Programs for animated gif images!

kcdowdy

TCR Mod, TheKoolKid :)
Looking for somthing that can do this... I'm looking at IrfanView now.

I need to do somthing very important with this gif image.

Last edited:
If you mean editing/creating GIFs, GIMP is awesome. Creating gifs with it is also insanely easy.

GIF Construction Set might be worth investigating.

Many years ago I obtained an earlier version of this program on a computer magazine front cover CD. The version I've got includes these functions:
  • Bolt together a set of individual static gif files to make one animated gif file from them.
  • Edit an animated gif file to add or remove each frame, adjust the timing, etc.
  • Create a transparent gif file (one selected colour is transparent).
  • Edit a transparent gif file to select a different colour to be transparent.
It's also quite easy to use. Personally, I find GIMP extremely powerful and feature rich but utterly mysterious - but that's just my humble opinion. GIMP is more appropriate if you need to create graphics with layers (eg pictures with text captions), but I find creating graphics of that complexity much easier to do in Visual BASIC. I don't think GIMP can do animated GIF's but I might just never have found that option.

HTH, John

Last edited:
As a user of Photoshop, GIMP, and Paint, I'll say that GIMP makes a lot of sense only if you've used Paint before but not Photoshop. It does have a learning curve, but Photoshop's completely different. There is a way to do animated GIFs in Adobe Imageready(comes with Photoshop), but it's extremely complicated.

Personally, I use Microsoft GIF Animator, available at VersionTracker.

Whatever you decide to use, good luck!

I've been using MS Gif Animator many years myself, robbiehanson. It's easy and it works great, too. It works very similar to what John has said.

Last edited:
Back