Australian screenshots

Peter,

That sounds cracking; I am tempted when I get is to put her through her paces by placing a fully loaded 8 carriage Evans Set as it was in peak hour on Brisbane Northside.

I have just revised my engine specifications for the DD17 as I have recieved new information from John Knowles regarding the engines. The engine congif was originally based on detailed hand notes given to me by Brian O'Sullivan aka Sully when he was driving DD17 1051 on the QR 145th Train from Ipswich To Grandchester in 2010. After hours of reading John Knowles awesome book "Queensland Railways - Steam Locomotives; Design & Operation 1865 to 1969" I think I have a winning and realistic formular.

If you want I can send it onto you to have a test.

Regards

Michael Gitsham

Today I took Boobless_ed's DD17 for a test run and it was just as powerful as the BB18.25 on a test track I have with a standard load that I use for QR steamers, which is to be expected as it is Greg Cash's BB18.25 engine file. Up to 55MPH on a relatively long flat section over a few miles therefore impressive. Test track also included a fairly steep section and OK there too, of course!

In the real world the DD17 and the B17, B18.25 and BB18.25 were rated for the same loads although the DD17 needs tanks and bunker at least one third full for sufficient adhesion. On the Ipswich line with its 1/75 gradients the DD17 was rated with a full goods load [not passenger load] of 445 tons. Passenger loads were a bit less for stop start station trips and express trains at passenger speeds. The DD17 boiler was smaller than the BB18.25 to allow water and coal to be carried on the one frame and thus their power potential less.

Real world loads for DD17, B17, B18.25 and BB18.25 were;
1 in 40 was 225 tons , 1 in 80 was 475 tons , 1 in 120 was 710 tons and max of 850 tons but needed special latest version high strength drawgear fitted wagons as usual screw couplings limited maximum train loads to 650 tons for many years especially pre 1958. Loads etc mostly copied from this book P.200 and 263 http://railshop.com.au/prod27.htm

I have just revised my engine specifications for the DD17 as I have recieved new information from John Knowles regarding the engines. After hours of reading John Knowles awesome book "Queensland Railways - Steam Locomotives; Design & Operation 1865 to 1969" I think I have a winning and realistic formular.
Michael Gitsham

Hi Michael, glad to see you mentioned the same book I mentioned earlier in my post above and I noted via the link I supplied ie, the Loads etc mostly copied from this book P.200 and 263 http://railshop.com.au/prod27.htm

Anyone who wants John Knowles additions to his book, including extra DD17 data, can read the extra data online at http://freespace.virgin.net/johnk.pb15/qrsl3.html

and while there read the rest of his website as it will be a great guide for your trainz QR work.

If people want to know Brisbane steam era loco performance than you will not be surprised to see the name of the author of the following ARHS Bulletin available on the DVDs.

Sep 1985 (Vol 36 No. 575)The speed of Brisbane electric suburban trains (Knowles, J. W.)
This article compares the speed of Brisbane's suburban electric services (largely all stops) with diesel and steam hauled services and with a selection of train services elsewhere. The performance is explained in terms of the characteristics of the electric trains, the track and operating conditions. 5 photos. Contribution from JG Beckhaus appears in Bn 579, Jan 1986, p 24 and reply from the writer appears in Bn 584, Jun 1986, p 141.
page: 203-209

Find more of John's Bulletin articles here via an author search http://www.nswrail.net/search/bulletin.php

Last edited:
Sorry its been a long day but when you guys talk about a BB18.25 do you mean a BB18 1/4.
where did the BB18 1/4 class number come form ????

NSWGR_46Class,

Just did a quick Google and found a site that gave this info. Quote
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"The unusual class designation 'BB18 1/4' comes from the QGR practice of describing 'B' for 6-coupled engine, 'BB' etc for improved design, and the class number (18 1/4) from the cylinder diameter in inches. Similarly, 'A' denotes 4 coupled wheels, 'C' denotes 8 coupled wheels, and 'D' denotes a tank locomotive! Beyer-Garratt articulated locomotives (like 402) were too hard to classify; they were simply known as 'Garratts'! " end Quote.

No doubt someone with far superior knowledge will come up with somnething more detailed. Hope this helps till then.
Regards
Glen
[/FONT]​

From The Chief Mechanical Engineer - Railway Workshops, Ipswich, Qld

Mate,

The classification BB18 1/4 means the following in Queensland Government Railways terms;

The current steam locomotive classification method was adopted in 1889. Letters are used to identify the number of coupled wheels followed by numerals indicating the cylinder diameter in inches.
A, Four coupled; B, Six coupled; C, Eight coupled; D, Tank Locomotives.

These would be usually seen on the front buffer beam on the right hand side, the left hand side denoted the shed code.

For the case of the BB18 - It was a 1949 redesign of the very successful 1926 built B18 1/4 locomotives and the cylinders; are 18 1/4 inches in diamater.

