Australian screenshots

Nice work everyone, it's always great to see Aussie creations. Keep it up guys.

What am I saying! I've been idle for quite a while now!

Anyway, over the past few days, I've begun extending my 1950s Sydney route out to the 'Heads' and to include Manly Wharf for the Ferry session.

Extending around the harbour will be somewhat pain-staking, however I'll find a way.

Here's a shot of the Manly Wharf so far.

Cheers,
Roy

Another great iconic and original building model from Roy. As a country boy in the big city I always loved catching the Manly ferry! And (more recently) I have eaten in the restaurant/bistro in your model (RHS).

Last edited:
Thanks Phil, it's always captured my imagination too even though I did live on the Northern Beaches as a teenager and travelled to work on the ferry every day.

I've got to find a way to reduce the high poly counts on this particular model. It's over 60,000 polys and 47MB just for this model alone and nearly as much as the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

And from the poster, you can guess who I support in the NRL.

Capture-manly-wharf-2.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

What a massive amount of work I should think! So I'm guessing you're making a proper Sydney Harbour bridge which will also be great. I've seen some odd solutions to that one elsewhere, but I did see a close cousin, a think a Staten Island bridge. Always nice work that you all produce.

Meanwhile very early stages of a new route, Townsville 1940s.

Townsville%2C-New-Route-circa-1940s%2C-WIP..jpg

What a massive amount of work I should think! So I'm guessing you're making a proper Sydney Harbour bridge which will also be great. I've seen some odd solutions to that one elsewhere, but I did see a close cousin, a think a Staten Island bridge. Always nice work that you all produce.

Meanwhile very early stages of a new route, Townsville 1940s.

Don't guess mate! The Sydney Harbour Bridge has already been created by Steve123 and it's great. I really can't improve on perfection there.

Capture-SHB.jpg

The Sydney Opera House is gone and the Fort Macquarie Tram Depot has been installed in its place. The old docks still need some attention but I'll get back to that after the harbour layout is complete..

Good luck with your new Townsville 1940s route.

Cheers,
Roy

Fantastic screen shots Roy. The Manly Terminal looks awesome and the tram depot looks great too!
Great to have you back and cant wait to see more - great work

Thanks for the comments - I appreciate any feedback.

For anyone interested, I've been doing a few basic graphic tests using jpg and png textures to see how it impacts on Trainz using Sketchup.

I'd taken identical screenshots and saved them in both jpg and png format. Then imported each as a building.

Now both images displayed in TANE look identical and both show 16 polys. However the jpg asset impacts 1.8MB whilst the png asset impacts 50% more at 2.7MB. Both are quite large for something basic.
capture-test-graphic-1.jpg

Then when I recessed a balcony by just 3 metres, the poly count jumped up to 36 polys on each and the asset impact remained the same,... 1.8MB for jpg format and 2.7MB for png format.
Capture-test-graphic-2.jpg

The best photographic format is TIFF which gives the sharpest and purest image, however it carries 10 times more asset impact than jpg format.

So it would appear wise to avoid using PNG and TIFF format as a texture in Trainz.

Cheers,
Roy

Nice work Roy and i certainly wont hold it against you just because you follow the eagles mate.
5M7kXGd
2020-07-11-145954.jpg

And testing a newish point motor and drain pit kind of thing just near it as well.
2020-07-11-150109.jpg

2020-07-11-150213.jpg

Cheers Mick.:)

That's kind of you Mick, no doubt you are an AFL fan and I also won't hold that against you either.

Nice work on the point motor and drain, mate. All these things are essential and just make Trainz a great hobby. Keep up the great work.

Cheers Roy:cool:

Nice shots Roy, nice to see Queen Elizabeth making a stop over in Sydney. Where did you get the models of those beautiful ocean liners?

Mick, that point motor looks fantastic. Ill be changing all the motor on the South Coast map over to these when you release them. Do you need a sound for them or have you got it already?

Thanks fella's bit above my paygrade trying to include a sound with it Taggy so I doubt that'll happen, No afl for me Roy money has wrecked both games now far as I'm concerned mate but each to his own.
Cheers Mick.

Nice shots everyone. Mick those point motors look great!

Heres some shots of the recent scenery around Towrang/Goulburn Area.
Desktop-Screenshot-2020-07-10-12-58-21-80.png

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-07-09-23-33-29-63.png

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-07-09-23-35-00-07.png

Cheers, Ryan.

Last edited:
Gee those ore containers look very similar to the ones I made I'll have to check those out. They are identical to the ones I made so who was it from that website who gave permission to release them ?.
Cheers Mick.

Last edited:
You did. March 30th 2018. If you’d like them removed let us know.

Those point motors look great Mick.

ATD was given permission to release them on the website Jamie that doesn't mean the mesh or map should of been handed out to every one, It also didn't mean permission to upload to the dls without so much as a credit given to the actual original creator, Change the name of the original creator in the config or yeah you can take them off. Permission for this content does not imply permission for anything else ATD/Austrainz has of mine to be released without at the very least asking first.
Cheers Mick.

Very nice shots Mick, Alikiwi and Ryan. Great to see you back and building again Roy, nice shots too!

Just a few shots around Dapto, which isn't quite finished yet.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

cheers
Graeme

Nice shots Roy, nice to see Queen Elizabeth making a stop over in Sydney. Where did you get the models of those beautiful ocean liners?

Mick, that point motor looks fantastic. Ill be changing all the motor on the South Coast map over to these when you release them. Do you need a sound for them or have you got it already?

Thanks Aaron,

By the way, it's not the Queen Elizabeth mate, but it is <kuid:381430:2562> RMS Queen Mary by jayholland which is also available on the DLS. There are in fact a number of good looking ships on the DLS, it just takes ages to locate them all.

Cheers mate,
Roy

ATD was given permission to release them on the website Jamie that doesn't mean the mesh or map should of been handed out to every one, It also didn't mean permission to upload to the dls without so much as a credit given to the actual original creator, Change the name of the original creator in the config or yeah you can take them off. Permission for this content does not imply permission for anything else ATD/Austrainz has of mine to be released without at the very least asking first.
Cheers Mick.

Sorry about the drama Mick, i will have it updated to give you full credit of the mesh. Didnt mean to cause anything, sorry mate.

Cheers, Ryan.

Don't guess mate! The Sydney Harbour Bridge has already been created by Steve123 and it's great. I really can't improve on perfection there.

Capture-SHB.jpg

The Sydney Opera House is gone and the Fort Macquarie Tram Depot has been installed in its place. The old docks still need some attention but I'll get back to that after the harbour layout is complete..

Good luck with your new Townsville 1940s route.

Cheers,
Roy

Too funny. I saw someone say how the Queen Elizabeth ship looked great in Sydney harbour before seeing this post! I scratched my head as I have a shot for the Townsville thumbnail, with harbour and... Queen Mary! Snap lol
Looking good there obviously, nice to see a realistic Sydney Harbour.

Back