Australian screenshots

Thanks for the info but I have switched to two more 44's since that shot as there stronger then the 42's

Intresting image but one glaring error it your looking for NSWGR correct procedures, if you had 2 42 class on the front of a train they were not allowed to be back to back. When 42's were running in pairs, alone or wth other loco's and coupled together they had to be elephant style.

2f79bba51655953a9ab18b45821a1475.jpg
The "Midnight Horror" mixed overnight train to Mackay rolls into The Caves.
502d6b5a2e5dc627471e2d2bd336c53d.jpg

Last edited:
Yes and no as in traction horse power it was only 1600hp (vs 1800) but in tractive effort the 42 wins hands down Continuous: 61,250 lbf (272.45 kN) at 9 mph (14 km/h)
the 44
Continuous: First 60, GE t/m: 47,100 lbf (209.51 kN) at 11.5 mph (18.5 km/h), First 60, AEI t/m: 40,500 lbf (180.15 kN) at 13.7 mph (22.0 km/h), Last 40: 44,000 lbf (195.72 kN) at 12.9 mph (20.8 km/h)

Thanks for the info but I have switched to two more 44's since that shot as there stronger then the 42's

Last edited:
Fair enough but im not running at slow speeds along my line the lowest is 20 mph through my 2 yards and the sheds

Yes and no as in traction horse power it was only 1600hp (vs 1800) but in tractive effort the 42 wins hands down Continuous: 61,250 lbf (272.45 kN) at 9 mph (14 km/h)
the 44
Continuous: First 60, GE t/m: 47,100 lbf (209.51 kN) at 11.5 mph (18.5 km/h), First 60, AEI t/m: 40,500 lbf (180.15 kN) at 13.7 mph (22.0 km/h), Last 40: 44,000 lbf (195.72 kN) at 12.9 mph (20.8 km/h)

Oh boy - now we are going to have to educate the poor lad about how its harder to get a train rolling than to keep it rolling and why you need more pulling power at lower speed, series and parallel transitions and then we will get into drifting steam locos and end being kept in class all day LOL
Then your coal trains aren't heavy enough.

i do know its harder to start and stop a train and i wont matter since i mite be getting a AD60 soon so that will replace the 44's since it was designed to take heavy trains and my coal train is a few cars short just to help the diesels since i had teething troubles when i was building the route and i drift steamers all the time when i drive
you cut the regulator to almost nothing while having the cutoff at around 50-40% depending on the speed of course and let is engine roll
thus saving steam pressure,water and coal since is engine isnt running hard it can build steam (if needed) it wont use water as fast and isnt so coal hungry
I will admit i have alot to learn still but i would say im going pretty good

Oh boy - now we are going to have to educate the poor lad about how its harder to get a train rolling than to keep it rolling and why you need more pulling power at lower speed, series and parallel transitions and then we will get into drifting steam locos and end being kept in class all day LOL

I was always under the impression that you leave a loco in full-forward when coasting (drifting) to allow the motion gear to run freely, and the regulator 'cracked' open to allow the hydrostatic lubricator to inject oil into the cylinders. I guess it must vary between loco designs.

Tim

Avoca 7:46AM Train 145 moves slowly along the loop line after entering Avoca Yard. Visible on the platform is the signal frame for Avoca. This controls the two signals that protect the yard. Signaling on the Fingal line was limited to down and up home signals at the 3 attended staff stations on the branch (Avoca, Fingal and St Marys) plus signals to protect the Cornwall colliery branch and wye at Cullenswood. There were no conventional signal boxes. Signals were operated by ground frames or open-air platform frames as shown here. Some points were operated by ground frames, but most were of the ball throw-over type.

At Stanhope coal loading dock. Train 145 has been divided with a 10 wagon section (plus guard van) left on the loop and the other 13 wagons moved onto the branch line (shown in the background). The locomotive has moved forward past the junction to the stockyard. The SWO is about to throw the point lever to allow the loco to move into the stockyard siding and then reverse to hook onto the loaded coal wagons (shown in the foreground) standing beneath the coal loading dock. The shunting operations will disassemble and distribute the empty wagons from train 145 and then assemble the loaded wagons for train 148.

Last edited:
Back