Australian screenshots

At the request of a user I have posted below some screenshots showing the use of dirt textures in place of dirt road splines.

Dirt-road-texture-instead-of-using-road-spline.-Example-1.jpg

Dirt-road-texture-instead-of-using-road-spline.-Example-2.jpg

Dirt-road-texture-instead-of-using-road-spline.-Example-3.jpg

The technique is not without its issues - in the second image above there is some "bleeding" of the dirt texture at the far end of the road just before the small shed. There are also issues in getting a straight edge to the texture road particularly when the road is not parallel with the grid lines. But I now prefer to use dirt textures over dirt road splines in my layouts.

Nice work Pware worst comes to worst you could still use a spline in places along that dirt road that simulates a beaten up old two wheel track especially where it goe's thru paddocks like in your second pic to accentuate the track a bit more i spose. I take it this is in TRS2019 ?. I ask as sum of FSP's built in textures didn't come out that well in route's i've transfered from Tane.
Cheers Mick.

At the request of a user I have posted below some screenshots showing the use of dirt textures in place of dirt road splines.

The technique is not without its issues - in the second image above there is some "bleeding" of the dirt texture at the far end of the road just before the small shed. There are also issues in getting a straight edge to the texture road particularly when the road is not parallel with the grid lines. But I now prefer to use dirt textures over dirt road splines in my layouts.

A pretty good effort pware. I know what it's like, I've been playing around with textures also instead of using road splines, but in a city/suburban environment instead.

We've got to remember that nothing in nature is at 90 degrees or in a perfect straight line. Buildings and structures are.

What I've found for country settings is to use 'a 3 colour palette' to create a natural image, but showing that a road is actually there.

First place your dirt road texture colour down, then pick a lighter dirt or gravel colour to edge both sides of the dirt road. Then pick a dark green to edge both sides again. This highlights it.
Whatever greenery you might add for the countryside, won't conflict but will blend in.

It just takes a lot of practice and fiddling with the 'texture direction' ... 'scale'.. & ... 'radius'

If you do want to add some traffic in good viewing areas, use an invisible car spline for that section.

Good luck,
Cheers mate,
Roy

Thanks Roy.

It was certainly not an easy process with a lot of trial and error involved. I like your suggestion of the two dirt colours with one for the edging. I will give that a try on my current TRS2006 to TANE/TRS19 conversion project.

Peter

Sorry for taking thread off topic, but one last question for Roy and Pete: do you use a 5m or 10m grid ?

Hi Phil,

Only once did I use the 5m grid (TS2010) and at the time, I didn't see much advantage over the 10m grid. So I've stuck with 10m ever since.

I did a small test in TRS19, but again I can't get the terrain to bend at the 5m mark.

Cheers mate,
Roy

5M is hugely advantageous with embankments and cuttings. Rotated textures look much better with 5m baseboards. But, I only recommend it on baseboards track runs on.

2018-12-27_225517.jpg

Busy morning at Julago. 6J62 with higher priority passes 6M48 that has to cross tracks to get onto the Isa Line, as a short 87P2 departed PN's Toll north depot

Great shots everyone. Just a few after bringing Patchy's Mt Isa route into TRS19
Heading south out of the Isa
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

cheers
Graeme

Last edited:

A final screenshot for 2018 from me. Back to TANE because the computer wont handle the release build of 19.

A busy afternoon at Thirroul as peak hour trains make their stops.

Happy New Year everyone. :)

A final screenshot for 2018 from me. Back to TANE because the computer wont handle the release build of 19.

A busy afternoon at Thirroul as peak hour trains make their stops.

Happy New Year everyone. :)

A beautiful screenshot Aaron. When I see a railway station detailed basically with exactly what you'd see in real life, as you've done mate; or a landscape layout with the right balance of colour such as what Graeme can produce (great stuff); then I begin to question myself, as to how much detail I should incorporate into my own layouts. Have I been putting in too much. I have focused on street fronts and looked for typical Aussie shops; then knocked up models of them.

I dunno, I must be getting old. For the past week I've been attempting to embed tram lines into about 20 different road splines, then ripped them up, to use texture surfaces instead.

Sydney does not give you a flat surface to work on and so track spline heights vary considerably with road spline heights, and then they create shadows where you don't want them. Intersections need a flat area for road splines to attach - not adjustable, so they become inappropriate in a number of areas. Why hasn't someone created adjustable intersections for hilly surfaces?

Road splines do provide a 'quick' finished article with footpaths and road markings in place, whereas using textures, although they are more flexible and look better, require more time and effort to get the exact width of the road to suit all the extras such as paths, catenary poles and telegraph poles, etc.

I think I've just about answered my own questions. I've always worked on the basis,... Complete what you are doing - If it doesn't look right - Do it again. I'd better get started, lol.

Here's a few shots along Military Road Neutral Bay, where I used to work part-time as drink waiter at the Music Hall Theatre Restaurant way back in the 50s.
2018-12-31-120251.jpg

This section I've used a Boulevard spline and a B-R intersection. Tram tracks embedded are fairly easy on flat surfaces.
2018-12-31-120339.jpg

The 'Cop Shop' handy for any disturbances going on across the road. On Google Earth today, all has gone and been replaced.
2018-12-31-120509.jpg

2018-12-31-120539.jpg

Neutral Bay Junction, Wycombe Road tram stop.
2018-12-31-120816.jpg

This was the tricky part. A steep hill leading up from the wharf, then making a right turn. up another hill at a T intersection. This means a texture for all hilly areas.
2018-12-31-120904.jpg

Another area using a texture and a road marking spline is at George St Nth where the road widens. Textures allow lots of flexibility.

Best wishes guys and a Happy New Year.
Cheers,
Roy

Great work every one, James released a nice little pressie today in the Model Railroad Section of the Forum https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ule-for-Model-Railroadz&p=1725942#post1725942 Hope it is ok to post it here also James this one is too good not to share.
It was made in Tane but i put it straight into TRS2019 nothing missing nothing faulty it is an absolute ripper. A couple of pic's from it below.
All the best to every one in here i hope you have a safe and Happy New Year.....Time to get on the turps for me.
2018-12-31-163352.jpg

2018-12-31-163433.jpg

Cheers Mick.:wave:

Back