ugly trains

what in the,is that suppose to be a 'train'?

to be honest,I don't think a steam engine like this one looks good in pink,I like black better and I also find that a insult to male model railroaders like myself,to see a train painted in those colors,why,I would take a western and atlantic painted 0-4-0 switcher steam engine any day!:eek:

I bet if they tried to sell a pink version out here in Asia, it'd have done better. Pink is more gender neutral here.

Still, black or grey looks pretty good if you ask me. :) Here's a great example.

http://picsdigger.com/image/30e32ed6/

Kind of odd how it's still not in trainz yet, mind you making any locomotive is difficult and steam locos are arguably the most difficult it seems.

:wave:

Gisa ^^

yep,as difficult as it is,I would not be surprised if someone here taken this particular 4-6-4 engine on for trainz,and I think that picture of that so called' 'lady Lionel' pink train set was just another failed and not to mention,bold attempt at marketing which probably did not sell!;)

Last edited:
yep,as difficult as it is,I would not be surprised if someone here taken this particular 4-6-4 engine on for trainz,and I think that picture of that so called' 'lady Lionel' pink train set was just another failed and not to mention,bold attempt at marketing which probably did not sell!;)

Actually it's a 2-6-4.

Don't forget the boy's version!

IMG_0278.jpg

I believe the boys one is actually a more recent set. They had canceled it after the girl's one's success(or lack thereof), and it came out a few years ago.

I believe the boys one is actually a more recent set. They had canceled it after the girl's one's success(or lack thereof), and it came out a few years ago.

Ok, I think now that you mention it I remember seeing that somewhere (might have been this giant Lionel history book I got at the library.)

yes,now I see,but there was a another country that used this rather odd wheel arrangement,Austria used it which is really a 4-6-2 which is reversed and the reason behind that,is because of the firebox and weight,so by having the 4 wheel trailing truck supporting it,I find that kind of weird to see that set up like that,must have been sucessful over there!;)

^ Could someone tell me what these are please? :udrool: :mop:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if these have been posted already.

Lisheen3.jpg

1.jpg

146926.jpg

135144.jpg

325074.jpg

Last edited:
^ Could someone tell me what these are please? :udrool: :mop:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German Built Kraus Maffet Diesel Highdrolic (fail spelling) units. SP and the Rio Grande were the only two railroads to try them out in America. Rio Grande had alot of trouble with theres, and only went for the frist set, and latter gave that to the SP. SP however, although had trouble too, hung on to them longer. They went on to have different body styles. The first one you have quoted is the first style. The other two are SP home custon styles. There is one style that is not there, and that one is the only one left in exsistance. Niles Canyon Railway In California. They got the last one.

its Kraus Maffei,not Maffet!

well,even though that last German built unit survived the scrapper's torch,I think that it will never have the same appeal that steam engines!;)

Last edited:
The GWR exloco on the DLS has to be the ugliest loco. You will need exloco boiler, GWR thunderer, GWR Hurricane and exloco tender, plus dependencies to have both experimental trains.

Back