Australian screenshots

Great work everyone
Nice shots Roy and Steve.
David, now that you have TRS19 you'll find TANE hard to go back to.
Lspdyiu, most of the turffx grass is seasonal and you can have as many layers of Turffx and clutter as you want but be aware of the performance trade offs. The more precise you go with Turffx the bigger the performance hit. The lowest I go is 2.5 metres. It brings back the concept of a scenery budget.
cheers
Graeme

Lspdyiu, most of the turffx grass is seasonal and you can have as many layers of Turffx and clutter as you want but be aware of the performance trade offs. The more precise you go with Turffx the bigger the performance hit. The lowest I go is 2.5 metres. It brings back the concept of a scenery budget.
cheers
Graeme

I see the point there Graeme so if I put more precision with Turf FX, it drops FPS count. Also, does it require a specific video card to utilise Turf FX and will it work in Tane/latest series(Trs19)? I use Radeon R9 380.

Lspdyiu

Last edited:
No there is no attachment points so it all hit and hope,,
The marker you saw on Flemington station was for a invisiable track for the bradshaw carts going into the underground tunnels running from platform to platform and to to Fleminton market area,
Woy Woy Station

Gosford
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Steve

Last edited:
Iv been considering getting TRS19. I was wondering if all the stuff on Tane DLS, such as Davido, Vinnybarb and thebigman models will work on TRS19? Also how much more lag is it compared to tane. If someone could let me know that’d be great.

cheers, Ryan

Iv been considering getting TRS19. I was wondering if all the stuff on Tane DLS, such as Davido, Vinnybarb and thebigman models will work on TRS19? Also how much more lag is it compared to tane. If someone could let me know that’d be great.

cheers, Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I only got it Friday and have been moving content across. Davido's, thebigman etc's content are working fine.
I've found that it runs a lot better on the same or even better settings than T:ANE. Depending on your machine of course. But happy with the results so far.

Cheers
David

Great stuff guys - Heaps of work being done by everyone.

I've begun rebuilding Redfern / Eveleigh with many changes in various directions.

Here's a few shots taken today,... one of the no-longer existing pedestrian walkway that once connected to the western-end of Redfern Station platforms.
Redfern-stairs.jpg

Another obsolete item, courtesy of elstoko, the elevated 10 bin coal loader at Eveleigh.
Eveleigh-coal-bunker.jpg

And another shot looking west from the rails of platform 9 at Redfern. All track is being re-set and leveled and a general tidy-up.
redfern-rebuild.jpg

I've now included the 'Loco Dive' from Eveleigh under all tracks, which exits after Redfern Station on the main line to Platform 1 at Central and/or to Darling Harbour. A NSWGR 19 Class pullng tankers up-hill.
NSWGR-19-Class.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

Roy,

1 thing I pointed out in the 4th shot, there’s a dighole where the Redfern engine dive is.
The trackwork seems a bit steep don’t you think?
If a loco was to haul a fair, substantial amount of loaded stock and climbs up the grade, wouldn’t the loco start to strain and then stall?

Heres a hint:
If the level of the trackwork is equal to the ground surface (0m)
I suggest you should add more spline points to flatten the track slope and using consecutive number patterns for the sequence of the gradient ranging from low to high and high to low and vice versa. That way you get a much more even, gentle and a smooth ramp and not a drop and is easily accessible for most trains and less straining.

Tables of Values
No. of spline points(SP)
Height(H)

Eg:
SP: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
H: -10, -7.5, -5, -2.5, 0
Length interval(track): 5m (5 blocks across)

Try considering this algorithmic method when dealing with trackwork involving gradients and slope and perhaps write a note based on the tables of values in which you wish to add more splines in the track and set a reasonable number pattern for the application on gradient/slope. The track length interval may be necessary.

Regards,
Lspdyiu

Last edited:
Roy, the footbridge, trackwork and overhead wiring is an absolute work of art, looks fantastic and nice shots by the way.
@Lspdyiu, all locomotives have an allowable tonnage for a particular section of track gradient and as long as they don't exceed that, under normal circumstances they won't stall. In Victoria, this was laid out in the working timetable with in-depth calculations in the General Appendix to the rules and regs.
eg. Orbost - Nowa Nowa - T Class = 504 tons
At a rough visual estimate the grade in that shot is no more than 1 in 40 or 2.2%. With a run up a 19 class wouldn't even need sand, I'd reckon. The calculation involves locomotive weight, tractive effort and gradient and of course with steam, boiler pressure.
cheers
Graeme

Nice work Roy,, Your route of Sydney is more compact than mine so you have limited room to do the gradient, each route is different and a lesson for future route builder having a compact route will limit you in some areas but it is more user friendly and quicker to built, having a route that is spread out needs more detailing and not so user friendly and more time to build,,,
Redfern tunnels
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Steve123[/FONT]

Hey Lspdyiu,

You are correct! There is a dighole right where the tunnel is situated. BUT, remember the wording in my second paragraph, which says. "I've begun rebuilding Redfern / Eveleigh with many changes in various directions."

Mate, I should point out the key-word is 'Begun' - Please be patient because the job is not finished yet.

On your second point, 'Yes' the track is a bit steep. However that shot was taken a week ago and evidence of the dighole and gradient has since been adjusted.

