ugly trains

Early Union Pacific streamlined locomotives. Their M10000 units and an early streamlined passenger steamer both used the mud and yellow and red that just looked like a failure to me. Designs were beautiful, paint was horrid. Next...

@griffinjim Lol, I hardly recognise the BR Class 66 in the last one!
I don't find these ugly, just weird! :hehe:

I said this a long time back in this Thread, but I'll say it again

I believe that there is no locomotive that everyone agrees on that is ugly. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, the appearance of a train is more unusual than others, which is what this thread boils down to: The train's appearance to a person. I don't find trains ugly or not, I just like some more than others. For example: Someone might call The Flying Scotsman ugly, while others don't consider it ugly.

Last edited:
Franco & Crosti boilers never fail to bring the ugly, that's for sure.

Speaking of Franco Crosti boilers, what Bulleid did to this K3 is criminal. (Converted to peat burning loco).
365-3a.jpg

Someone might have posted this already,but this one just yells ugly to me...

Teploparovoz_TP1.jpg

According to the Wikipedia,this is a Russian Diesel-steam hybrid locomotive... and this has to be one of the ugliest I have seen yet.

Now onto real trains
dccaf9908bf97407001a37808872e83c_large.jpg

Are you sure about that ?A real train SMH. Anyway most of the pics you post of trains here ain't that ugly...

The Fyra V250 is ugly now will be in service in Italy

1200px-Fyra_V250_4806.jpg

And the Class 385 has a weird front, Hitachi could have done it better...

DtKnTvNXgAA3ejt.jpg

Are you sure about that ?A real train SMH. Anyway most of the pics you post of trains here ain't that ugly...

The Fyra V250 is ugly now will be in service in Italy

1200px-Fyra_V250_4806.jpg

I definitely agree with you on the V250, but what about the China Railways CR400BF? This is my least favorite high speed train of this China Railways fleet. I think the headlights should've been placed down further and it looks like a bug with light up eyes. Every time I see this, I would just look at their other trains even if some of them are Siemens Velaro clones.

8d0ee2219e68afc07c6a9ea96221fce1.jpg

Last edited:
NP H-4 Northern Pacific Steam Generator
8e241d3c745b3e7da398a918db1c2525--steam-generator-rolling-stock.jpg

image462.jpg

Back in the early days they moved houses by use of the railroad such as this house near King Hill
image506.jpg

Last edited:
Steam gen. car looks just like a cabless EMD F unit... while yes standalone they're just a box put together with a cab unit they look slick; the Steam Generator probably slid right in the consist.

[/QUOTE]
And the Class 385 has a weird front, Hitachi could have done it better...

DtKnTvNXgAA3ejt.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Actually, I love the front of the 385.The streamlining makes it look a lot better than other designs similar to it.

Folks this is a wonderful Thread,

Thank you for contributing some amazing pictures of what I never knew existed.............:cool:

I been busy this weekend preparing my personal Taxes, and needed a break........:hehe:

Living in So California, I am aware we had a Wine train, but never imagined it would be painted in those Colors...........I think I better wear some mighty dark glasses if I ever ride, those colors just don't seem too blend well. :(

Now I need to get back to this boring paper shuffle I have to do each year,

You all have a wonderful weekend.......:D

Back