Australian screenshots

Trying to locate photo images of Redfern Station through the ages, is like finding a needle in a haystack; OR,.. pushing a full load of coal up a gradient far too steep in wet slippery conditions and without sand.

There are plenty of present day images, which show the workmanship was certainly lacking when they decided to 'renovate' the station. The station was actually damaged by fire in 2004 and the ticket office windows were bricked up to prevent vandalism. Since then most of the exterior has also been altered and physically changed from the original, as shown in this image dated 1920s.

redfern-station-1920.jpg

How it ever became a heritage listed building in that condition on 26th June 2009 is anybody's guess. I really hate to see good architecture ruined and in particular, one of the oldest train stations built.

I've searched old heritage archives, Trove, and even YouTube for one nice photo, without success.

I'm now wondering whether any Trainz guys out there, may have a street view photo image of Redfern Station taken around the 1950-1960 era, that I could use.

Otherwise I may have to use "modeller's licence" and create my own version.

Cheers,
Roy

No i don't Roy but im sure someone here in the forum would have,, What about Pete or bear USER { NSWGR_46CLASS }
Sorry can't help apart from that,,

No i don't Roy but im sure someone here in the forum would have,, What about Pete or bear USER { NSWGR_46CLASS }
Sorry can't help apart from that,,

Thanks Steve,

I've also contacted the Redfern Historical Society to see if they have something that may help.

In the meantime, I've begun an initial model based on my memories of Redfern Station, when I first started work back in the early 50s.
Stage-1-Redfern.jpg

This will be the Booking Office and central section of the building, which had Queen Anne style windows and doorways. To be added on either side, there were 'U' shaped waiting rooms equipped with fireplaces, as well as, separate toilet washrooms for men and women. When all that is done, I'll pitch the roof.

Cheers,
Roy

Roy, try the Australian Railway Historical Society, NSW Branch, they have a great range of historical photos.

Macka

Thanks Macka, Yes, they do. I've already looked through all their listed photos, then posted a query on their site with two, 'no luck' responses today.

I'll be patient,... from the other members, someone may have just one.

It's amazing, even among the thousands of photos listed by the National Archives Office, I came up empty-handed as well.

Cheers mate,
Roy

I agree that sand is required under those conditions, as I have experienced them myself on occasion. In particular, a nasty night, cold and the first heavy rain for weeks with eucalyptus oil dripping onto the tracks on a 1 in 50 grade and just over 400 tons behind us between Orbost and Nowa Nowa. The sanders were useless as the sand was wet, so we stalled. Guess who had to get out in the rain and fill my billy with wet sand and walk in front of the engine spreading it on the tracks. I've also had a full load and a sick third engine on a multiple unit and stalled in dry weather with the sanders working flat out. In the steam days, bank engines were commonly used for short distances up steep grades.
Even my 2 1/2 year old grandson would agree that with the artistic license involved, Thomas the tank engine does not come close to simulating real world situations, however well they try to represent it. Trainz however, uses mostly accurate models to simulate real life train physics and somewhat accurate real world environments. As a route builder, all I am aiming for is accurate trackwork and gradients and an impression of real world scenery, but naturally in some situations artistic license is required due to limitations in either Trainz or my skill. If you want 100% prototypical, then go ride on a train. :)
cheers
Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Some of the Thomas and Friends real life events for example the story super rescue was based in a real life event where a steam engine was helping down a pair of broken down diesels.
And the narrow gauge railway are based off on real life narrow gauge railways like the Tallyflynn(not sure how that one was spelled), the ravenglass and eskdale railway and the Snowden Mountain Railway and parts of the Ffestiniog Railway in the UK. Seems like your grandson is into this context.
All Thomas and friends locomotives are based off on real life locomotives too.

You certainly did cop a huge drench at the time of your experience, it must’ve given you a hard time on that day.
What type of loco you’re handling at the time?

Regards,
Lspdyiu

My best friend told me most of this(in relation to T&F).

