Question about Removal of Program

jeff1959

First, no I am not giving up on Trainz. What I need is advice on how to delete an extra copy. I discovered there are a total of 3 copies on 2 different drives. One is my working copy. The other 2 are "clean" copies with no extra assets. I only need one. However, going into the settings/apps I find like a dozen or more entries for Trainz, most listed as TANE. I don't really know what I should do. I can just leave both there, it's not like I need the disk space. Just trying to organize what programs are where. Thanks in advance.

The multiple copies of TANE in the settings/apps is a known "issue". Despite never having installed TANE on my current desktop it appears 8 times in the Apps list. My advice there is to leave it alone.

A single copy of Trainz will install itself in two different places, usually on the same drive. One copy is the software itself and the other is the userdata (all the DLS downloads and stuff you create yourself).

The software is installed in a location like, for example:-

C:\Program Files\N3V Games

where you may see several folders, one for each version (e.g. TRS22, TRS19, etc) that you have installed.

The userdata is a bit more obscure. The easiest way to locate this folder for each install is to:-

1. Start the program launcher (e.g. TANE)
2. Open the Trainz Settings option
3. Select the Install tab

the name and location of the userdata folder for that particular install will be shown. Highlight and copy the address then paste it into Windows File Explorer.

You can delete the entire userdata parent folder (which will have a random name such as build sd6ccvr61) and the software install folder IF YOU ARE CERTAIN that they will no longer be needed.

But all this is at the users own risk.

Back