New Tunnel Face & Tunnel,
saLBznO.jpg

Ne9bYdu.jpg

Cheers

New Tunnel Face & Tunnel,
saLBznO.jpg

Ne9bYdu.jpg

Cheers

Excellent work Steve. One thing I pulled out from those images is that you’re using SubKit track that has a 3rd rail in it. No big deal though in AU railways standards but the primary source of power is from the overhead electrification wiring and since our train fleets don’t use conductive shoes pickup on the underside of the body, 3rd rail power wasn’t adapted and besides they’re SUICIDELY dangerous cos the 3rd rail is the only rail that can electrocute humans by touching or even urinating on the conductor rail. This is A no myth science.

I do hope to match R51’s tunnel signals with this tunnel you’ve modelled and the previous.

Lspdyiu

Hi All,

Firstly, Zec, those shots of V499 look good. I like the weathering on the two locos in the fourth shot.

Secondly, an update on my progress with the NSW signals. I had not really given the tunnel signals as much thought as the other collections so, inspired by some examples posted to the freeware release thread, I started re-working the signals. I also tried out a few ideas I had that I would like to add to all signals eventually. One of the major changes is the way the signal aspects are displayed. Instead of using the standard coronas I have set them up to use a piece of mesh for each lamp. This stops the light being seen through the lens hood, but could also allow for a wider array of illuminated displays (for example, the turnout indicators could be setup this way). I will keep experimenting with the tunnel signals before rolling out this new method to other signals.

NSW-Tunnel-Signal-Update---Experimenting-with-new-lamp-style.jpg

The new version of the "2a/3a Auto" tunnel signal compared to the current version is shown top left. The two signals on the right are based on the two images posted on the freeware release thread. In addition to the lamp changes, I re-worked/properly added a "blank" backing as well as an additional oval backing for when the signals are mounted outside the tunnel. There are also smaller nameplates added (which will eventually be 2-lines) and "A" plates to automatic signals.
There are currently a lot less variants of the tunnel signals (compared to the other SL and DL collections), so I might look at adding a few more to the collection.

Regards,
Ranger_51

The Blue Mountains in the '60s

G'day all,

Something I've been wanting to do for a while is a Trainz route based on the Blue Mountains. A fellow user, and mate of mine, has started his Blue Mountains route but in the modern era so I decided to backtrack 50 years to the 1960s. The 1960s were definitely the 'twilight' years of steam on the Blue Mountains after the line was electrified in the late-50s.

Attached are a few screenshots of what I have done so far. So far I have laid all the track from Lithgow to Penrith and have Valley Heights, Katoomba, Medlow Bath, Penrith, Clarence and Hartley Vale stations finished.

Cheers,
Jonesy

Mt-Victoria.jpg
[/URL]bb image upload[/IMG]
Valley-heights.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Amazing shots Zec. Love the crisp look of the scenery.

R51,

The light globe mesh you’ve made shown in the image is aesthetically right for signals in the modern era times cos they use LED globes. I know for a fact regarding on older signal designs use like a transparent fibreglass as the lens frame in which the lights shine on them. Refer on RRSignal’s signal assets (author: RRSignal), notice the lights are a bit dull and less bright on the red and green globes, the amber light is however. Those globes suitably fit well on older signal designs before the arrival of LED globes. Same on JR’s searchlight and Safetran signals although they’re mesh design is brighter than RRSignal’s so you get more resolution on the light shine.

Lspdyiu

Last edited:
G'day all,

Something I've been wanting to do for a while is a Trainz route based on the Blue Mountains. A fellow user, and mate of mine, has started his Blue Mountains route but in the modern era so I decided to backtrack 50 years to the 1960s. The 1960s were definitely the 'twilight' years of steam on the Blue Mountains after the line was electrified in the late-50s.

Attached are a few screenshots of what I have done so far. So far I have laid all the track from Lithgow to Penrith and have Valley Heights, Katoomba, Medlow Bath, Penrith, Clarence and Hartley Vale stations finished.

Cheers,
Jonesy

Nice shots Jonesy. You're right,... the 1950-1960s era was a great time in NSW to soak up train-rides travelling in every direction.

I remember on the run to Katoomba, at Valley Heights they would hook up a pilot D50 or C32 Class to handle the rest of the journey.

Good luck with your route.
Cheers,
Roy

All very nice work by everyone. Interesting Jonesy, as I've done (probably crudely by most standards), Mt Victoria to Lithgow ala, 1910, so it has the Zig-Zag not the ten tunnels deviation. Clarence, is not on any railway line by 1960 or after 1911 in fact, so I'm wondering if you mean Newnes Junction as it is the last station before Lithgow, except for the Zig-Zag platform (3 metres long) which didn't exist until after 1973? Certainly look forward to more pictures.

The New Beginning:(

A sad but true occurrence has happened. i was adding a new small section to my Lithgow DEM and realised, the previous DEM was out of scale and the settings were incorrect when the original maker exported it. luckily someone kindly offered to make me a too scale DEM with correct settings and different map textures that are easier to read. the issue with the new was i had to start from scratch again... I have only been working for about 3 weeks on the old DEM, but i did get a-lot done. of-course for me, it triggers me when stuff isn't perfect haha. so i decided to start my DEM again. This time i am starting in Goulburn and this will hopefully be the last time i have to restart.

I have done the Dis-used side of Goulburn. i have so far only laid the track and nothing else, gradients and signalling will follow.

Cheers, Ryan

All very nice work by everyone. Interesting Jonesy, as I've done (probably crudely by most standards), Mt Victoria to Lithgow ala, 1910, so it has the Zig-Zag not the ten tunnels deviation. Clarence, is not on any railway line by 1960 or after 1911 in fact, so I'm wondering if you mean Newnes Junction as it is the last station before Lithgow, except for the Zig-Zag platform (3 metres long) which didn't exist until after 1973? Certainly look forward to more pictures.

Hey Alikiwi,

The Clarence in the route is what I think is the third Clarence. This station was around the bend from Newnes Junction. It was at the beginning of the cutting that leads to Tunnel No.1 of the Ten Tunnels.
1z6ajd3go

I have finally added the 5 metre DEM to my route covering Waterfall, Emu Plains and Berowra....... now comes the fun part of using train cab videos to create the scenery for the project.

Have finally got my route beyond where I was 10 years ago before I lost 3 years of work .

The roller coaster shown below indicates where a rail bridge has to be added.

Bgc6bWj.jpg

Back