For those who don't know, the 'Loco Dive' is a single 'one-way' track underground tunnel, which was built purely to provide fully-fuelled steam locomotive access from Eveleigh Railway Workshops for Central station. There is no cross-over to access the tunnel on the northern end of Redfern station.

I do understand that it was very unlikely that they would be hauling fully laden goods through there. I just popped a tanker consist there pointing it in the wrong direction just to see if anyone would pick up on it.

I thank you for your tip, but don't worry too much about working out algorithmic methods on my layout mate, I've been modelling Trainz for nearly 10 years now; and I usually get them to work. Remember, this is not real life, it's just a model.

And there really is no need to increase the size of your text to get your point across - my eyesight can handle normal size quite well.

Cheers,
Roy

PS:

Just to satisfy everyone that I haven't broken all the rules, here's a shot of the Loco Dive with at least 160m of gradient to the mouth of the tunnel. No sand needed when you are descending.
loco-dive.jpg

Last edited:
Roy, the footbridge, trackwork and overhead wiring is an absolute work of art, looks fantastic and nice shots by the way.
@Lspdyiu, all locomotives have an allowable tonnage for a particular section of track gradient and as long as they don't exceed that, under normal circumstances they won't stall. In Victoria, this was laid out in the working timetable with in-depth calculations in the General Appendix to the rules and regs.
eg. Orbost - Nowa Nowa - T Class = 504 tons
At a rough visual estimate the grade in that shot is no more than 1 in 40 or 2.2%. With a run up a 19 class wouldn't even need sand, I'd reckon. The calculation involves locomotive weight, tractive effort and gradient and of course with steam, boiler pressure.
cheers
Graeme

Thanks for the kind words and support Graeme.

Trying to match your work mate is near impossible.

Cheers,
Roy

Like you Roy i am always making changes to route and sometimes you look at it and think where do i start, but it's a labour of love and a passion we have had since we were young,,, so we will just roll on and do our own thing buddy,,,
Sorry everyone that video is a bit crap i have to find the right codec,,,
Steve123

Last edited:
Sand is mostly needed whenever the track conditions are usually slippery in wet weather and if the rails are icy or due to oil spill it affects on the loco’s traction and that it can’t bear it easily. This happened in one of the Thomas and Friends season clips in which Henry was asked to take the Flying Kipper from the harbour and because Henry’s driver was aware of the snowy condition he did tell Henry to be cautious when driving in those conditions. After seeing the signal, Henry’s driver tries to put on the brakes but unfortunately the icy rails caused Henry’s drive wheels to spin rapidly fast and that’s when he lost control he crashed into one of stalled troublesome trucks on his line and into heap of snow. Look up this author: RSGCMA2 on YouTube.

Lspdyiu

If you think you've seen this before; then you're right. This is a present-day image and a project I should have done ages ago...

screen-redfern.jpg

Back-dating an image can be simple if you were around in those days, and then you know what to look for.

There's been a lot of 'bricking-up' over the years and modifying the layout of this building to meet modern day standards.
screen-redfern-2.jpg

Now when you look closely, it becomes obvious that there was either another window in the centre of this section or maybe a door. I'm suggesting it could be a door, based on the replaced bricks near where the security camera is placed.

And, on the opposite side of the main entrance, which was once the same layout, now looks totally different and displays some quite shoddy work.
screen-redfern-3.jpg

Hopefully, I may be able to bring back a little character to one of the oldest buildings on the Sydney rail network.

By the way, it won't happen overnight.
Cheers,
Roy

Sand is mostly needed whenever the track conditions are usually slippery in wet weather and if the rails are icy or due to oil spill it affects on the loco’s traction and that it can’t bear it easily. This happened in one of the Thomas and Friends season clips in which Henry was asked to take the Flying Kipper from the harbour and because Henry’s driver was aware of the snowy condition he did tell Henry to be cautious when driving in those conditions. After seeing the signal, Henry’s driver tries to put on the brakes but unfortunately the icy rails caused Henry’s drive wheels to spin rapidly fast and that’s when he lost control he crashed into one of stalled troublesome trucks on his line and into heap of snow. Look up this author: RSGCMA2 on YouTube.

Lspdyiu
I agree that sand is required under those conditions, as I have experienced them myself on occasion. In particular, a nasty night, cold and the first heavy rain for weeks with eucalyptus oil dripping onto the tracks on a 1 in 50 grade and just over 400 tons behind us between Orbost and Nowa Nowa. The sanders were useless as the sand was wet, so we stalled. Guess who had to get out in the rain and fill my billy with wet sand and walk in front of the engine spreading it on the tracks. I've also had a full load and a sick third engine on a multiple unit and stalled in dry weather with the sanders working flat out. In the steam days, bank engines were commonly used for short distances up steep grades.
Even my 2 1/2 year old grandson would agree that with the artistic license involved, Thomas the tank engine does not come close to simulating real world situations, however well they try to represent it. Trainz however, uses mostly accurate models to simulate real life train physics and somewhat accurate real world environments. As a route builder, all I am aiming for is accurate trackwork and gradients and an impression of real world scenery, but naturally in some situations artistic license is required due to limitations in either Trainz or my skill. If you want 100% prototypical, then go ride on a train. :)
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
Back