ugly trains

That Talgo trainset that runs somewhere up in the pacific northwest....sort of looks like a caterpillar that someone stepped on. :eek:

¿The Cascades train? The original Spanish version is one of the most beautiful trains I remember, and I think the Amtrak version is more beautiful than its Spanish "father" the Talgo series IV/V/VI/VII. Also I think is a very special train, all the TALGO are very special trains, but they're fast and safe.

I don't think the Talgo is truly ugly--maybe strange and unusual in the land of Superliners and Triple-Decker TTX auto-carriers.

It didn't help that the consists got bracketed by two big (comparative to the size of the cars) engines, either.

Also I think is a very special train, all the TALGO are very special trains, but they're fast and safe.

Safe my foot! They're all in the shops because of some cracked piece or something!

However, I do not deny that the Amtrak Cascades is a pretty nice looking train.

Lol especially if they have Condor headboards and the "right" smoke! From photos they seem to have been real Clag Monsters.....:hehe:
I seem to remember that they had the nickname of "Fireballs" nothing to do with Gerry Anderson, I seem to remember that if they were Throttled back and coasted for a short time, fuel built up and produced a fireball and a bang from the exhaust...I think i read it in Rail Mag a few years back.:eek:

Ugly? Think: EMD 1800 hp B-B

Personally,
I think EMD 1800 hp B-B are quite ugly...
...especially in Santa Fe's rebuilt form.
Just look at them on Wikipedia!
*Shudders in horror*
But if fictional trains count, then its gotta be:
The steam loco from "Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow!"
The train runs on a dual 3'6" gauge track and has two boilers (with two smokestacks, of couse!).
->Just watch the movie and find out for yourself!<-
~TTT100~

Mphm, perhaps, this is the only locomotive that I don´t like from USA. The most ones that I like are the F40PH, the Genesis ones,...

up_eng_37_U50_a.jpg

Regards :wave:

The virgin pendolinos show what can be done with good design & engineering . The mersey LMS stock was also good for its day, compared to what the southern was producing at the same time (1938/41).

i think the ugliest loco is the flying scotsman what do people see in that over rated peice of trash it looks ugly with its big blinkers on the front scrap it

I was going to say the U50C but I see boleamj beat me to it. Seconded.

Rob.

lol, an other locomotive that I don´t like is this one:

f7mcgreg.jpg

Well... I don´t like this type of locomotives too much, well, yes, I like, but... don´t know how to say it, let´s say, draw.

Regards :)

One more ugly loco i forgot was the LMS beyer-garratt with its rotating coal bunker,horrific. Flying scotsman maybe ugly to doomguy,but what is ugly about it, is the obscene amount of money the NRM spends on just one loco while something like the LMS class 502 emu is left to rot at an MOD base...:(

There seems to be no real ugly trains in Queensland where I live (the 4000 Class is by far the ugliest but they don't have them down here so they don't count) The ugliest ones would be the poor 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, 2000 and 2100 classes that QR has rusting in the Redbank Railway Workshops that are used for spare parts.

I feel sorry for the 1700 double header coal trains that get stuck (AKA: Throttle: 100%, Brakes: 0%, Start speed: 0Km/h, Top speed on run: about 2Km/h) though.

Seeing a double header train that you can hear a mile away not moving is cute (The 1700 class is adorable. The 2300 classes just dwarf the things. They are twice as long and a foot higher). Funny when it's stopped over a level crossing.

Last edited:
I was going to say the U50C but I see boleamj beat me to it. Seconded.

Rob.

Except that the locomotive boleamj posted is the U50D, not the U50C. U50D has four two axle bogeys; U50C has two three axle bogeys.

ns

Back