19. Plenty of new hq QR content that is being created for TANE. Anything built for TANE will work fine in TRS19. The main difference in content that is built for TRS19 is PBR which improves lighting reflection. Of course if you get TRS19 than everything works in it. No Trs19 content will be backwards compatible

Hi Forest_Runner,

Those QR locos you see aren't available yet. They are still getting modified and detailed so when they do come out, they'll look mint. I'm not too sure how long it will take to release them as the person who is making them prides themselves on high quality, and well made assets.

I have also been working in a 2250 class.

Cheers, Dylan.

Thanks Dylan. Much appreciated.

Whoa !!!

I can see you are interested in statistics; and luckily I'm a percentage person.

Maybe I should clarify a few matters just to get everything about my route into perspective.

Firstly, as my route is called 'Sydney Central & Sydney Harbour', so,... it is confined to just that. It is Sydney, NSW. It doesn't cover NSW or the whole of Australia.

Why was it limited?

Well, I came from Sydney; I've loved and used the Sydney transport system all my working life; around Central Station and the Harbour is where all the action is, so I also like taking photos of this activity. I built the route initially just to do that. I then added varying sessions to make it more interesting.

The route is 70 baseboards in total, and not all in the same direction. It's pretty much to scale; but in some areas I've used 'authors licence' to modify it the way I'd like it to be.

How long did it take to build?

Well, the first version took me two years but it was very basic. The latest version took me the same time, but it was much more detailed.

Because I'm 80 years of age, I don't think it would be prudent for me to expand it, because I may not be around to see it finished and then enjoy it.

I really like to work within my limitations, so this is why I'm now working on an earlier era (the 1950s) of the same layout. However, it will be a whole lot different to the current version.

If you'd like a copy of my route, then send me your email address via the Forum PM (personal message).

Cheers,
Roy

Thanks Alikiwi and MarkNolan for the replies too

I am wondering Roy, what methods you attempt to use to expedite the process of building, techniques to quickly determine where buildings and roads, light posts and stations, along with tracks are to be positioned to the correct position as the real world.

Also, reading your post, did you have to incorporate other routes designed by other people to bring it together? I am not sure what you mean by seeking permission from others.

Thanks Alikiwi and MarkNolan for the replies too

I am wondering Roy, what methods you attempt to use to expedite the process of building, techniques to quickly determine where buildings and roads, light posts and stations, along with tracks are to be positioned to the correct position as the real world.

Also, reading your post, did you have to incorporate other routes designed by other people to bring it together? I am not sure what you mean by seeking permission from others.

Hi rheinlander,

In answer to your first paragraph,.... "When I first started with Trainz, I knew nothing about it"

How did I learn about it?

That was easy. I read the manual, the Trainz-wiki, every thread on the Forum, checked YouTube for Trainz Tutorials, but of course it is even easier now because Trainz have Video Tutorials. See this link,... http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Tutorial_Videos there are 43 of them at the last count.

Once you have that behind you, you should have enough tools and information to create your own routes and even start modelling.

How quickly? That depends on how fast you can read or watch videos.

But, if you want to create routes that you can enjoy,... then take your time. If you make a mistake, don't give up, fix it or scrap it and do it all again. Some routes have taken me years to build. Of course you get better at it as time rolls on by.

A tip: When you download other peoples routes, look for assets that you haven't seen before, scroll your mouse over them and write down in a notebook the name of the asset. You may want to use that in your route at a later date.

Determine accurate positioning 'as in the real world' ? Well, I'm sad to say that because 'Trainz is not the real world', this gives me an opportunity to position things just where I like. I'm the author of my own route. However I do use Google Earth Pro to highlight current and obsolete train and tram tracks.

In answer to your second paragraph,.... "No, I didn't incorporate other peoples routes to create mine"

In my first reply to your queries, I did previously mention, that I spent most of my life in Sydney. So that gives me some insight into what I wanted to include in my route.

Seeking Permission ? If someone designs and creates a specific model, they have a choice whether to upload that asset to the DLS (Down-load-station) or not. So, if it has NOT been made public on the DLS, then they own it! If I wanted to use that persons asset for my route, it is common decency and courtesy to first 'ask permission' from that author if you could use it. It's always wise to respect their wishes.