The numbering of the entire 55 class members began in batches from two makers;

#1011 to 1045 - Vulcan Foundry, England

#1070 to 1089 - Walkers Limited Of Maryborough

More can be read about the class here; http://www.qrig.org/motive-power/locomotives/steam/bb18-class

Aswell as general introduction of Steam Locomotives In Queensland; http://www.qrig.org/motive-power/locomotives/steam/qr-steam-locomotives-introductory-notes

Kindest Regards

Michael Gitsham
QHR Commissioner For Railways
Sorry its been a long day but when you guys talk about a BB18.25 do you mean a BB18 1/4.

Yes as Glen has noted. Sorry for the original confusion as I was not sure how some type faces or fonts handle the BB18 1/4 so I used the 18.25 style. I have seen some people try the quarter fraction bit using the 1 over the 4 and it did not work out. It seems the 1 forward slash 4 works well instead.

Anyway, the QR loco classification system has been the subject of very long articles in magazines so I prefer Glen's short and sweet version instead.

One thing about the screen shots is it keeps me up to date with what new material is available and they suggest ways I can use the material so thank you one and all :D

G'day! :wave:

Sorry for my absence, my computer was being repaired, and I have snagged a job at SCT Logistics in Penfield, training to drive locomotives.

I can't post anything because Photobucket seems to have gone haywire.

Cheers! :)

Jake.

A few days or more ago a nice little item appeared on my doorstep i would like to thank its creator for allowing me to be one of several testers of this item. Thanks Boobless Ed for the DD-17.
Here are a few shots of the DD-17 being put through its paces.

A Blue Baby with its suburban set sits beside a C-17 on a Ferny Grove shunt train.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A DD-17 pulls away from Wacol bound for Goodna with a Central to Goodna allstop service,

ITs days Numbered a run down neglected Bowen Hills greets a DD-17 as it guides its Ferny Grove bound service through the station.

DD-17 1047 guides its train into Keperra on the Ferny Grove Line.

Cheers

Ghosty

Last edited:
:( Sorry to read about that earthquake that just hit Victoria. Hope all on trainz escaped house damage!

Scott, I see you too have enjoyed Boobless Ed's DD17 most excellent loco as I noted above!!

@Scott, in the Central shot with the DD17, what tunnel portals do you use?

Now some Gympie North Screenshots - QR City Train

Texturing is slowing getting there, but she looks amazing. The B18 is now avaliable in 3ft 6in gauge so is the Sunshine Set that I am working on.
trainz89_20120620_0009.jpg

QR B18 771 & Sunshine Express Set Thunder Up The Eumindi Deviation
trainz89_20120620_0002.jpg

trainz89_20120620_0003.jpg

trainz89_20120620_0004.jpg

Thanks

Michael Gitsham
QHR Commissioner For Railways

Last edited:
@Vinny, you could also do the WH class with that version of the LDP. All you would have to do is remove the EDi logos and replace LDP with WH. I'm sure there might be a few more (if any) subtle differences between the two that other members of the community might know about but they are the two obvious ones. Also best wishes with your health :)

@Vinny, you could also do the WH class with that version of the LDP. All you would have to do is remove the EDi logos and replace LDP with WH. I'm sure there might be a few more (if any) subtle differences between the two that other members of the community might know about but they are the two obvious ones. Also best wishes with your health :)
he's going to do WHs after the EDi demos LDP001,002 plus EDi demo with QRN decals LDP003, then I think WHs will follow after the EDi livered demos are completed

hope this helps trainman3801

Last edited:
Some nice screen shots here.

Am I the only who has this happen?

g-1.png

VR, why you no like me? lol

Probably should've used a smaller image originally lol.

It gets to 99% for VR downloads, then just stops and won't go any further. It's only VR Items though.

Last edited:
Almost got the section between Wolli Creek and Kingsgrove done to a reasonable standard. I'll try do a drivers perspective video once I get it done a little more to show anyone interested what it looks like from that view. Would be cool to get a drivers perspective on how accurate I have done it. ;)

But for now, some screenshots from around Bexley North station.

eh-2012-06-21-[3].jpg

eh-2012-06-21-[4].jpg

eh-2012-06-21-[5].jpg

eh-2012-06-21-[7].jpg

Last edited:
Looking very nice deadly, especially the various forms of over head wiring & stanchions and the platform indicator board with mounting bracket. Looking forward for the video clip.

Almost got the section between Wolli Creek and Kingsgrove done to a reasonable standard. I'll try do a drivers perspective video once I get it done a little more to show anyone interested what it looks like from that view. Would be cool to get a drivers perspective on how accurate I have done it. ;)
But for now, some screenshots from around Bexley North station.

Deadly looks an absolute treat! Great stuff!

Back