ugly trains

When you drive an ugly train ...

SP-Crewmans-Smoke-Hood-1024x805.png

Drivers on the Southern Pacific wore those when working routes with snow sheds because poor ventilation allowed carbon monoxide to seep into the cab. Basically, it's how train crews on some SP routes survived before the famous Cab Forwards were invented.

According to the page the picture is from, the tube connected to it may have been used to supply oxygen to the person wearing the mask. Systems like these were used by pilots in World War I.

O_O What is that?!

Allow me to explain:
The picture shows one of the ways crews on the Southern Railroad handled the tunnels of the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railway, as evident by 'SOUTHERN' being on the side of the cab. The CNO&TP is also known as 'The Rathole', as the tunnels were said to be 'so small only a rat could fit thru them'. The small tunnels resulted in the crews dealing with the smoke inhalation coming from the smoke from the steam locomotives, so things such as what's in the picture were made that provide the crews the oxygen we all breathe. Think of it like the scuba gear you would wear if you were to go swimming in the ocean, it's the same principle. Also, the CNO&TP was the first route on the Southern to be fully dieselized, with the small tunnels being the deciding factor as to what section of the Southern Railroad was to be dieselized first.

Drivers on the Southern Pacific wore those when working routes with snow sheds because poor ventilation allowed carbon monoxide to seep into the cab. Basically, it's how train crews on some SP routes survived before the famous Cab Forwards were invented.

According to the page the picture is from, the tube connected to it may have been used to supply oxygen to the person wearing the mask. Systems like these were used by pilots in World War I.
There has been discussion about the info on this page in several places. They have been notified multiple times that their info for the picture is incorrect but it is never changed.

8815080799_b42b92a094_z.jpg

LU S8 Stock, I like the interior, but the front end is just hideous, been around for a couple of years now and I still haven't got used to them.
Tram3.JPG

I'm surprised that no one has put any trams up yet, this tram in Munich is pretty hideous.
On a point of information: that "tram in Munich" is actually in Bordeaux. The city is twinned with Munich, which is no doubt why this set is named "Ville de Munich".

They are diesel-hydraulic units. Picture a standard diesel-electric unit, then replace the generator with a pump and the ac/dc motors with hydraulic motors. The middle picture is what you get when you change a locomotive into a movie studio for making training movies (as in eduational, not just fun to watch).

They are diesel-hydraulic units. Picture a standard diesel-electric unit, then replace the generator with a pump and the ac/dc motors with hydraulic motors. The middle picture is what you get when you change a locomotive into a movie studio for making training movies (as in eduational, not just fun to watch).

And here's the locomotive in question: Southern Pacific #9010. The sole-surviving Krauss Maffei Diesel-Hydraulic manufactured for the U.S. market, now residing at the Niles Canyon Railway in California.
Link to the 'profile' of Southern Pacific #9010 on the Niles Canyon Railway's website: http://www.ncry.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=541047&module_id=137688&actr=4

And if you want to read about the restoration of this unique diesel, which is interesting in its own right, here's the link: http://sp9010.ncry.org/

Thanks! I thought they had all passed into oblivion. I learned about them while I was an “N scale” railroader forty years ago. Thanks for the links. Great!

I would say the fairlie type steam locomotive due to it's design and any German Steamers because of it's history and ties to the Holocaust.

Saying you think that the Mallard is ugly is like saying you think the Queen is ugly. You may think what you like, but sometimes you just don't say it.
Mick

Okay, the K4 and Mallard are great and the last loco is fine. It is very different but it still looks great! I guess it was the PRR's design before the T1?

Look close to the tender. It says 'Baltimore & Ohio'. They tried out the duplex design, but they didn't go as far as the Pennsylvania.

Back