Australian screenshots

Hey Roy, looks to me like you are progressing really well with that modeling!!!!
Keep up the work. I might have a model too soon!!!!!
Wont say what it is at the moment though....

Thanks Bruce, I am progressing fairly well. When I get stumped, there are plenty of YouTube videos with an answer.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers mate,
Roy

VR T Class S2 Locomotives released, plus updates to other locos. Release post here: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...alian-Trainz-Division-New-Releases-24-02-2018

tcls2fleet.jpg

Fantastic work there in the 3D Modelling department Roy, there's no turning back now! :p

Well done Roy,,
Remember also Roy, when making assets in Sketchup always before rendering make sure you highlight every part of the component and right click mouse button and left click { Explode } ,,, it makes sure all surface textures are exposed to the rendering processes and they will not show up as a white color.
Regards Steve123

Well done Roy,,
Remember also Roy, when making assets in Sketchup always before rendering make sure you highlight every part of the component and right click mouse button and left click { Explode } ,,, it makes sure all surface textures are exposed to the rendering processes and they will not show up as a white color.
Regards Steve123

Thanks Steve. All tips are extremely appreciated. That's something I have noticed but wasn't sure how to rectify.

Cheers mate,
Roy

VR T Class S2 Locomotives released, plus updates to other locos. Release post here: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...alian-Trainz-Division-New-Releases-24-02-2018

Fantastic work there in the 3D Modelling department Roy, there's no turning back now! :p

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the kind support.

I spotted a couple of images of sandstone and bricks that I liked. So I put Manly Wharf aside for a day and tried my hand at the Campbell Cove Bond Stores down at 'The Rocks'.
It's fairly basic and an Architect degree wasn't necessary.

2018-02-25_215803.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

For anyone interested in a little piece of Aussie history, and for those who may have been around at that time,.. I've found a pic taken just before Christmas 1949 at the Eveleigh Workshop with Loco 3806 as a backdrop.

Loco_3806_at_Eveleigh_1949.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

I put a little more effort into Manly Wharf today. If I do get this finished, I'll probably need a harbour to put it in. I'll think about that later.

Capture_MANLY_WHARF_3.jpg

Ferry view
Capture_MANLY_WHARF_5.jpg

Front view from the western side.
Capture_MANLY_WHARF_4.jpg

Front view from the eastern side - even included the underground car park.

Nearly ready to float her.

Cheers,
Roy

Phew! Now Manly Wharf was a BIG Sketchup file, but it was uploaded into TANE without any problems. Because Manly is at the start of the harbour, I knocked up a quick baseboard, a small amount of scenery, added a backdrop of the Manly skyline, then ran two ferries in and out. No slowdown on my computer and the journey was not jerky.

I need to test it now to see whether it can be added to my Sydney route, which is already large; and still operate,... or even open the program.

2018-02-28_152858.jpg

2018-02-28_153609.jpg

Cheers,
Roy
PS: I made the backdrop from Sketchup too.

Might wanna check the poly count on it Roy...

I did check the 'poly-count' when RubyTMix was doing the sums for me, Jamie.

It gave me the usual warning, but I pushed on and it finally topped 71,000 polys - 44,600 for the model and 26,000 for the textures.

I really wanted to see for myself, whether the asset could be created in the first instance; and if it was placed into a route, how it would affect the general running in a session. I had no intention to upload it to the DLS at all. On opening TANE it loaded in a split second.

I could have made it simpler with a few boxes on a wharf, but then I'd have to add dozens of additional downloaded assets to make it look better. I've only added some DLS fencing splines to finish it off.

There's been a lot of hype over the past couple of years that poly counts have to be 'low' if you want to run Trainz. Well so far, (and I haven't fully detailed the scenery) there has not been any stuttering on any video clips I've taken. So that's a plus. Maybe that's because I've got a high-end gamer to work with.

If there is a better modelling tool (and it has to be easy to work with) that will provide high definition results and reduce the polys at the same time, then I'll have a go at it.

Cheers,
Roy

Wow Roy, you've done a great job! Well done mate.

Thanks Aaron, I appreciate your comments. I'ts not perfect by any means, but I wanted to see whether it's possible to add something with extremely high poly counts, like 'Manly Harbour', which would be at the far end of my Sydney layout, and still be operational.

If it doesn't function as I'd like, I'll go back to the drawing board and see what options I have.

Cheers mate.
Roy

Great job Roy, a few years ago there was a little up row from content creators about Sketchup and the poly count, so i add 8 Sydney Harbour Bridges and about 7 Central Rail building that i had built in sketchup and did a frame rate count as i ran the curser under the bridges and around the station and i got a frame rate of between 19 to 26 or so,,,, now what i did not tell people was that this was not a solo route it was added to my already Sydney to Gosford route,,,
Some people are not getting 26 frames without the bridge or central on there route,,, so then i throw a challenge out there to all other 3D program creators Guess what not one bit..

So while they continue to use door stops as computers they will always worry about frame rates,,, yes it is a concern but but if people don't want it just delete it or up grade your computer,,,
And just remember you can have a $1500 dollar video card in your computer but it will not change jack crap if your CPU IS BOTTLE NECKING,,,, YOUR COMPUTER IS ONLY AS GOOD AS IT'S WEAKEST COMPONENT

Trainz is CPU dependent so while the powers that be will not use the horse power that today's video cards offer and move into tomorrow, Crossfire and SLI I REMAIN USELESS for Trainz,, it would improve so much in the game it's a crying shame they had the chance,,,
Regards Steve

Great job Roy, a few years ago there was a little up row from content creators about Sketchup and the poly count, so i add 8 Sydney Harbour Bridges and about 7 Central Rail building that i had built in sketchup and did a frame rate count as i ran the curser under the bridges and around the station and i got a frame rate of between 19 to 26 or so,,,, now what i did not tell people was that this was not a solo route it was added to my already Sydney to Gosford route,,,
Some people are not getting 26 frames without the bridge or central on there route,,, so then i throw a challenge out there to all other 3D program creators Guess what not one bit..

So while they continue to use door stops as computers they will always worry about frame rates,,, yes it is a concern but but if people don't want it just delete it or up grade your computer,,,
And just remember you can have a $1500 dollar video card in your computer but it will not change jack crap if your CPU IS BOTTLE NECKING,,,, YOUR COMPUTER IS ONLY AS GOOD AS IT'S WEAKEST COMPONENT

Trainz is CPU dependent so while the powers that be will not use the horse power that today's video cards offer and move into tomorrow, Crossfire and SLI I REMAIN USELESS for Trainz,, it would improve so much in the game it's a crying shame they had the chance,,,
Regards Steve

Thanks for your support Steve.

When T:ANE was first announced, I very quickly realized that this game had much better graphics than previous versions, so I went about looking for not only a high-end graphics driver, but a computer to support it. Most desk-tops were just not up to the task. I found what I was looking for and bought it

I'm not getting any younger and before I leave this planet,... I wanted to enjoy my favourite hobby in the best possible way. (I certainly won't be playing trainz after I leave - nobody's found a way to do that yet). So, it was 'money well spent' for me.

I've now found Sketchup a relatively easy program to use, but learning something more difficult may use up 'time' which is precious to me.

At present, I've been searching for Sydney images taken from vessels around Sydney Harbour, to the 'ridge-line' or 'skyline' to be used as distant backdrops. (Maybe help to reduce some polys,...lol)

Cheers mate,

Roy

EDIT: Just as an after thought, today I saw a jetty on the DLS which had [FONT=&quot] "193668 polygons" [/FONT] and available to everyone. Who would worry if my wharf had only 70,000 polys.

Last edited:
Back