K-27 464

Klinger

The Chicago CTA guy
Ok, I have been doing a lot of research on old D&RGW locomotives, and how they managed to survive into today

I read up on how the USACoE managed to destroy the 7 barrowed K-28...one even made it back to Utah....and when the D&RGW instected it...they rejected it

But the one i cannot find info on....or maybe im not looking hard enough...is 464.

I would like to know where it was before it was restored...i cannot find any info...so hopefully someone here knows something i do not

and based on the pictures i could find....it almost looks like they found it in a river or a lake lol

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=123817&nseq=4

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=123816&nseq=5

That looks like sun damage. It may have been sitting outside in the desert for a few decades. Maybe New Mexico.
I wonder if any of the train museums in the southwest have heard anything.

:cool: Claude

#464 was sold to Knott's Berry Farm after the D&RGW retired her in 1962. Knott's sold her to Genesee County where she was restored and is in operation on the Huckleberry Railroad in Flint, MI.

She was certainly in pretty rough shape. :(

Regards,
Todd

The only information I can find at the moment is that 464 was the Durango switcher from 1955 until August 21st, 1957. She was also the last Mudhen owned by the D&RGW in steam. The 464 was sold to Michigan in 1981, and started operation at the Huckleberry Railroad in 1992.

I'll post more as I find it in my books and things :)

EDIT: Already got some more from the "Official Crossroads Village Website". Apparently some of the dates I found were slightly incorrect.

#464 was built in 1903 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works for the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. #464 was the final “mudhen” in an order of 15 locomotives delivered with Vauclain Compound cylinders, Stephenson Valve Gear, and a slope back tender. The Rio Grande, a few years later, converted #464 to simple cylinders and slide valves. Later in its life #464 was again converted to its third set of cylinders, now with Walschaerts Valve Gear and piston valves.

The #464 spent most if its life under the ownership of the Rio Grande, It hauled freight and may have performed helper duties. Also, during its time with the Rio Grande it served in the Rio Grande Southern in the 1940’s and was used on the Silverton train, out of Durango, CA in the 1950’s. In 1973, Knotts Berry Farm, Placentia, CA, purchased #464 and used it for one year. Due to low clearance of the counterweights, and a declining mechanical state #464 was sidelined.

In 1981, the Huckleberry Railroad acquired #464 from Knotts Berry Farm and started restoration immediately. By 1989 restoration of #464 was completed and ready to enter service. In January of 1990, #2 went down for major rebuilding, and #464 became the Huckleberry’s primary locomotive.

In the fall of 1994, #464’s sword hanger (part of the suspension system) broke. At this point it was taken out service for repair of the sword hanger and replacement of locomotive tires and repair to the water tank.

I'm going to assume that the 464 was in the desert at Knott's for some time, resulting in the look you see there. It was in a "declining mechanical state", so it obviously wasn't great even in 1973...by the time it arrived in Michigan in '81 it would have been pretty bad.

As before...I'll post it as I find it!

EDIT AGAIN: I've found that those pictures were taken upon arrival at Knott's in '73...I'll wager therefore that it was in the Durango area for some time after the Rio Grande retired it. Now that I've got a more specific timeframe, I'll see what I can find!

FINAL EDIT: I believe I've got it...this time in a history of the K-27s from a Mountain Model Imports ON30 brochure.

"The 464 was the last active K-27 and used off and on until 1957.
In retirement, it was used for spare parts on the Silverton K-28s and
sat derelict in the Durango yards until 1973. I climbed on the engine
in 1973 and can attest that all the fittings in the cab were gone, and
the loco was in rough shape. Sold to Knott’s Berry Farm, the K-27
joined 2-8-0s D&RGW 340 and RGS 41 along with some ex-San
Juan passenger cars. Restored and converted to burning oil, the 464
was used for no more than two seasons before management decided
it was too big for the tight radius track in the park and sold it to the
Huckleberry Railroad in Michigan in 1981. Restored to operation in
1989, it operated with a former White Pass & Yukon 4-6-0."

Raided for parts...may explain it!

Last edited: