"Caching" message

Lo_Poly

Unidentified bogie
I've notices in several screenshots I've seen int he screenshots area, some of them have had a "Caching..." message at the bottom left corner of the screen along with a progress bar below it.

Does anyone know how to do this? I don't see it in my version.

(I'm using TC)

Good! You don't want to see it :)

It indicates that Trainz has run out of resources on a system and has had to dump some content from the cache and reload new content. Typically you get it with a change of camera view....

Andy :)

Good! You don't want to see it :)

It indicates that Trainz has run out of resources on a system and has had to dump some content from the cache and reload new content. Typically you get it with a change of camera view....

Ah! I had no idea! :hehe:

No more responses needed.

It might still be doing the cacheing even if it's not displaying it. Adding this line to the trainzoptions.txt file will make Trainz display the cache bar:

-showcachebar

I think I read somewhere that the trainzoptions.txt file has been given a slightly different name in TC.

The cachebar display is on by default in TRS2004 but not in TRS2006 or TC it seems.

HTH, John

It might still be doing the cacheing even if it's not displaying it. Adding this line to the trainzoptions.txt file will make Trainz display the cache bar:

-showcachebar

I think I read somewhere that the trainzoptions.txt file has been given a slightly different name in TC.

The cachebar display is on by default in TRS2004 but not in TRS2006 or TC it seems.

HTH, John

trainzclassicoptions.txt ;)

Oh and thanks, I added that to the file!

BTW... I was looking through the screenies again and noticed a few had a KUID number at the bottom right corner. What's that about?

EDIT EDIT: No offense Dermmy but I think you are wrong. The extra command in the config file works, but it appeared whenever it was loading an object.

cachingkw3.jpg

But I find this very handy, I can tell why the FPS might slow down, and etc. :)

Last edited:
EDIT EDIT: No offense Dermmy but I think you are wrong. The extra command in the config file works, but it appeared whenever it was loading an object. :)

... maybe a fuller explanation: When you load a route Trainz will cache content every time a new object comes within draw distance of the camera. On some routes on some systems the cache will hold all the content for the route, and after the first time an object is committed to the cache that's it - no more caching. On other systems and routes the cache will not be large enough to load all content and Trainz needs to dump currently out-of-view content to load currently in-view content, leading to the appearance of the cache bar and momentarilly reduced framerates.

To see the kuid of the currently selected object in Surveyor add -ShowKuids to your teainzoptions file...

Last edited:
... maybe a fuller explanation: When you load a route Trainz will cache content every time a new object comes within draw distance of the camera. On some routes on some systems the cache will hold all the content for the route, and after the first time an object is committed to the cache that's it - no more caching. On other systems and routes the cache will not be large enough to load all content and Trainz needs to dump currently out-of-view content to load currently in-view content, leading to the appearance of the cache bar and momentarilly reduced framerates.

To see the kuid of the currently selected object in Surveyor add -ShowKuids to your teainzoptions file...

Mkay! And thanks for -ShowKuids tip!

And by chance, are there any other commands you can add to the Trainzoptions file that are handy?

-showcachebar

HTH, John
I have added the -showcachebar to my trainzoptions.txt file, but it never shows up in my TS2009 Trainz program. Do you have any suggestions?

The cache bar is a bad thing - you don't want to see it. Therefore the suggestion is : Change Nothing!

Andy ;)

I have added the -showcachebar to my trainzoptions.txt file, but it never shows up in my TS2009 Trainz program. Do you have any suggestions?

Yes, go out and buy a much older PC, with less than half of the RAM you are using now.:D

Back