If you cannot gain their permission, then It's about time to learn modelling skills and create the asset yourself.

I hope this has clarified a few things for you.

Cheers, Roy

Last edited:
Hi rheinlander,

In answer to your first paragraph,.... "When I first started with Trainz, I knew nothing about it"

How did I learn about it?

That was easy. I read the manual, the Trainz-wiki, every thread on the Forum, checked YouTube for Trainz Tutorials, but of course it is even easier now because Trainz have Video Tutorials. See this link,... http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Tutorial_Videos there are 43 of them at the last count.

Once you have that behind you, you should have enough tools and information to create your own routes and even start modelling.

How quickly? That depends on how fast you can read or watch videos.

But, if you want to create routes that you can enjoy,... then take your time. If you make a mistake, don't give up, fix it or scrap it and do it all again. Some routes have taken me years to build. Of course you get better at it as time rolls on by.

A tip: When you download other peoples routes, look for assets that you haven't seen before, scroll your mouse over them and write down in a notebook the name of the asset. You may want to use that in your route at a later date.

Determine accurate positioning 'as in the real world' ? Well, I'm sad to say that because 'Trainz is not the real world', this gives me an opportunity to position things just where I like. I'm the author of my own route. However I do use Google Earth Pro to highlight current and obsolete train and tram tracks.

In answer to your second paragraph,.... "No, I didn't incorporate other peoples routes to create mine"

In my first reply to your queries, I did previously mention, that I spent most of my life in Sydney. So that gives me some insight into what I wanted to include in my route.

Seeking Permission ? If someone designs and creates a specific model, they have a choice whether to upload that asset to the DLS (Down-load-station) or not. So, if it has NOT been made public on the DLS, then they own it! If I wanted to use that persons asset for my route, it is common decency and courtesy to first 'ask permission' from that author if you could use it. It's always wise to respect their wishes.

If you cannot gain their permission, then It's about time to learn modelling skills and create the asset yourself.

I hope this has clarified a few things for you.

Cheers, Roy

I see, in terms of 'authors licence' I wasn't sure if you meant merging other routes or inserting other assets.

It would be interesting to see your route.

I am following your screenshots and am wondering if there are methods and techniques you would like from me that I have developed myself to help maximize your efficiency. I have been working on this complexity and think I may have found a way to set up realistic calculations that will account for the 'unrealistic flat baseboard' system of trainz and in turn allow a realistic construction and simulation to be possible.

Also, have you modeled procedural tracks into your route? I think I have just been able to I believe solve a hideous problem, but it doesn't give all the answers just yet. I am wondering if you like my procedural tracks too, they are of broad gauge, but I can also clone them and thus set up standard gauge arrangements into them as well.

I am following your screenshots and am wondering if there are methods and techniques you would like from me that I have developed myself to help maximize your efficiency. I have been working on this complexity and think I may have found a way to set up realistic calculations that will account for the 'unrealistic flat baseboard' system of trainz and in turn allow a realistic construction and simulation to be possible.

Also, have you modeled procedural tracks into your route? I think I have just been able to I believe solve a hideous problem, but it doesn't give all the answers just yet. I am wondering if you like my procedural tracks too, they are of broad gauge, but I can also clone them and thus set up standard gauge arrangements into them as well.

You've got me guessing now, as to what methods and techniques you have developed, that will maximize 'my' efficiency. I thought, after all the years of experience and knowledge that I've gained, I consider that I am fairly quite efficient, which is enough for me.

I should point out that I don't require an engineering degree to 'play trains'. To me this is just a hobby where I can put together my creative skills for a little enjoyment.

And don't worry about supplying procedural tracks for me, because elstoko tracks which have just been released, tick all the boxes and are fine with me.

If I do require anything at all, I'll put my hand up mate.

In the meantime, I'll look forward to your on-going screenshots of your work, as you solve this 'hideous problem' which is puzzling you.

More progress on the N class, substantial amount of work has been done since it was last shown here.
Also working on A, B and S classes, along side other streamliners such as the GM, CLP and 42 classes.

65pwQvj.png

Cheers, Stefan

Last edited:
Back