Australian screenshots

Thanks Graeme for the compliment! It does look like a bit like a hand colored photo, doesn't it? :hehe:

Here's another shot, in Warwick:

Great shots everyone! :)

Makes a lot of sense Roy. Have encountered a few issues but so far not requiring major surgery. Currently running as per your suggestion. I didn't like the catenary used in the initial Blue Mountains Line [nmbs] so replaced the lot with a UK version [UK Double/Single Pylon by snowsignal] which has greater accuracy with track laying and spline connecting, but took a long time to complete, as you can imagine on this route. As you say repetition and patience a requirement.

Kinda thought I would have completed this v2 by now, but am a long way from that. Even so the pleasure when things start to work and fall in place is worth the grief haha.

Thanks for your suggestions and support.

Val.

XR559-XR555 with T408 and 40 loaded grain hoppers in tow head for the port...
485ea3c8a6ad91dc157a2827d5eb7688.jpg

Makes a lot of sense Roy. Have encountered a few issues but so far not requiring major surgery. Currently running as per your suggestion. I didn't like the catenary used in the initial Blue Mountains Line [nmbs] so replaced the lot with a UK version [UK Double/Single Pylon by snowsignal] which has greater accuracy with track laying and spline connecting, but took a long time to complete, as you can imagine on this route. As you say repetition and patience a requirement.

Kinda thought I would have completed this v2 by now, but am a long way from that. Even so the pleasure when things start to work and fall in place is worth the grief haha.

Thanks for your suggestions and support.

Val.

Hey mate, I hope this does not cause any major surgery for you.

Some time ago, I too was looking for the simplest way to fix catenary heights with rails for NSW electrics. I had tried snowsignal's UK pylons as well, but to match the consists, it was necessary to raise the pylon height +0.40 overall. This particular asset has two 'posts' which stick up from the ground through the rails and can be seen in Driver mode at every set of pylons. Also the pylons float above the ground level, which means the terrain would need to be raised as well. Although the standard height is okay for British rail, I found this a little distracting, particularly when I had tried to make the overall look as normal as possible. So I opted for Davido's catenary sets instead. It is much more time-consuming to lay but it makes me happy with what I see.

Anyway, it is your route and your decision mate.
2017-08-18_134514.jpg

(The screenshot shows catenary at correct height, but black posts appear and pylons float above ground level)

Cheers,
Roy

PS: Wouldn't it would be nice if some kind person was able to create a catenary and posts, set at the correct NSW height, which actually attached to whatever rail you choose to use.

PS: Wouldn't it would be nice if some kind person was able to create a catenary and posts, set at the correct NSW height, which actually attached to whatever rail you choose to use.

If someone were to get me some drawings, I reckon I'd be able to do that.

I'm thinking like the AJS Tram catenary, where the wires are part of the track spline, and the posts are track objects.

I might even be able to do it as procedural track, using those NSWGR libraries.

If someone were to get me some drawings, I reckon I'd be able to do that.

I'm thinking like the AJS Tram catenary, where the wires are part of the track spline, and the posts are track objects.

I might even be able to do it as procedural track, using those NSWGR libraries.

Hi Rex,

That would be great if it's at all possible. I've had a look at <kuid:122285:1203> Track Cat-64 Reserved 8m, which has a single wire attached and allows track object posts to be added wherever you like.

Davido had created <kuid:60723:1268> NSW Catenary Wire 09 , which has a support cable strung 48m between each <kuid:60723:1266> NSW 2 Track Catenary Gantry 09 . For these to match the wire, it has to be lowered -0.35 at each spline connection then centred to the drop post. With all of that, davido's assets are the most realistic.

I don't have any specifications for these, but I'm sure there are plenty of NSW rail enthusiasts who may happen to know this. Can anyone offer any ideas?

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the two catenary.

d83fad475fa98510f3149d92d517431f.jpg

Above: Track Cat-64 Reserved 8m Below: NSW Catenary Wire 09 (lowered -0.35)
5a55f7e4c7ba739e8af80c8a1cdc05e9.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

PS: Hostenpost.org are back up again.

Hi everyone,
...Of late I have found it hard to find time to put into Trainz. Here are some old screenshots that I found on my HDD, figured I'd post some to fill in the gap until I'll be posting again...