Last edited:
Sset terminating at Bremer after a long morning service from Karrah Bay to Bremer.

i'm also posting this because it's the last day of the SSets being in service :(

cheers,

T

sset.png

i'm also posting this because it's the last day of the SSets being in service :(

cheers,

T

Hi Thomas912,

You mean the silver sets that were on the last day of operation service in Sydney? I guess RailCorp or TfNSW is still ordering the 24 remaining Waratah 2 series trains and soon as time hits the end mark they’ll eventually take it off the line, replacing with brand new Waratah trains. Like I said, the silver sets currently still would remain in service and RailCorp says that those old trains run raggedly till they can’t run at all.
Despite their lack of air conditioning, S Set trains are described what’s called as, “sweat sets”. On summer seasons, as weather gets humid or if it is a cold winter and you’re riding in those old fashioned trains you’ll probably be sweating the seats or get copped in the cold if you’re not fully rugged up with suitable clothing. Along with other silver set fleets, trains
like the C or K Sets fitted with air conditioning, would they still take it off the line?

Or retain them for preservation and tour purposes like the historical steam locos (eg: 3642) and the single decker Red Set F1.

Alternatively, these can probably be converted into housing or something like that. They have 3 decks and be able to store lot of people if converted into an apartment or something.

Lspdyiu

Last edited:
Add to the sand list when idiots decied to have what they think is fun and put oil on the Puffing Billy Tracks at Selby, Loco runs out of sand trying to get through and you end up on the front of the loco poring sand on the tracks to help the poor little NA loco.

Tom

I know that the Ksets and Csets would still be in service and have aircon, I posted it because the last SSet serice was on friday night. I believe the ssets are still going to be used for ak and preservation

SSet about to depart Wollongong heading to Port Kembla, I'm loving Memeboy's new SSet

Thomas912,

That’s good that you’re liking the new Memeboy’s S Set train. One thing I’ve picked up from that shot is the track spline, is that a fault?

I’m also looking forward to downloading the new S Set train to add into my trainz route later on.

Regards,
Lspdyiu

SSet about to depart Wollongong heading to Port Kembla, I'm loving Memeboy's new SSet

Glad you enjoy the "new" S sets

Btw if anyone is able to assist, I've made a new account (gonna be perfectly honest I hate my username of this account since I made it when I was 12) with the username ElectroCo but I can't seem to reply or post to any forums, would anyone be able to provide assistance to this? Thanks

Hey guys, something from me.

Stefan, that is amazing videoing of the grainy. Question, is this achieved using a webcam tool to record as well as compilation as it did show the next preview in the same video. I guess that lapping tool is good use in video compilation allowing it to skip the scenes and focus on critical aspects too. Very tranquil landscape of the outback too.

The Track spline was an unkown asset (Faulty) so I can't fix it, I'm loving the SSet indeed, Thanks for the great feedback mate! :)

T

Thomas912,

You could delete the faulty track and then always go with the other track types that doesn’t appear to be a fault and maybe stick with the preferred choosing although I would recommend going with “procedurally designed track”, because they’re made to work and fit in with procedural animated junctions, that way it doesn’t look too unrealistic and ugly with one track lapping over the other forming an embedment if track levels or track grades don’t match the right value of the gradient or when there’s no animating switch rails in which that they’re glitched a rail on another. Use Samplaires tracks (they come in as procedural) on the DLS (only if you have Trs19) otherwise they won’t work in Tane cos of compatibility issues. Also, it can’t be backward compatible on older Trainz series. To use those procedurally made tracks made by Samplaire you must first have Trs19 installed on your computer.

Regards,
Lspdyiu

sw.png

Hey Thomas, I notice that you are running the NSW Illawarra - Southern Highlands route; and it has some missing assets. Have you upgraded to Version 4.5 TANE 01 ? If so, the track that was used was <kuid2:61119:38124:2> NSW YML Timber 2.5m as shown in my shot. It's not procedural track but looks fine on this route.
Port-Kembla-bound.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

Back