A question of choice

valbridge

Rail Tragic
At least we have one, a choice that is.
After installing TRS22 and Trainz+ have discovered that S2.0 is certainly not for me. From what I have seen so far this new surveyor will take quite a while to master. Unfortunately for me I cannot give it that time. So will basically leave route creation using S2.0 to the experts.

However, my q here is if I uninstall Trainz+ do I lose TRS22? Or are they totally seperate items. I am under the impression that TRS22 membership allows Trainz+ to be installed, as I have done. But does the monthly membership for TRS22 still apply without having Trainz+.

Can someone please clarify.
Cheers,
Val.

I took up my Trainz Plus subscription when the annual subscription gave you TRS22 to keep, even if you discontinued your subscription, but I cannot answer for the situation today. It may well be the case that cancelling the subscription will revert your Trainz+ back to TRS19, which would be a significant step back from TRS22 and an even greater step back from Trainz+.

Surveyor 2.0 is a steep learning curve and, after 20 years of using the original (now called S1.0 or Classic) Surveyor, it was a difficult transition and I am still learning new tricks with it. But now, apart from a few operations that have not yet been added to S2.0, I now use S2.0 exclusively. It has proven to be a significant time saver on many repetitive construction tasks as well as offering options that Classic simply does not have.

My experiences and opinions.

If you want just TRS22, you can purchase it from the store. But S2.0 isn't the only feature so you'll miss out on other things as well, Of course, Trainz Plus also has Classic so there's no need to uninstall, just don't switch over S20.

I'd recommend spending some more time checking S20 out since once you've got the hang of things, it is way quicker and easier to use.

There are a bunch of videos here: https://www.youtube.com/@n3vgames and the docs page here
https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs/s20-tutorials
and here
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_S20_Tools#Surveyor_2.0_vs_Surveyor_Classic

Thanks for response pware and Tony. Let me explain a bit further. I now have both Trainz+ AND TRS22! Surely I do not need both.
Hypothetically...
Lets say I uninstall TRS22 from my machine does that impact the use of Trainz+? Or vice versa. I can keep monthly subscription, thats not an issue. Just do not see why I need both versions.

Val.

Last edited:
If you keep your subscription, then you can have both, or install one or the other. Sometimes people don’t want to deal with the beta features so they just have Trainz 22. You could just keep the plus version and ignore the plus features. Up to you. They are two separate versions.

since you have a monthly subscription, I think you will not have either version if you stop subscribing and left with Trainz 19 and other versions you have purchased. You can purchase outright or take advantage of the deals that come up and convert to annual subscription and then you can keep Trainz 22. I’m not sure when or if that deal will come up again.

You could just keep the plus version and ignore the plus features. Up to you.

Maybe that clears up my intial q. Thanks.
Having both versions takes space and can be freed up. I will therefore uninstall TRS22 and keep Trainz+. That way I can explore S2.0 occasionally to learn it.
Cheers,
Val.

Just make sure that you are not confused about the executable file name for TRS22. My Trainz Plus is installed as C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019\TRS22.exe - note that it is in the Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 sub folder (because I took up the subscription when I had TRS19) and that there is no Trainz Plus folder nor a Trainz_Plus.exe.

My TRS19PE was simply "converted" to Trainz Plus - there was no separate download and install. My username and password unlocked the Plus features that were already built into TRS19PE.

So deleting TRS22 may actually delete your TRS19 and Trainz+ installs as well.

My understanding is that if you decide to drop the subscription then your copy of Trainz Plus (TRS22.exe) will revert back to TRS19.exe by disabling all the Plus features.

My best advice unless you get better and more up to date instructions from N3V - don't uninstall anything.

My best advice unless you get better and more up to date instructions from N3V - don't uninstall anything.

Well pware I have uninstalled TRS22 from my system completely. Have kept/started Trainz+ as per normal execution...no issues experienced. Both classic and S20 surveyor modes work fine in that version [Trainz+], after uninstall of 22.
Conclusion, well for me anyway, the uninstall procedure went fine with no issues.

Ta everyone for help and tips.
Val.

Concerning surveyor 2.0. It is worth the learning pain. I have been using Trainz for about 20 years, so I grew up using the classic surveyor. About 9 months ago I decided to give 2.0 a try. There are several really good guides on how to use the various tools. I started with one of my existing routes to experiment with. It took about a month before I felt comfortable with it. After about 3 months I found that I hardly ever used the classic version because in most cases 2.0 was faster and easier to use. If you use Trainz a lot the time investment is well worth it. You will never look back.

The other benefit of course is that going forward all the new feature like HD terrain will only be available on 2.0.

Many years ago one of the reasons I opted for Trainz over an alternative rail simulator which at the time I thought had far better graphics was that its surveyor was very similar to what S2.0 is today and I thought then it was over complicated and fiddly for what was being achieved hence went with Trainz. I can't remember its name now but wonder how they might compare today. Peter

Just make sure that you are not confused about the executable file name for TRS22. My Trainz Plus is installed as C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019\TRS22.exe - note that it is in the Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 sub folder (because I took up the subscription when I had TRS19) and that there is no Trainz Plus folder nor a Trainz_Plus.exe.

My TRS19PE was simply "converted" to Trainz Plus - there was no separate download and install. My username and password unlocked the Plus features that were already built into TRS19PE.

So deleting TRS22 may actually delete your TRS19 and Trainz+ installs as well.

My understanding is that if you decide to drop the subscription then your copy of Trainz Plus (TRS22.exe) will revert back to TRS19.exe by disabling all the Plus features.

That is true Been there done that what a pain

Back