300px-Mallard_locomotive_625.jpg

USA
5167.1109354820.jpg

UK
4905.jpg

am344-mt.jpg

UK
300px-Unit_395008_at_Ebbsfleet_International.JPG

Really, I only see the UK beating the US in the passenger department. BTW, I chose the Crusader for the streamliner comparison because, aside from its beauty, its looks are comparable to the Mallard, shape and color wise.

BTW

knuckle_coupler.jpg

Anyway, it is all a matter of opinion. Personally, there are very few UK things that I like. I tend to be a US/NZ/GER fan myself.

Flying Scotsman is beautiful, just not in her american configuration. she doesn't look right with a cowcatcher and american headlight. But she does need her second tender back:hehe:.

Ok wiseguy here is a lump and and some english one's to compare to.
America

United Kingdom
united Kingdom 2

So how about that then Eh?:hehe:

I said comparable... As in, locomotives built for a similar purpose around the same time.

(Also when you find a Dash 8-shaped lump of anything, please take a picture.)

A Challenger approaches:

orig-neg-b-o-5304-royal-blue-washington-dc-4-39_400177773154.jpg

The Royal Blue. Streamlined, Fast, Good Looking - Hasn't broken parts off during operation... :hehe:

tr_bo_rb.jpg

Anywho, Comparing an old Teakettle to a Semi-Modern Union Pacific Diesel Locomotive is pretty pointless too. Even though more than likely our 'Lumps' can outpull AND outrun any of your silly little squeakers at the same time. :eek:

Here are some that are pretty bad/ugly
4348100390_78df866e0f_o.jpg

tr_sf1.jpg

(I like the Santa Fe, but just not this)
cnj2000.jpg

Very few double ended US locos actually look good and this is not one of them
(but the GG1 is apart of the good looking group).

Last edited:
Sure but

Comparison time!
America
300px-UP_9214_19910510_CA_Cajon.jpg

UK
5710.jpg

USA
RDG_Crusader.jpg

UK
300px-Mallard_locomotive_625.jpg

USA
5167.1109354820.jpg

UK
4905.jpg

am344-mt.jpg

UK
300px-Unit_395008_at_Ebbsfleet_International.JPG

Really, I only see the UK beating the US in the passenger department. BTW, I chose the Crusader for the streamliner comparison because, aside from its beauty, its looks are comparable to the Mallard, shape and color wise.

BTW

knuckle_coupler.jpg

Anyway, it is all a matter of opinion. Personally, there are very few UK things that I like. I tend to be a US/NZ/GER fan myself.

Sure you may think that but I even think that the American freighters are beaten by the UK machines. I mean we designed some of the best looking machines on the planet. I would for once like to see something American that does not look like the same as everything else in use. Do the designers have imagination or are they just lazy?

Uracco
:confused:

Yes

I think that's one of the prettiest modern trains to come out of Germany. It looks very nice, and can be easily adapted to other rail networks. The UK's getting a few soon, modified to the UK loading gauge for use on Eurostar services. Or at least, that's what I've heard.

yes that is right we are getting some of the Siemens Velaro E or D's but not for Eurostar. I think it will go St.Pancras (England) then trough France to Munich in Germany.

uracco

yes that is right we are getting some of the Siemens Velaro E or D's but not for Eurostar. I think it will go St.Pancras (England) then trough France to Munich in Germany.
It's if DB are allowed to run their own services through the Chunnel, they'll run alongside Eurostar.

Regards,
Phil

Sure you may think that but I even think that the American freighters are beaten by the UK machines. I mean we designed some of the best looking machines on the planet. I would for once like to see something American that does not look like the same as everything else in use. Do the designers have imagination or are they just lazy?

Uracco

Please do not quote pictures: it's a waste of bandwidth and it's redundant. If you want to quote someone, just quote them and delete the pictures.

Your opinion is subjective, just like everyone else's. I prefer North American stuff myself but I can respect the opinions of others when they say they like their stuff too. I can also admit that some stuff made by other countries looks great and that some NA stuff is indeed quite ugly. In the end, it's all subjective...

The adage "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it" comes to mind which is perhaps why NA locomotives/rolling stock may seem somewhat similar. I could easily jump to this conclusion for other countries locomotives too. However, upon closer inspection, there are a variety of designs in each country.

Every culture designs unique and useful things. Saying Americans (or any country for that matter) lack imagination or are lazy is a pretty harsh, ignorant, and narrow minded prejudice, unless you've personally met a LOT of American designers. It's sad to think that there are many others who feel this way about other countries and other cultures.

I think it is time for me to unsubscribe from this thread.

Gisa

Uracco

1142.1186178400.jpg

4695emd.jpg

And those are even the same builder.

Back