17a5c55c21cd2c970c40bbcf2c27c2a2.jpg
64358f66f6530502e55f42b31255b517.png

Stay safe everyone,
Cheers, Stefan.

Hey mate, I hope this does not cause any major surgery for you.

Some time ago, I too was looking for the simplest way to fix catenary heights with rails for NSW electrics. I had tried snowsignal's UK pylons as well, but to match the consists, it was necessary to raise the pylon height +0.40 overall. This particular asset has two 'posts' which stick up from the ground through the rails and can be seen in Driver mode at every set of pylons. Also the pylons float above the ground level, which means the terrain would need to be raised as well. Although the standard height is okay for British rail, I found this a little distracting, particularly when I had tried to make the overall look as normal as possible. So I opted for Davido's catenary sets instead. It is much more time-consuming to lay but it makes me happy with what I see.

Anyway, it is your route and your decision mate.
2017-08-18_134514.jpg

(The screenshot shows catenary at correct height, but black posts appear and pylons float above ground level)

Cheers,
Roy

Roy, your comment made me take a closer look at this UK catenary, but I did not see the fault as you have indicated. Checked a few different spots but none seemed to 'float'. Not sure if its been updated since you tried but all seems ok to me. How does it look to you?

20 mins later...Correction....I now see what you mean. The pantograph rises above the catenary power line and connects with the supporting wire above, right? So to correct that the pylon posts will need raising, thus the pylons will float correct? ..... Damn.

e159c7248a0294327eb6df4b1360ae71.jpg

Last edited:
Roy, your comment made me take a closer look at this UK catenary, but I did not see the fault as you have indicated. Checked a few different spots but none seemed to 'float'. Not sure if its been updated since you tried but all seems ok to me. How does it look to you?

e159c7248a0294327eb6df4b1360ae71.jpg

Hi Val, I had shadows turned on when I took that shot, so it would pick up anything that wasn't level with the terrain.

Your screenshot shows the catenary posts are at ground level, so the little posts that protruded through the rails on my shot, are actually below ground level. However I notice that the catenary wire above, happens to be set way below the pantograph extended height. If the wire level is raised to meet it, then what I had in my screenshot will appear.

lol ,... all of these problems we have in Trainz,... it might not have happened if the NSW Government had stuck with single-decker trains.

Cheers mate,
Roy

Hello,

Really enjoying the screenshots people are posting, awesome stuff.

I would like to share with everyone some progress screenshots from my Wallerawang MR layout. It's built in HO Scale and is intended to replicate the same layout that was originally built by the Guildford Model Railway Group . The layout size is 6.5 metres by 2.7 metres.

Wallerawang is a small township located 14Km's West of Lithgow on the Main Western Line at the junction of the Gwabegar line to Mudgee and beyond.

My layout is depicted in it's heyday centered around the transition from Steam to Diesel in the mid 60's to 70's. Some of the real Wallerawang layout can be seen in the video below to help illustrate what I was trying to achieve with my build.

Cheers,
Sharpey.

Main Operator area - This area is mainly non-scenic as this side of the display is usually closed off to the public. 14 Roads are at the operators disposal for running trains through Wallerawang which is located on the opposite side of the backdrop.

uOa4Xv3

uOa4Xv3.jpg

Endeavour service from Mudgee arriving at the back platform at Wallerawang. This service should be operated by a 700 class but they don't currently function in TANE. To the left of the Endeavour a V/Line G Class works the Down service through Wallerawang to Blayney container terminal. Behind the Endeavour a 73 class can be seen at the Goods shed on shunting duties.

9kkEgMA.jpg

The Down Dubbo XPT turning the corner for Wallerawang while the Mudgee Mail train sits idle at Wallerawang P1.

oBKAZN1.jpg

The Down Central West Express passes the up Mudgee Mail Train.

0UfoM9O.jpg

One for Roy- 4814 and 4899 combine to haul a Down goods under the timber roadbridge and West out of Wallerawang. 8212 and 8226 slowly bring their loaded coal train off the Mudgee branch and onto the Up Main.

VLQrDnh.jpg

The Up Indian Pacific from Perth led by NR25 rounds the corner from Wallerawang onto it's final destination Sydney.

eTeamcU.jpg

Fantastic screenshots Mike, your layout looks incredible and you tell a great story.

I remember Wallerawang from previous train shows and you've replicated it beautifully with the textures spot-on.

Great work mate. Cheers,
Roy

Back