ugly trains

Yeah, the fireman worked on the back of the loco and the engineer worked in the middle. Probably not a lot of opportunity for the engineer and fireman to keep up on latest gossip! ;)

I'm kind of surprised no one has made a VGN 2-10-10-2 for Trainz.

I bet it was hot as holy heck in the cab, right next to the steam tube, so one would be able to sweat off the pounds :hehe: They were eventually outlawed because of unsafe design

anti-social lol.

By far the funniest way to describe a train or any part thereof lol.
Why did the cab need to be there though. If it was for shunting visibility, why not just a simple cabforward, especially since the engineer and fireman were going to be separated anyway.

I bet it was hot as holy heck in the cab, right next to the steam tube, so one would be able to sweat off the pounds :hehe: They were eventually outlawed because of unsafe design
Being half way along the boiler Im guessing is probably the worst place you could be if there was a boiler malfunction. I would be sweating more about if the fireman was having a good day or not or if you were well liked lol. He might let the water get low and have a result like this :eek:

trainwr1.jpg

That's not the way to have a good day I suggest lol.

By far the funniest way to describe a train or any part thereof lol.
Why did the cab need to be there though. If it was for shunting visibility, why not just a simple cabforward, especially since the engineer and fireman were going to be separated anyway.
Good question, you would still be very reliant on the guys on the ground giving directions where it is, a cabforward would seem logical, and a much safer position to be in if your fireman didn't like you lol.

Camelbacks all have extra wide fireboxes due to the type of coal they used, there was no room at the back. They stopped making them not for safety but the type of coal they used ran out. You can only make a good cab-forward if you use oil.

Camelbacks all have extra wide fireboxes due to the type of coal they used, there was no room at the back. They stopped making them not for safety but the type of coal they used ran out. You can only make a good cab-forward if you use oil.

Actually, the supply of (anthracite) coal did not "run out." The so-called "Wooten fireboxes" used on most Camelback locos were designed to burn small sizes of anthracite coal.

"In 1918, the Interstate Commerce Commission banned further construction of camelbacks, but allowed a few exceptions up to the early 1920s. Finally in 1927, the ICC forbade any more orders for the center cab locomotive on the grounds of safety."

That (and much, much more) is explained in SteamLocomotive.com's excellent article on The Anthracite Railroads and the Camelback Locomotive.

As to the reason for the Camelback design that featured a cab positioned mid-boiler, here's another quote from said article:

"Adapting this new firebox to a locomotive required it to be located above the driving wheels because its width would not permit it to fit between them. However, locating it in front of the crew cab obstructed the engineer's view. So the engineer's cab was moved ahead of the firebox and located astride the boiler and the fireman remained in the rear of the locomotive and was provided minimum protection from the weather."

You can only make a good cab-forward if you use oil.

True, if you'd like the crew to stick together. Since Camelback crews were already separated, there would be no difference whether or not the engineer was in the middle or way up front, the fireman is still gonna be hanging around the back porch.

Great Northern RR fans probably feel that hi-rail '55 Buick Special looks even better when viewed in living color... umm, maybe.

Buick_Inspection_1955_nucopy.jpg
I can say that the Buick right there is a whole lot more stylish than many of the cars being sold today! I wouldn't mind running the rails in that cool ride, as long as I could outrun the trains...in either forward or reverse... ;)

Back