Australian screenshots

It's been a bit quiet around the Aussie thread lately. Ahh,.. that's right, the footy season is about to commence.

Blender is still causing me some problems even with tutorials - I just wish it was simpler to use.

So today, using Sketchup I knocked up a set of platform stairs, suitable for an elevated station. Sure, I know the polys are a little high but at least it's usable.

2018-03-08_164441.jpg

2018-03-08_171315.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

Hey Everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone new of a good 3'6" / standard dual gauge track?

Here's two,...

<kuid:35412:38068> MB dual gauge track 3 6<kuid2:72882:1093:2> QR_dual_gauge_10m

Trying to make satisfactory looking turnouts may cause a problem.

Cheers,
Roy

Roy.
The stairs are spot-on - none of the others on the DLS seem to fit our stations.
Hope you might release the stairs.
The other thing we are still missing is an Australian covered walkover with stairs and lifts.
Someone a few years back started one that looked really good (I think from a Sydney station) - but it never eventuated.
Just a thought.
Love your enthusiasm - and your achievements. Manly Wharf is something you should be really proud of.
Best wishes.
NickE

It's been a bit quiet around the Aussie thread lately. Ahh,.. that's right, the footy season is about to commence.

That's not why it's quiet Roy. The numbers will continue to drop because not everyone can afford a gaming computer to keep up with TANE demands and it is going to get worse, so we just enjoy TS12 in the background. No one on here is interested in screenshots from there so we don't bother.
Your work is awesome mate, you (And Graeme for that matter) can be very proud of what you have achieved.
Cheers and take care mate.

Roy.
The stairs are spot-on - none of the others on the DLS seem to fit our stations.
Hope you might release the stairs.
The other thing we are still missing is an Australian covered walkover with stairs and lifts.
Someone a few years back started one that looked really good (I think from a Sydney station) - but it never eventuated.
Just a thought.
Love your enthusiasm - and your achievements. Manly Wharf is something you should be really proud of.
Best wishes.
NickE

Thanks Nick for the nice comments.

Just to put you in the picture.

What I'm doing in Sketchup are just 'test-assets' and are not really suitable for uploading to the DLS.

As an example, the Platform Stairs are over 24MB in size which is huge; Manly Wharf is 58MB, and by comparison, the Maritime Museum only happens to be 9MB. A lot depends on how many single items are needed to make up the model and how many textures are added. They are suitable for a small diorama layout if taking screenshots.

But we're into trains and I can make do with the assets that are available.

However, I'd like to make similar assets, but with a program that doesn't overshoot the mark on file-size, and most importantly, one which I can understand. I know I've got to go through that learning process first and that's a drag. Why they make these programs so complex, I really don't know.

Cheers,
Roy

That's not why it's quiet Roy. The numbers will continue to drop because not everyone can afford a gaming computer to keep up with TANE demands and it is going to get worse, so we just enjoy TS12 in the background. No one on here is interested in screenshots from there so we don't bother.
Your work is awesome mate, you (And Graeme for that matter) can be very proud of what you have achieved.
Cheers and take care mate.

Thanks Ozz for your fine comments.

I know Graeme and I, do appreciate it.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying TS12 - I also have some favorite routes in TS12 that work just right, and it's great to go for a run on them now and again.

Look after yourself mate.
Cheers,
Roy

Thanks for the kind words Baz and Roy! Very much appreciated.

Cobram in the early morning mist, 6AM railcar to Strathmerton
2018-03-09_165302.jpg

Early morning around Tottenham
2018-03-09_211128.jpg

2018-03-09_211207.jpg

2018-03-09_212043.jpg

2018-03-09_212218.jpg

cheers
Graeme

Nice screenshots Graeme and David. Beautiful work.

A little more research on dropping polys in Sketchup today, and I found some interesting 'add-ons' that helps to keep them somewhat under control.

As an example, my Platform Stairs model a couple of days ago, showed up with 9300 polys and 24MB on my content manager.

With the 'add-ons' I was able to reduce the polys to 5800 (approx 40%) but it still shows 22MB on content manager. I would have thought the file size would have dropped by a similar percentage.

Anyway, the modified stairs,...

2018-03-10_014632.jpg

2018-03-10_014556.jpg

Ill keep working on it.
Cheers,
Roy

Quite good for Sketchup.

If you want to fiddle around, you could also try and export in FBX so it works with 'Next' but it looks good for when you go on Blender / 3DSMax..

Quite good for Sketchup.

If you want to fiddle around, you could also try and export in FBX so it works with 'Next' but it looks good for when you go on Blender / 3DSMax..

Thanks Matthew, I may just try that.

I've modified a few assets that were on my Sydney route, mainly to see how they would look.
In this shot the Anzac Bridge is a little more noticeable, I've changed the textures on the Pyrmont Bridge and the Maritime Museum has been re-scaled and is in place. The Google Office is also there but nearly camouflaged by residential wharf housing.

2018-03-10_112247.jpg

The Queen Mary ll berthed near Bangaroo
2018-03-10_112420.jpg

A Balmain East photographer picked up the Queen Mary ll docking at 7:20am.
2018-03-10_112615.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement Jamie.
Nice shot David.
Roy, the assets you are making really set off your harbour scenes.

10:24am no.7 Pass ex Seymour, where it was split after its journey from Melbourne. The front half departed for Albury at 1015 while here we see the rear half passing through Mangalore on its way to Tocumwal.
2018-03-10_141446.jpg

2018-03-10_141602.jpg

cheers
Graeme

Hey Roy

With all this modelling you are doing, you may want to recreate Sydney with a DEM Map. I'm in no way suggesting your work isn't good enough but if you wanted a truly accurate map, a DEM is the way to go. You will find Memeboy has done multiple types of Sydney Tram gear modeled to his usual high standards on his website which could also help bring your current maps to life as well. He was working on the Monorail as well but I don't think it was released.
I love what you are doing with your new Modelling skills, its very impressive!
One last thing, I'm always glad to see the majestic QM2 in Sydney however I fear there is now a suspicious looking funnel shaped hole in our beloved Sydney Harbour Bridge!! :) hahaha

A few more details and this Westrail XY narrow gauge hopper will be ready for UV mapping (shudder). 12 months since I exported my first mesh into Trainz, feel like I've learnt a lot since then.

Top pic's Graeme, that's really a nice setting and thank you for the support on my attempt at modelling. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks Aaron for your inspiration as well. Some time way back, I had thought of building a more accurate Sydney layout, but at the time, I used Google Earth as my guide instead of a DEM Map. Then I took some shortcuts and applied authors-license to finish up with what I've now got. It would be a big job starting from scratch again, but I could probably do it much quicker now.

I've already been using Memeboys trams, but only on a short loop to Central. And now, the mono-rail is no more,... memeboy must have had a whisper that it wasn't going to be permanent. lol.

I'm glad you have feelings for QM2, and fortunately, I can assure you, no damage was caused to her squeezing under the bridge. lol :eek:

Cheers,
Roy

Back