ugly trains

Meanwhile in Brazil:

9438.1372213354.jpg

Yeah, there's a similar locomotive in the USA with a long rear porch. I forgot what number it was though.

For those of you who don't know:
This is a BB40-2, which is an SD40-2 rebuilt with four two-axle trucks, in a B+B-B+B wheel configuration.
The first and second trucks are connected to the frame, and each other, by a span bolster. The third and fourth trucks are connected the same way. The reason for replacing two three-axle trucks with four two-axle trucks is to reduce the axle load so that the locomotive can travel on rails that are not strong enough to handle a 'standard' SD40-2. It also appears that they used Flexicoil trucks found on EMD's SW and NW series of switchers, instead of Blomberg trucks, which were used on F units and Geeps.

Last edited:
I just noticed this photo over at Railroadfan:

MSO_Sturgis_Boxcars_5-8-07.jpg

Forum member GP30M4216 captions the photo, "Parked near of the diamond at Sturgis on the siding at the northern extent of the old PRR in town are these three relics. The first two are 40' boxcars, and the last is a 1949 built tank car. Though pretty much illegible, the boxcars are former Ann Arbor and feature the AA "compass" logo, applied during their affiliation with the Detroit Toledo and Ironton. The tracks in the foreground are still used by the Michigan Southern to switch industries. Note the old friction bearing trucks."

I noticed what appears to be "No Hobos" chalked on the side of the lead boxcar. A neat idea for repainting!

I think the articulated camelback would just need a modern headlight to look better. It's weird seeing that older headlight on such a powerful-looking machine.

Be nice of someone could make that 0-8-8-0 camelback for Trainz. Would look fantastic in pusher service or in a hump yard pushing cars up the hump for sorting.

Ben

... It's weird seeing that older headlight on such a powerful-looking machine.

LOL, it's not "weird" at all, it's simply "the way things were."

It wasn't until the mid-1910s that tungsten filaments strong enough to withstand the vibration of a powerful locomotive were first developed, and it took a several years to refine the technique.

I actually quite like the look of larger locos equipped with big, boxy headlights. PRR's prototype K4s was given such a headlight, same with Erie's Triplex and ATSF's 2-6-6-2 mallets. I love the juxtaposition of a powerful loco wearing decidedly antiquated features.

Actually, that pic of the Erie 0-8-8-0 Camelback was taken in 1911, at which time the oil headlight was certainly not "antiquated" -- it was simply the type of headlight then in use on locomotives of that era, as electric headlights weren't yet practical.

The "knob" on top was pretty much the standard design used by Baldwin and Alco around the turn of the 20th century. I think it simply a vent... shaped that way to prevent water from going down into the casing.

190-305.gif
On left, a Baldwin headlight...

The Erie 0-8-8-0 Camelback, pictured earlier, was built in 1907 by ALCO. It's a rather unique locomotive, since it's the only Camelback articulated locomotive ever built. But it's components and appliances are fairly typical of the era.

The B&O's "Old Maude", built by Baldwin in 1900, the first Mallet used in North America, used a similarly styled headlight.

bo2400sa.jpg

The Virginian 2-6-6-0 Mallet, built in 1909 by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO), also had a headlight with a "knob"...

800px-Virginian_Ry_Class_AA_2-6-6-0_Mallet.png

I meant more antiquated in style than in function. To my knowledge, the round kerosene lamps (pictured on 'Old Maude' and Virginian's 2-6-6-0) were considered a modern style at that time, while the boxy ones were somewhat old fashioned by 1911.

And I had never seen that Virginian mallet before! Adding that and Old Maude to the roster for my fantasy railroad. The Virginian for drag freight and Maude for helper duties, I think.

... And I had never seen that Virginian mallet before! Adding that and Old Maude to the roster for my fantasy railroad. The Virginian for drag freight and Maude for helper duties, I think.

I really like the look of the 1900-1920 period locomotives and rolling stock. I wish we had more Trainz content creators that are into the 1900-1940 era steam stuff!

For those who might feel inclined to get creative, i will mention that links to Public Domain elevation drawings of both locomotives can be found on this page. As I find more drawings, I add them to that page (although I have a backlog of recently found drawings I need to add, currently. :eek:)

For those who might feel inclined to get creative, ...
.... I swear when I die I will come back and haunt you for the rest of your natural life for creating something so ugly :hehe:
Now, if someone wanted a challenge and had the urge to build a Virginian 2-10-10-2, that looks interesting.

So how did they operate then, was there another cab on the other side for the fireman, or was he in the cab at the back of the boiler. Either way, it seems a bit anti-social lol.

The cab door looks to be about 2 foot wide, no good for a driver of the chubby nature lol.

Back